• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electric Okay or Die Hard ICE?

Will you keep your ICE bike once electric takes over?

• Yes

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
Problem solved.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1662511522541.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662511522541.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 73
Volcon Brat, coming soon to Iron Supply Powersports!! Electric Fun!!!
073C6CA8-1644-4169-881E-92D11ADCD3D8.jpeg

Seat looks like a burnt hoagie roll.
I don't understand why most of the lower priced ebikes are so weird and ugly. You get into the higher priced mtb and they look like normal bikes. Can't hardly tell they have motors.

I don't understand why most of the lower priced ebikes are so weird and ugly. You get into the higher priced mtb and they look like normal bikes. Can't hardly tell they have motors.
Cheap = lazy designers and not-so-good packaging engineers.
Also inferior components that are "take what you get" and build a bike around it.

I don't understand why most of the lower priced ebikes are so weird and ugly.

I have a theory on this: I postulate that it's partly a byproduct of everything being designed on computers these days. This practice has produced several problems, two of the biggest being that it more easily allows the divine principle to be ignored in favor of more utilitarian ( i.e, cheaper to produce) design techniques, and it has allowed people who would've otherwise never been able to do drafting or design (due to a lack of basic talent) into the profession.

I have a similar theory regarding mechanical and civil engineering failures and computer-aided design, but I suppose that's for another thread.

:sun:

They are marketed to very different markets.

A "high end mountain bike" is being sold to a serious cyclist or mountain biker, electric or not. The expectation of that market is that it looks, fits, adjusts, and operates like any other high end bicycle. It needs to have replacement parts compatible with the entire range of bicycle components in the segment. Cyclists like this will ride 2,000-10,000 miles a year on a bicycle and need something that can be operated on that kind of schedule and repaired and maintained by the owner. That's a well defined and specific market.

The Volcon-type and others are being sold to people who are looking for a mobility solution, not cyclists. This is the crowd who needs a sub-100-lb moto that they can commute to work or school on and that they can take in the elevator to their apartment or dorm room, and that won't require a license plate or for them to buy insurance. They don't have tools, they don't ever expect to repair or replace any parts on it aside from taking it back to the dealer who they bought it from, etc. They will never ride it more than 1,000 miles a year and don't intend to maintain it at all themselves apart from charging it. These folks are really looking for a 49cc class scooter that can be parked in a bike rack and won't require them to wear a helmet, ride with traffic, or have any kind of driving license or insurance.

A big part of it is the form being driven by the function and intended use. The mobility market e-bikes need to be one-size-fits-all and have minimal parts to maintain. They're not built for efficiency of pedaling or off-road performance because pedaling is not a real part of the intended use. Pedaling is just what you do to get going, just like a 70s gas moped. Pedals are on the vehicle just to classify it as a bicycle in the eyes of the prevailing state laws.

Honda-motos-eletricas.jpg

Based on the previous pic, are we getting an electric X ADV?

Last edited:
Some people dig that retro vibe.

I am test driving a ZERO FX ZF7.2 today. I am not truly dual sporting this. If I get one I plan to use it as a trail bike and occasional commuter or weekend errand runner.
ZERO_FX_ZF7.2.jpg

I am test driving a ZERO FX ZF7.2 today. I am not truly dual sporting this. If I get one I plan to use it as a trail bike and occasional commuter or weekend errand runner.
View attachment 330335
I test rode a Zero probably about 7 years ago. I really wanted one then and it would have been perfect for my commute at the time.

I test rode a Zero probably about 7 years ago. I really wanted one then and it would have been perfect for my commute at the time.
I wonder how they hold up? Seem to have a fair selection. Still, I’m a used bike guy, so out of my range.

I wonder how they hold up? Seem to have a fair selection. Still, I’m a used bike guy, so out of my range.
That's what turned me off to it. 10 grand at that time. I could buy a LOT of gas for my VStrom for 10,000 dollars.

That's what turned me off to it. 10 grand at that time. I could buy a LOT of gas for my VStrom for 10,000 dollars.
Heck, the last pure dirt bike I bought was $9,999. This is admittedly a bit of a frivolous indulgence and novelty ATM.

Last edited:
View attachment 330335
On the Eastside yesterday I bumped into a guy on one of these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220914-134621_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220914-134621_Chrome.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 62
Back