• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

eHarley?

LaserDave

Forum Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• LiveWire-970x614.jpg
    LiveWire-970x614.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 242
They first showed the concept back in 2014 and then embarked on a demo tour around the country. For some reason they shelved it, I suspect as Brammo went over to Victory and eventually died. Now that Zero continues to perform well and Alta, Energica and others are coming on, I suspect they see an opportunity.

Given that their market for "Harley-Davidson," as the traditionalists define it, is shrinking, they have to do something new and different. They need to gain market share and all the apparel and brand-image in the world isn't going to do that with the next-gen customer. The problem, of course, is each time they step outside of what is considered "Harley-Davidson," they get beat up over it. I don't envy their management for that predicament.

I personally hope: (1) they are successful in creating a quality electric motorcycle; and (2) they are judged on the quality of that motorcycle and not how well it fills the mold of what the declining demographic thinks should or shouldn't be a Harley-Davidson.

I'd ride it! . . . if it works.

Props to HD for being willing to create something that doesn't look like a traditional cruiser. The looks may be, ahem, controversial, but hey - beauty isn't everything ---- said the guy who's on his 2nd VStrom. :lol2: I wish them success.

I rode the live wire and liked it a lot. Still wasn't enough range for me to commute back and forth to work with which is where an electric bike would really shine for me. The live wire looked better than this one even though they are similar. Looks like they removed some of the covers and have that big heat sink sitting there. Perhaps there were heat issues with the live wire that required that. Still, in person it was a good looking bike, especially compared with other ebikes out there and it went well and was fun to ride.

But I'm just a Harley Davidson hater, so take that for what it's worth. ;)

Link with the reports of those who got to ride -> http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99930

Last edited:
Jason, I'll bet you hang out near biker bars & beat up people who wear doo rags and leather vests. :box:

You are assuming I could possibly beat someone up without getting my own butt kicked.

May be an expensive way to commute to work. Price?
Some employers at plants offer free eclectic charging for employees electric vehicles. I know one and think there are others.

I give HD management and engineering a kudo for forward thinking.

E-bikes will eventually be common? Or maybe scooters first?

I would miss the roar of either my Italian V-twin, or trepistoni...

I think every motorcyclist should spend some time on an electric. The instant torque is impressive and the sensation of gaining speed without gaining sound, other than wind, was a trip! I was very close to buying a Victory Empulse when they got so cheap near the end. But the thought of an unsupported iBike with soon-to-be outdated tech and power wasn't appealing. As more of them get out there, the prices will become more reasonable too.

If Alta gets just a little more reasonable, a Redshift EXR might follow me home.

I give HD management and engineering a kudo for forward thinking.

E-bikes will eventually be common? Or maybe scooters first?

I would miss the roar of either my Italian V-twin, or trepistoni...

I agree with all. And just think -- at the beginning of the last century, there was a whole generation people who probably said "I love the smell of oats in the morning. And there's nothing like the sound of iron shoes on cobblestones." Turns out one of the reasons Hitler thought the Allied invasion wouldn't succeed was he didn't see how we could possibly bring enough horses...

I have to admit, much as I hate on HD, I'd love to see them go full into this market. There's a lot of smaller manufacturers out there doing great stuff with ebikes, but it'll take the big manufacturers dumping money into the R&D to push it ahead to where it needs to be, and if it takes HD leading the charge, so be it. The tech has come a long way but compared to the Internal Combustion Engine as a source of personal transportation, it's still very young and there's a lot to still be done, and that takes money.

There's actually a row of charging stations behind a motel in Columbus. I don't know if it's just for employees, probably, but I never see a vehicle connected to one. And, I'm sure it's not for travelers since it's a long way from Columbus to any real destination. :rofl: It just happens to be on I10. Maybe folks traveling in their e-cars from Houston to San Antonio stop there to top up? Doubt it.

There's LOTS of gas stations around. I'll stick with gas power. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

I have nothing against electric per se. But to my subjective eye, that is just an ugly bike.

Electrics are for those with not far to go. I have to ride 20 miles one way just to get to the nearest town. We drive 40 miles to church. Nope, these are city vehicles for people riding maybe 5 miles to work. I might have liked the idea when I was riding 6 miles to work every day, but I'd still needed a gas engined motorcycle to go out of town. So, it's cheaper to burn gas going to work than to own an electric just to ride to work.

I'm surprised a hybrid M/C is not on scene, electric and fossil fuel. I could maybe go for that. Weight, I'm sure would be an issue.

Back