• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EAST TX: East Texas BMW+ Motorcycle Club Meeting First Thursday

Texas National Picnic at Love's Lookout Park This Saturday!

We are ready to do this.

We got charcoal.

We got door prizes!

We got decent weather predicted for Saturday.

We got road construction on US 69 right outside Love's Lookout Park (watch for gravel).

We got riders coming in from across Texas and from border states.

We got volunteers showing up at 8:30 a.m. (I'm bringing kolaches).

We got Hairsmith working as Sergeant-At-Arms (mind yourself around the door prizes).

We got thank-you letters for attendees to sign to send to the door-prize donors.

So get your butts in gear (and your bikes too) and get to the Texas National Picnic this Saturday.

Hope to see you there!

The June meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Motorcycle Club will be held this Thursday, the 2nd at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

There will be a business meeting at 5:30. There have been a couple ideas floated to help with club growth, including club business cards, t-shirts, and an expanded website. We should also start talking about the Fifth Annual Texas National Picnic (May 19-21, 2017). Try to make the 5:30 meeting if you have ideas or want to be part of the discussion.

For the Third Saturday Ride (June 18th) we will be headed to the Farmhouse Cafe in Huntsville. We will depart from the parking lot of Legend's Burgers. There will be two groups, a street group and a dual-sport group. Ron will lead the street group (probably leaving at 9 a.m.) and a rider-yet-to-be-named will lead the DS group and explore a few dirt roads on the way down (probably leaving at 8 a.m.).

Hope we see you at the meeting and the TSR.

The club's Third Saturday Ride from Jacksonville to Huntsville is this Saturday, the 18th. We'll be stands up at 9 a.m. from the parking lot of Legend's Burgers headed for the Farm House Cafe in Huntsville.

We have a set of GPS files, one headed south and one headed back north. Let me know if you want them.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

Rich

We had a great ride last Saturday down to Huntsville with 10 riders participating. It was a great day for a ride and Ron took us on the Great Texas Prison Tour as we neared Huntsville. Thanks to all who participated.

On Saturday we also picked up a new member, Jeff Mountain (bikerdoc here). Many of us knew Jeff before he moved way up north to Vermont. That puts us at 48 new & renewing members for the year. Our high was 49 at the end of 2015.

We also sold several t-shirts, so we are up to 49 total. We will take orders through the next club meeting on July 7th. If you haven't ordered and you would like a club t-shirt, get in touch with me or talk to me at the meeting on the 7th.

The July meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Motorcycle Club will be held this Thursday, the 7th at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

We will take any last t-shirt orders then. I will be placing the order on Monday, July 11th.

Ron & I have discussed ideas for Third Saturday Rides for the rest of the year.

For July & August we will do a breakfast ride to try to beat the heat. The July ride will be on the 16th to Fuglers Feed Trough & Market (4049 FM1970, Carthage, TX 75633), plan to arrive about 8:30. Please note, we WILL NOT meet in Jacksonville and ride down - this is intended to be an individual or small group ride. If you need help connecting with someone in your area to ride down with, let me know and I'll try to help.

We will figure out a location for the August third Saturday breakfast ride.

The September third Saturday ride will be a three-day camp out in Arkansas on the weekend of Sept 17th. More info to come.

We are working out the details on the Oct - Dec rides.

Hope to see you at the meeting and on a ride - have a happy 4th!

As (almost) always, looking forward to it.

The Third Saturday Ride for July (this Saturday the 16th) is a breakfast ride to Fuglers Feed Trough & Market, 4049 FM 1970, Carthage, TX 75633. This is intended as an individual ride - we will not be meeting as a group in Jacksonville. Plan to arrive for breakfast at Fuglers about 8:30.

