• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas Riders?

I learned a BIG lesson a couple of weeks ago. I live in East Texas and took the 1290 for some back (dirt) roads. I have a track that leads me to Melissa and is 90% dirt. Problem is that some of it is Black dirt (we call it Black Gumbo). I got into some Massive ruts caused from a giant combine. The ruts were muddy and filled with water, so I tried to go on top and in between the ruts. I made it about half way and it got a little soft and over I went. Bike fell INTO one of the ruts upside down. (Black Gumbo) I could not for the life of me pick that beast (1290) up. I was by myself. Had phone service so I called AAA. They couldn't get a truck close enough so they called 2 other BIG guys to come and get the bike up. Once up I could get it out. HUGE lesson learned about that bike. If it was ANY of my other bikes that would NOT have happened. I was totally Embarrassed and completely exhausted. My dirt bike friends are still laughing at me. Moral ro that story is be Very careful what type of riding you do on a Big bike especially if you're alone. Deep mud on a 1290 is NOT your friend.
No pics?

We really have to dial it back a notch or two when out by ourselves... specially on a heavy motorcycle. One of the crew talked about the perils of our "used to could" syndrome. As in... I used to could do that.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
We really have to dial it back a notch or two when out by ourselves... specially on a heavy motorcycle. One of the crew talked about the perils of our "used to could" syndrome. As in... I used to could do that.
Then there are guys like me that never rode when I was younger, so there is no "used to could"... :wary: