• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ebay and a stolen bike

Zonie

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Ebert
A friend of mine in Albuquerque had 16 bikes stolen from a storage building at his cabin in the east mountains just outside of town. A neighbor called to let him know that the building was open and he discovered the theft. 5 of the bikes were recovered in town when they were offered to someone who was a friend of the victim. 2 people were arrested at first because the sheriff thought they were in possession of stolen good and released only after further investigation it was determined they were in fact the thieves. Of course they are in the wind. 6 more have been recovered in Colorado but haven't been returned because of juristional BS. the local sheriff has to have the NM state police to contact the Colorado state police who contact the local sheriff. That still leaves 6 bikes missing. Doing a quick search on Ebay found the 1950 Ariel SQ4 that was stolen. The sheriff contacted Ebay and waited several weeks before getting a reply, only to be told they need a warrant. As of now Ebay hasn't responded. I would think that Ebay would work quickly to help solve crimes, doesn't seem to be the case. I know the bike because I and did the restoration of it 35 years ago and sold it to him 20 years ago. Of the other bikes I'm told there is 1 Greeves and 4 Husky's still missing.

This is absolutely horrible!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My friend in Cedar Crest NM, just sent me an up date. Doesn't sound good. He did hear back and he can go to Colorado to collect the recovered bikes in Dolores Colorado. Down side is there is a shelter in place order in NM and maybe in Colorado. Here is his email to me.
You will have to scroll down to read it, more bikes are still missing than I thought. He isn't one to sell his old bikes just in case you were wondering. The first part of his email to me is very telling.
Take care and stay healthy.
John

• photo

Thu, Mar 26 at 7:44 PM
    there is a warrant for the bad guy. but the bigger item is that since we know the bike sold on ebay, probably by a 3rd party seller, we need ebay records to find the buyer. ebay will not release any information even to police without a subpoena. detective has applied for one but nothing has been issued yet.

still missing no vins and probably gone forever; a beat up 250 husky, a mid 70's 400 yamaha ( probably stripped and parted as the tank only was at the bad guys house), a beat bultaco 125 sherpa s, two 1976 250 bultaco alpinas ( forded the rio grande on one of these) , and my favorite dirt rider, a 79 cr250 honda.

still gone

with title and vin is a 86 srx yamaha . stock but distinctive for a srx as it was dark matte grey with small white yamaha on the tank faces vin jya2ef001ga000893
    motor number 2ef000893

at yamaha 125 red white looks new vin 444117587

greeves griffen engine gpf123 frame 60L389

Hey John, when did the theft occur?
The theft was discovered late January or early February. He hadn't up to his place in the mountains for several week due to work. Only knew about it when a neighbor called him.
John

Got an email from my friend. The detective says the judge still hasn't issued a subpoena for the records from Ebay.
And you wonder why people don't trust the court system?

Still noting from the so called judge. Wonder if he has shares in Ebay?
He got word that he can pick up his bikes in Dolores CO, but would have to quarantine for 14 days when he crosses into CO. A serious catch 22 if ever I heard one.

Still noting from the so called judge. Wonder if he has shares in Ebay?
He got word that he can pick up his bikes in Dolores CO, but would have to quarantine for 14 days when he crosses into CO. A serious catch 22 if ever I heard one.

I've been trying to find out if this is correct - that is, a requirement to quarantine. It's particularly important to me because my house in Texas is up for sale and, at some point soon, I need to transport my camping trailer northward and leave it in the garage of my house in Centennial CO. I've been searching, and all I can come up with is this (below) from covid19.colorado.gov, which talks about "voluntary quarantine". If anybody has more recent definitive info, I would sure appreciate it; and so, probably, would the poor guy who needs to go collect his stolen bikes.

Frankly, I'd think the locals would be just as happy if visitors on errands of this sort did their business, then turned around and went home ASAP.

Enforcement of isolation and quarantine
  • State and local public health agencies request that Coloradans and visitors from other states or countries voluntarily cooperate with isolation and quarantine instructions.
  • State or local public health agencies may issue isolation and quarantine orders in some high-risk situations or if non-compliance is anticipated.
  • If people do not follow the orders, public health agencies can involve law enforcement.
  • If enforcement were to become necessary, the entity that issued the order (the state or local public health agency) could file an enforcement action in state district court asking a judge to enforce the order. The court could also levy fines but, on the whole, public health is more interested in compliance with the terms of the order.
  • Public health agencies are working hard to make sure the needs of people in isolation/quarantine are being met to help ensure compliance.

Not sure but that is what he was told by the people at the impound yard.
I know this is off topic, but I am thinking about the social distancing thing and the shelter in place fiasco. If grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations, big box stores, vehicle repair facilities, liquor stores, churches and gun shops are considered essential. Why not other businesses? With all the exemptions to the rules, what good are the rules?

