• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

El Bokeh Wall....

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
So Scott (M38A1) is over at my place tonight and we got to bs'ing about different lighting and focus depth of field tricks. So we thought we would give a try at playing with the "Bokeh Wall".

Also having no kids in the house we had to make a toy run to buy props for our experiment tonight. Yep that's right, two grown men Valentines eve Friday make a run to a toy store... not that there is anything wrong with that!!!:giveup:

Here are my results.. Scott will be along shortly with his!

i-2DFJJwx-XL.jpg

i-rRcmdC3-XL.jpg

i-zdwQ7sM-XL.jpg

So we're in line with our 'toys' and Duke says something to the effect of "Happy Valentines Day" to me. The cashier looks at us, looks away, looks at us again (not that there's anything wrong with that...) and we all start laughing when I say "yeah, but what's your wife going to think, Duke"? The cashier being pretty quick said "she doesn't have to know". lol

We got back to Dukes place and began setting up for some test shots. I'm reasonably pleased with what I came away with for my first attempt at this style/technique of shooting. Here's a couple from my set...

i-m64XRC7-XL.jpg

i-HtWnVJd-XL.jpg

Part of me says this one is too busy and she gets 'lost' in there. The other part of me says she blends in well for wearing camo. I'm just on the fence for it, but overall I like how the B&W conversion worked. I think.
i-G6Pg3h2-XL.jpg

So what are you using for the background and how are you getting the different colors for it?

I guess we know what Scott likes for women: fast, armed, and loaded ;-)

These look nice! I'm curious to know the f-stop used and also the distance of the toys to the booked wall. The toys look fully in focus while still blowing out the back. :ponder:

Scott was using his 24-70 @ likely f/16. I was using my 105 at f/16. I honestly couldn't tell you the light power because we just winged and hand held the one with the soft box and moved it in or out as needed for the effect we wanted.

i-cn8ZMgn-XL.jpg

Next attempt will be while at f/2.8 and then stack the resulting images to get bigger bokeh balls.

Foil!?!? I never would have guessed.

I was wondering why there was that separated strip 3/4 of the way down the images. Now it makes sense.

Back