• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EAST TX: East Texas BMW+ Motorcycle Club Meeting First Thursday

Third Saturday Ride for December

Ron is leading the Third Saturday Ride (TSR) on December 19th. We will depart from Legend's in Jacksonville at 8:30 a.m., planning to arrive at the Moosehead Cafe in Crockett for the Two Wheeled Texans Pie Run.

The Pie Run thread is here.

Map to the Moosehead is here.

Ron built a GPX file which I am attaching to this post.

Attachments

• December 15 TSR.gpx
    75.7 KB · Views: 232
Re: Third Saturday Ride for December

Ron built a GPX file which I am attaching to this post.

I can't read the ,gpx file here at the office. Is this the FM route (23-228-etc) through Percilla?

Thinking about riding up from Lufkin, then in to Crockett with the group, if that's ok...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Re: Third Saturday Ride for December

I can't read the ,gpx file here at the office. Is this the FM route (23-228-etc) through Percilla?

Leave J'ville on 2138 to US 84 to Rusk, 752 to Alto, 294 to 228 to 2022 to Crockett - 76 miles.

Thanks for posting the info Rich. I'm planning on meeting and riding with the group, Cameron might also be coming along. Thanks Ron for leading the ride

The January meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Club will be held Thursday, the 7th at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

Not sure about a Third Saturday Ride for January at the moment, we can discuss it Thursday.

Hope to see you at the meeting.

It's a new year, so it's time to pay your dues. It's $10 per member or $15 for a family membership. You don't have to pay to play; you can participate in all club activities and not pay dues and no one is going to say a word. However, those few dollars from lots of people lets the club buy stickers to give out, maybe fund a club picnic this year, etc. You can see me or Rick at any future meeting or club event (like the Texas National Picnic May 21), or you can mail it to me (see address down below), or PayPal it as a gift to me ( detbmw@gmail.com ) and we'll get it in the bank. We collected $100 in dues last night at the meeting.

No club rides are scheduled for January or February. There have been suggestions that we have a spring (April) camp out as well as repeating our September camp out, destination to be determined. It should be at least a three-day weekend event. Could be Arkansas, East or Southeast Texas, or maybe the Hill Country.

We are going to put together a club-sponsored Iron Butt Ride in April. We have an IBA member (Ron) who is willing to serve as begin & end witness and can explain the process for documentation and stops (a few club members have accomplished this). We will publish a route that will enable you to travel the required 1,000+ miles - doing it within 24 hours is on you. This is intended to be an individual ride, but if you want to ride with a buddy, you certainly can. Large groups are discouraged. More info will be posted as we firm this up. This ride is meant to be for those folks who want to obtain Iron Butt certification - this is not a casual Saturday ride. For those who want to go for a Bun Burner (1,500 in 36 hours), we can also assist.

Tom has suggested a Hare & Hound ride with a picnic at the end (try to follow an unknown route using clues). It should be a lot of fun. We need to do a good bit of planning for this and pick a date. We will share more info when we firm it up.

Finally on the subject of club rides, if you have an idea for a Saturday ride, please let me ( detbmw@gmail.com ) or Ron ( rotorblade@gmail.com ) know. If you don't want to lead the ride, but you have an idea for one or more routes, write up your ideas for rides and share it with us and we will try to make it happen. We have been starting in Jacksonville because it is fairly central to everyone, but we don't have to start there every time. Give it some thought.

The ETBMW+MC was chartered in Dec '87, so we are are going into our 29th year. The club has seen strong years, and very weak years - your participation makes the club work. We have really taken off with membership and activities in the last year. Hopefully the trend will continue.

My address for mailed dues:
Rich Barnhart
PO Box 630903
Nacogdoches, TX 75963

Thanks and I hope to see you at a meeting or a club event.

Last edited:
The February meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Club will be held this Thursday, the 4th at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

Hope to see you at the meeting. I plan to be back on my K75S.

Good, but cold, ride tonight. We had 12 or so in attendance. Nice turn out.

The March meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Motorcycle Club will be held this Thursday, the 3rd at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

Ron has worked up a route for a Third Saturday Ride for March 19th, starting in Jacksonville (Legend's Burgers parking lot) and heading south for lunch at the Pickett house in Woodville. Plan for four hours or more round trip on the bike (mostly FMs), plus an hour or more of social interaction in Woodville. We'll say 9 a.m. departure.