I met the group several months back at Legend's for a Thursday night but never signed up. I live in Houston and have a lake house in J'ville so can't be a regular. Anyway I'd like to join you this Saturday and if anyone is interested in an afternoon on the water afterwards we can arrange that too. Burgers on the grill, whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not going to make the breakfast today. I left early this morning on my 2015 GS with the keyless ride with plans to explore some unimproved roads along the way to Carthage. I went through some soft sand and saw that both the abs and tc lights came on and stayed on. Found that strange. I stopped and tried to reset but they wouldn't so I thought I would restart the engine to see if that would reset everything. When I pushed the ignition button the engine wouldn't turn off so I decided the best thing to do was to get it home in the event it wouldn't start when I turn the engine off using the switch on the handlebar. Got home, the ignition switch still wouldn't turn the engine off, stopped the engine with the handlebar switch, reached down and toggled the ignition switch and it works fine. Had to reset the abs to get it back on, but the tc reset itself. Anybody heard of this happening to others?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The August meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Motorcycle Club will be held this Thursday, the 4th at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

T-shirts are in! I will bring them to the meeting.

The Third Saturday Ride for August is a breakfast ride to Tiffany's Restaurant at Lake Fork Marina, just outside of Alba. Please note, we WILL NOT meet in Jacksonville and ride up - this is intended to be an individual or small group ride. If you need help connecting with someone in your area to ride up with, let me know and I'll try to help.

Hope to see you at the meeting and on a ride!

Rich

Last edited:
Rich,

I proudly wore my new East Texas BMW Plus Motorcycle Club tee shirt while picking up my new RS from BMW Omaha...

-Jeff

duS41F

Attachments

• Day One Mile Zero II.jpg
    Day One Mile Zero II.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 273
Congrats on the t-shirt and RS Jeff! I'll be looking for a ride report in the near future (the RS, not the t-shirt :lol2:).

Thanks, Glenn. The R1100S always has a home in my garage. With the RS assuming touring duties, the R1100S enters semi-retirement primarily in local and regional service.

-Jeff

The Third Saturday Ride for August is a breakfast ride to Tiffany's Restaurant at Lake Fork Marina, just outside of Alba. Meet the restaurant about 8:30.

See you there.

The September meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Motorcycle Club will be held this Thursday, the 1st at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

We have nine t-shirts left over (sizes: L, XL, 2XL) - $15 each.

On the third weekend in September (16-18) we'll be headed back to Arkansas for a Friday through Sunday camp out at the Charlton Recreation Area in the Ouachita National Forest (20 miles west of Hot Springs). It should be a lot of fun. Please respond to me or Ron if you want to ride up with us or if you plan to meet us there.

Jeff & Bob C are headed to Eureka Springs that same weekend for an IBMWR gathering (motel).

A group of us are headed to Birmingham, AL on Friday, October 7th for the Barber Vintage Festival (http://www.barbermuseum.org/events/barber-vintage-festival/), returning on Sunday (motel). Let me know if you want to ride along.

Finally, we are planning a club ride to BMW Motorcycles of North Dallas for the Third Saturday Ride in October (the 15th). They carry BMW, Ducati, Triumph, MV Agusta, & Ural. I plan to test ride everything they'll let me climb on.

One additional event. A couple of us are headed to the Lake O' the Pines Rallye, now at Diamond Don's Campground, one mile north of Jefferson on Highway 49, on October 1st. See more here: http://www.ntnoa.org/16loprallye.htm

Last edited:
Upcoming Fall Rides:

Jefferson:
The North Texas Norton's Owners Association is holding the 32nd Lake O' the Pines Rallye at Diamond Don’s campground, 1 mile north of Jefferson on Highway 49. http://www.ntnoa.org/16loprallye.htm
The rallye runs from September 29th – October 2nd (with on-site camping), the bike show is on Saturday, October 1st. I plan to attend on Saturday the 1st.

Birmingham, AL
A group is headed to Birmingham, AL on Friday, October 7th for the Barber Vintage Festival (http://www.barbermuseum.org/events/barber-vintage-festival/), returning on Sunday (motel trip). Let me know if you want to ride along.

Plano
We are planning a club ride to BMW Motorcycles of North Dallas for the Third Saturday Ride in October (the 15th). They carry BMW, Ducati, Triumph, MV Agusta, & Ural. We'll leave from Legend's parking lot in Jacksonville.

Lafayette, LA
Jeff is headed down to the 15th Cajun Swamp Scooter Rally, at Bayou Wilderness RV Resort (www.bwrvr.com) near Lafayette, Louisiana, November 11-13.
According to Jeff it's a great rally, great gumbo, and the Atchafalaya festival in nearby Henderson on Saturday is fun. http://www.basinfestival.com This is a camping trip.

Nacogdoches County
Here is the best yet! (In my humble opinion)
On November 19th we will be hosting a club picnic at a ranch in Nacogdoches County for members, family, and the Red River BMW Riders (from the greater Shreveport area).

Anyone who wants can campout Saturday night. At least a few of us will be spending the night.

There will be target shooting for pistols and skeet shooting (we could use a couple folks to volunteer shotguns). Bill Plunkett will provide the clay pigeons.

There are trails available for dual-sport riding if you want to let a little air out of your tires and take that GS off road (or Super Tenere, etc.). There are only 617 acres of trails available to ride; hopefully you won't get bored (or lost). There's also an air compressor on site to get you ready for the road later. There are 3 ATVs and 1 side-by-side to ride. Bill, Tom, & I were playing on them last weekend - lots of fun.

Just like National Parks - pack out what you pack in. There's also an indoor restroom with modern plumbing & a shower available. There are 2 grills and a fire pit. The campers will have a fire and can sit around and solve the world's problems.

There are outside chairs for everyone; no need to bring anything but your bike and your appetite - and camping gear if you're spending the night, and maybe a pistol or three. If you don't have a tent but want to spend the night, you could probably throw a sleeping bag & a pad on the concrete floor in the nearby building.

We have to know how many will attend so we have enough burgers, brats, chips, etc. If you show up unexpected, you may have to wait for leftovers or ride into Cushing and grab something.

We'll put out directions later. It's a couple miles south of Cushing, on Flower Mountain. It's the highest point in the county and one of the most gorgeous spots in East Texas. You don't want to miss this. As Tom would say, "Ït'll be a hoot!" We'll all be thanking BIll Plunkett for quite a while for delivering on this.

Nacogdoches County
Here is the best yet! (In my humble opinion)
On November 19th we will be hosting a club picnic at a ranch in Nacogdoches County for members, family, and the Red River BMW Riders (from the greater Shreveport area).

Anyone who wants can campout Saturday night. At least a few of us will be spending the night.

There will be target shooting for pistols and skeet shooting (we could use a couple folks to volunteer shotguns). Bill Plunkett will provide the clay pigeons.

There are trails available for dual-sport riding if you want to let a little air out of your tires and take that GS off road (or Super Tenere, etc.). There are only 617 acres of trails available to ride; hopefully you won't get bored (or lost). There's also an air compressor on site to get you ready for the road later. There are 3 ATVs and 1 side-by-side to ride. Bill, Tom, & I were playing on them last weekend - lots of fun.

Just like National Parks - pack out what you pack in. There's also an indoor restroom with modern plumbing & a shower available. There are 2 grills and a fire pit. The campers will have a fire and can sit around and solve the world's problems.

There are outside chairs for everyone; no need to bring anything but your bike and your appetite - and camping gear if you're spending the night, and maybe a pistol or three. If you don't have a tent but want to spend the night, you could probably throw a sleeping bag & a pad on the concrete floor in the nearby building.

We have to know how many will attend so we have enough burgers, brats, chips, etc. If you show up unexpected, you may have to wait for leftovers or ride into Cushing and grab something.

We'll put out directions later. It's a couple miles south of Cushing, on Flower Mountain. It's the highest point in the county and one of the most gorgeous spots in East Texas. You don't want to miss this. As Tom would say, "Ït'll be a hoot!" We'll all be thanking BIll Plunkett for quite a while for delivering on this.

THIS sounds like fun!! Would bringing kids with their dirt bikes be okay or is this more of an adult only kind of thing?

Great looking agenda Rich ! The cooler temps will bring me out of my hole, especially the Nac ride, my old stomping ground

Last edited:
The October meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Motorcycle Club will be held this Thursday, the 6th at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

We have nine t-shirts left over (sizes: L, XL, 2XL) - $15 each..

A group is headed to Birmingham, AL next Friday, October 7th for the Barber Vintage Festival (http://www.barbermuseum.org/events/barber-vintage-festival/), returning on Sunday (motel). Let me know if you want to ride along.

Also, we are planning a club ride to BMW Motorcycles of North Dallas for the Third Saturday Ride in October (the 15th). They carry BMW, Ducati, Triumph, MV Agusta, & Ural. We will be leaving from Legend's parking lot.

Rich

Back