• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas help

10-95

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The wife and I will be leading a group from work, maybe 10-15 people, to East Texas for an overnight trip. I would appreciate some help from the E TX folks on possible destinations as far as where to stay and night life.

I was thinking the Longview or Tyler area just for ease of finding a halfway affordable hotel. We're really open to just about any destination and would need somewhere good to eat supper and have some evening adult beverages with some good conversation.

Thanks for any help!

My few trips thru Tyler have left me with a bad impression , it seems I encounter a rather large number of Houston drivers when in Tyler or some of the locals went to the same driving classes , or maybe it's just me . I avoid it now . I have not made many trips to East Texas but have passed thru a lot and have enjoyed it all the time , I check my map and tend to pick FM roads heading in the general direction I want to go . The Texas State Railroad is always worth a stop , In fact there is a lot of Railroad history all over east Texas . LaFittes southwest of Palastiene has the best Cajun food I have found in Texas . If you go south stop for lunch at Momma Jack's in Kountz . Somewhere in Kilgore there is a oilfield mueseum I would like to check out . Jefferson is a nice area , I found some nice dirt roads northeast of Nacadoches . There is plenty of intresting stuff to see and its so close , Now I am talking myself into a East Texas trip . SEYA

My few trips thru Tyler have left me with a bad impression , it seems I encounter a rather large number of Houston drivers when in Tyler or some of the locals went to the same driving classes , or maybe it's just me .

'Tis true... you need to pay attention in Tyler (since you'll be the only one who does).

I don't have any suggestions on where to go but when you figure that out I'll gladly suggest some roads to get there.

'Tis true... you need to pay attention in Tyler (since you'll be the only one who does).

According to most insurance companies, including mine, Austin is worse. Thats my personal expereince as well.

Anyway, Tyler and Longview are nice towns. Plenty to do there and plenty of places to eat. Not much thats totally unique to the area but plenty of the normal chains. I always like Mercados or On-the Border for mexican food. They've got a good bbq place on David Dr. and the service is great. They cater to bikers too. Can't remember the name of the place but you should try the bacon-wrapped stuffed peppers and ribs. They serve steaks too. Simply awesome. :eat:

Dave

Country Tavern in Kilgore and any of the Bodacious BBQ places are worth a stop in. :)

If the adult beverages are a key item, you might want to consider Shreveport so you can get around the repressive blue laws. You can buy a beer at a restaurant in Longview, but you have to join their "club" first. My friends and I maintained a library of club cards that we would share as needed, but the principle still galls me.

Shreveport on the other hand has great restaurants, a river, live music, and several saloons. It's only 45 minutes east of Longview on the 20.

Dave.

Back