• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas Riders?

I learned a BIG lesson a couple of weeks ago. I live in East Texas and took the 1290 for some back (dirt) roads. I have a track that leads me to Melissa and is 90% dirt. Problem is that some of it is Black dirt (we call it Black Gumbo). I got into some Massive ruts caused from a giant combine. The ruts were muddy and filled with water, so I tried to go on top and in between the ruts. I made it about half way and it got a little soft and over I went. Bike fell INTO one of the ruts upside down. (Black Gumbo) I could not for the life of me pick that beast (1290) up. I was by myself. Had phone service so I called AAA. They couldn't get a truck close enough so they called 2 other BIG guys to come and get the bike up. Once up I could get it out. HUGE lesson learned about that bike. If it was ANY of my other bikes that would NOT have happened. I was totally Embarrassed and completely exhausted. My dirt bike friends are still laughing at me. Moral ro that story is be Very careful what type of riding you do on a Big bike especially if you're alone. Deep mud on a 1290 is NOT your friend.
No pics?

We really have to dial it back a notch or two when out by ourselves... specially on a heavy motorcycle. One of the crew talked about the perils of our "used to could" syndrome. As in... I used to could do that.

We really have to dial it back a notch or two when out by ourselves... specially on a heavy motorcycle. One of the crew talked about the perils of our "used to could" syndrome. As in... I used to could do that.

Then there are guys like me that never rode when I was younger, so there is no "used to could"... :wary:

I'm a dual sport rider from Longview, would love to connect with more riding buddies. Particularly people game for some weekenders/adventures into AR. Also been to Barnwell mountain a couple times and have a membership I should probably utilize.

I'm in Greenville and spend most of my time riding offload as well as adventure biking in Deep East Texas as well as Oklahoma and Arkansas.
What bike do you ride and what type of riding are you interested in? email me at wfo75080 at yahoo.

I am interested as well. My Mom and Dad have a place in Tyler that we visit a lot. I've been thinking about bringing a bike up for the weekend.

I learned a BIG lesson a couple of weeks ago. I live in East Texas and took the 1290 for some back (dirt) roads. I have a track that leads me to Melissa and is 90% dirt. Problem is that some of it is Black dirt (we call it Black Gumbo). I got into some Massive ruts caused from a giant combine. The ruts were muddy and filled with water, so I tried to go on top and in between the ruts. I made it about half way and it got a little soft and over I went. Bike fell INTO one of the ruts upside down. (Black Gumbo) I could not for the life of me pick that beast (1290) up. I was by myself. Had phone service so I called AAA. They couldn't get a truck close enough so they called 2 other BIG guys to come and get the bike up. Once up I could get it out. HUGE lesson learned about that bike. If it was ANY of my other bikes that would NOT have happened. I was totally Embarrassed and completely exhausted. My dirt bike friends are still laughing at me. Moral ro that story is be Very careful what type of riding you do on a Big bike especially if you're alone. Deep mud on a 1290 is NOT your friend.

A few months ago I learned a similar lesson about riding alone. Luckily my bike is a little less than twice my body weight so I was able to pull it out myself, but it took at least an hour, and I wasn't sure I could.

Mid way through extraction. I lifted front tire and proceeded to rotate the bike around so it would be pointed downhill.

Photo after sweet victory. After rotating I was able to wrestle the rear tire out of the mud. Solid footing was hard to come by, and no doubt if I was on anything heavier I would have had to call for help.

Yeah

Great photos!!

Hit-me-up if you're headed to Barnwell. I may get back into the DS game this spring - currently have a few enduros and a trials bike. I'm also in Longview.

I'm in Diana and know just about every back road north of Longview. I'm riding a Super Tenere or a Ural at the time. Maybe one day I'll put a seal in the shock on my XRR and have a proper dual sport to ride.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I live in East Texas, between Kilgore and Henderson. There are some pretty good safe routes out here if you search them out..

A few months ago I learned a similar lesson about riding alone. Luckily my bike is a little less than twice my body weight so I was able to pull it out myself, but it took at least an hour, and I wasn't sure I could.

Mid way through extraction. I lifted front tire and proceeded to rotate the bike around so it would be pointed downhill.
View attachment 253518
Photo after sweet victory. After rotating I was able to wrestle the rear tire out of the mud. Solid footing was hard to come by, and no doubt if I was on anything heavier I would have had to call for help.
View attachment 253519
Yeah
I've had similar experiences on my GSs, especially the 1150 GS, before I learned to be a bit more cautious when riding alone... :wary:

I'm in Greenville and spend most of my time riding offload as well as adventure biking in Deep East Texas as well as Oklahoma and Arkansas.
What bike do you ride and what type of riding are you interested in? email me at wfo75080 at yahoo.
Ever been to Cycleland in Nacogdoches? I'd be up for dirt roads too. Big bike stuff.

Last edited:
Been a while since I rode Cycleland. Back when I raced TSEC they had an enduro there every year. Was fun. I'm taking my grandson to the SX Saturday then riding Red River unless it rains out. If it rains out I could do Cycle land but I'm not a member. I'm heading down to my house in Galveston on the 9th. I'd love to do SHNF. Grew up riding there. Last time I rode there was a National Enduro. The dirt roads up here are under water.

Anybody riding this weekend 2/22/20 Kilgore Longview Henderson??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested in Barnwell or whatever else you have in mind. I'm in Longview on a KTM 250 (Enduro) and Beta 250 (Trials). Shoot me a text if you'd like to go to Barnwell. My cell is 9 oh three suven to cero 5118

Been a while since I rode Cycleland. Back when I raced TSEC they had an enduro there every year. Was fun. I'm taking my grandson to the SX Saturday then riding Red River unless it rains out. If it rains out I could do Cycle land but I'm not a member. I'm heading down to my house in Galveston on the 9th. I'd love to do SHNF. Grew up riding there. Last time I rode there was a National Enduro. The dirt roads up here are under water.
My plan is to be at Cycleland Sunday, I'm a member. Let me know and I'll hit SHNF with you if possible! Enjoy the sx.

A group of us are taking dirt bikes to Barnwell tomorrow. Getting there 10ish if anyones interested.

Hoping to resuscitate this thread. Riders in East Texas? I'm at the south end of Rayburn..Angelina NF area on a KLX 250. Anyone wanna hit some back roads and trails?

Attachments

• image_50430209.JPG
    image_50430209.JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 165
Back