Latest word, and it isn't good. The judge won't issue a subpoena because my friend NEVER put it in his name when he got it from me in 1999!
I gave him the title and he put it somewhere but can't find it. I have tried to get a duplicate but the state of AZ can't find any reference to the vin number and wants to inspect it which of course can't happen due to it being stolen. I have asked them to research my name and address from when I got the title, silence.

I hate to say this, but while the theft may have been out of his control, the legal predicament is kind of self-inflicted.

I hate to say this, but while the theft may have been out of his control, the legal predicament is kind of self-inflicted.
He got an ear full from me when I found out.

Attachments

• img026.jpg
    img026.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 242
I've been trying to find out if this is correct - that is, a requirement to quarantine. It's particularly important to me because my house in Texas is up for sale and, at some point soon, I need to transport my camping trailer northward and leave it in the garage of my house in Centennial CO. I've been searching, and all I can come up with is this (below) from covid19.colorado.gov, which talks about "voluntary quarantine". If anybody has more recent definitive info, I would sure appreciate it; and so, probably, would the poor guy who needs to go collect his stolen bikes.

Tim, I'm in the same boat as you with my house in Breckenridge. I read that the Colorado State Police were stopping traffic and turning around any out of state plates when going through Montrose. That's not on my route, but I don't want to drive 1000 miles to be told, turn around and go home. I'm sure an attorney would get it fixed, but I should be able to travel to my home without the hassle of some barney fife.

When I last got an email from my friend he said that he had spoken to the local Sheriff and he could come at the end of the week to get his bikes. Buy, he was doing a 1 day turn around. I would contact the Colorado state police and see what they are saying.
I have often thought that just because a mayor, or county or governor signs an "exutive order" yhay it has the force of law?

As a side note to this. On Friday I took a mental health ride and went down through Hico. There I saw all sorts of signs saying "stay calm and obey". Myself I call a serious BS to this.

Tim, I'm in the same boat as you with my house in Breckenridge. I read that the Colorado State Police were stopping traffic and turning around any out of state plates when going through Montrose. That's not on my route, but I don't want to drive 1000 miles to be told, turn around and go home. I'm sure an attorney would get it fixed, but I should be able to travel to my home without the hassle of some barney fife.

One thing we can both probably do is carry a photocopy of the front page of our house deeds. That, or a utility bill with our names on it. Worst case, they may be stopping people on I-25 and turning them around at Trinidad, but I doubt if they're smaller roads going north out of Dumas. In the meantime, the governor of Colorado has announced a gradual reopening, so it may not be a problem much longer.

Tim, I'm in the same boat as you with my house in Breckenridge. I read that the Colorado State Police were stopping traffic and turning around any out of state plates when going through Montrose.

Oh wait, you said Montrose. There's a particular state trooper there. I got a ticket from him 4 years ago. But I also encountered the same guy when I stopped & helped at an accident scene on a farm road near Montrose. Apparently, he has a reputation for making life hard for out-of-staters, so it wouldn't surprise me if that guy was stopping people and scaring them into turning around.

Update, I got a copy of the title info from AZ and forwarded it of to my friend. He got it to the detective who is taking it to the judge for him to sign off on the subpoena. I will let you know how this goes.

Got the actual title on Friday, now I need to sign off on it, after getting it notarized send it to him so he can show the cops/judge. This whole mess could have been avoided if he had put it into his name. But, at least progress is being made. Wonder how long after the judge signs off on the subpoena before Ebay responds?
The saga continues........

Keep us posted. I for one am interested in how this ends.

As of a few minutes ago the Ariel is listed on the NCIC data base. The Detective says the listing and the sale on Ebay appear to be a ruse and the bike might still be in Albuquerque.
Progress is being made. Just need to keep an eye out at shows and swap meets.

You may be right. That is what the detective says that it might still be in the Albuquerque area.
My friend said that the detective had told him that a suspected Ebay trader had been selling stolen musical instruments. But with out proof of ownership Ebay wouldn't help. I don't know how that would work? As far as I know musical instruments don't have serial numbers?

Well the Ariel showed up on oodle 5 weeks ago, which I have never heard of. Seems to be a sort of Ebay type of thing. By the ad it is still in Albuquerque.
Got an email from my friend who tells me that the DA contacted him and wanted to know if he was willing to testify once the perp is arrested? It sounds like many don't want to bother with testifying, I don't know why not? He said that the DA had no idea that some of the bikes had crossed state lines to Colorado, or the value of the SQ4. The DA was surprised that he was so willing to do so. Also, with some of the bikes crossing state lines the Feds could get involved. The attorney for Austin Batt, the in the wind perp, contacted the DA to try and arrange a plea deal. I think a jury of motorcyclists would be a good thing.
So, progress is being made.

Got an email from my friend in NM. There was a hearing yesterday and the perps lawyer asked for a continuance, the DA figures that he wasn't prepaid for this to go to trial and didn't know the value of the SQ4. Another hearing next week. One of the questions besides where is the Ariel is how and from whom did the perp find out about the bikes? Nothing else on the property was touched and he or they brought Fix-a-Flat with them expecting some of the tires to be flat.
Keep you posted.

Back