Now for some news on the Fourth Annual Texas National Picnic (May 21st)! We have reached out to a few moto-vendors for door prizes and 18 have responded. The current event sponsors are at the bottom of the email. We are going to have a pile of 50 or more door prizes, including: 14 gift certificates ($10, $20, $30, and higher) to different moto-websites; more than 25 t-shirts; two $20 Texas Hill Country ADV guidebooks; several items retailing for $80 up to $170; and, more on the way. We will also have about 200 freebie give-aways so that everyone leaves with a couple items (key chains, sports bottles, visor wipes, moto-calendars). Oh, did I mention the % off Butler Map coupon that every attendee will get? (You'll have to attend to see how much!) We are also looking at some special prizes for Airhead riders. Should be a heck of a picnic.

We will need to have a working party in April to help sort and organize the door prizes & the thank you letters to the vendors. First suggestion offered was to meet at Hairsmith's garage/house one Saturday in April - more info to come.

Also, someone has offered up a suggestion on how we might turn the one-day Texas National Picnic into a Friday-to-Sunday event.

I hope we see you at the meeting, the TSR, and the TNP (and working party). We have several things to discuss at this month's meeting.

Rich

TNP sponsor list: Adaptiv Technologies, Best Rest Products, BMW MOA, BMW Motorcycles of North Dallas, Bullrack, Butler Maps, Cyclegear, Euro Motoelectrics, Giant Loop Moto, Motolight, Motorcycle Gear, Piggybackstraps, Rocky Mountain ATV, Texas Adventure Rider, Spiegler USA, Stop-N-Go, Wolfman Motorcycle Luggage, Wunderlich America.

Looking forward to the FATNP in May ad would be glad to do the Working Party thing but I'll be Out West all month.

Dunno (I've lost touch and don't know what's going on out there these days (website was waaay out of date last time I checked), but for a 3-day event it might be possible to "rent" ETME Acres.

EDIT: 'Nother thought: could camp out at my place here in the Cushing Suburbs, abt 3 acres, flat, shade, plenty of water, eminently tentable (once I get the BushHog guy over here and fix my Mow-de-Lawn - leaky carb), and a couple of generators to provide lighting/music/whatever away from the house. 16 mi to Rusk (Fat Dogs, Brookshires, Fast Food joints; 23mi to Nac WM, 25mi to downtown J'ville, Cafe abt 80yds from my door, another 5mi up the road, etc.

Last edited:
Tonight we discussed the Texas National Picnic (TNP) on May 21st and our ton of door prizes (we might hit 70 or so). We received five Arai ball caps today and a pledge from MotoAmerica (moto-racing) for some door prizes & t-shirts. We will be holding a TNP workday at Tom Smith's house/garage on Saturday, April 9th at about 10 a.m. (AKA - Nacogdoches BMW Service Center - pm or email me for address if you need it). We will organize all the door prizes and freebies that attendees will get, stuff the swag bags, and review the thank-you letters for the vendors. Please let me know if you plan to attend and help out. If we have a large turnout, we might throw some brats on the grill. Otherwise after we finish up, we'll probably grab a burger or Bar-B-Que locally for lunch.

As announced previously, the Third Saturday Ride for March will leave the parking lot of Legend's in Jacksonville at 9 a.m on March 19th, headed to Woodville for lunch. Should make it back by mid-afternoon.

We are going to take off the weekend of April 22nd for a spring club campout near Mena, Arkansas. You can ride up either Friday the 22nd or Saturday the 23rd. The group will return on Sunday. We plan to camp at one place this time, instead of moving to a new campground as we ride around the state. The CMA has a campground just south of Mena called Iron Mountain; it's only about four hours from Jacksonville. We'll share details on departure times and locations as we get closer in case you want to ride up with a group.

Last, but definitely not least, we gained two new members tonight, Jim O'Conner riding a wing (with a lot of miles on it) and Jerry Pope riding an R1200RT. Welcome Jim & Jerry! We've added four new members this year (Alan Petrea & his wife in January - I'm not going to try and list Alan's current bikes, but I've seen a really slick R100GS) and 15 members have paid their 2016 dues. We're off to a very good start on what could be a great year for the club!

Hope to see you at a meetup or on the road!

The Third Saturday Ride is this weekend from Legends in Jacksonville to the Picket House in Woodville via back roads mostly. Leaving Legends at 9 am.

It will be a bit under 300 miles round trip.

Hope to see you there.

Back