• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Emma Long ride....

Pretty rocky there?
Yeah, those pesky squirrels removed all the pillows that lined the sides of the trails and now it's nothing but unforgiving rocks. :trust:

img-20190117-161901972-jpg.jpg

img-20190502-121538816-hdr-jpg.jpg

img-20190514-131205120-hdr-jpg.jpg

img-20190502-130240751-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
What is the name of the 5 stepped ledge in the first image and what line are y'all taking (left or right) to get through w/o issue.

Those ledges are perfectly spaced to clear the first one and get stuffed on the following.

So are there ways to bypass those insane areas?

Or is it just one long, rocky, death trail?
The bypasses are still death trail.

Emma is stone cold. It can be very miserable or a blast, depending on the rider. I wouldn't have fun there on a 450. And I've ridden it on a xr650l.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So are there ways to bypass those insane areas?

Or is it just one long, rocky, death trail?
I took my 9 year old son out there on his mountain bike and I just carried his bike through some of the nasty stuff. If you're on a motorcycle, I would say Emma is not for the timid. I am a novice rider at best and struggle through the loop every time I ride and I've been riding Emma for years. Some days are better than others but enough pucker moments to keep my heart racing. I've flipped the bike over more than once. Have done a superman over the handlebars. Bruised myself up that kept me off the bike for a few weeks. I'm 55 and still love the challenge. I usually ride by myself as I don't want to hold anyone up as I maneuver through the trails. I'll never win any contests for great riding but I'm always around as a bad example of what not to do. :twitch: :deal:

What is the name of the 5 stepped ledge in the first image and what line are y'all taking (left or right) to get through w/o issue.

Those ledges are perfectly spaced to clear the first one and get stuffed on the following.
I think the section looks like this now that the trail has been burned in since they reversed the direction of the loop. Most just go straight up the middle, keep the momentum up and stay on top of the bike. I don't think it has a name but is at the top/north end of the park. There is a bypass to skip it but you lose about a mile of good trail.

img-20200201-174245-jpg.jpg

I believe that image is near the Cheesecake Challenge on the attached map.

The ledges I am looking for a good line on are near Flat Top on the map.

Making good time around the loop and then got brought to a sudden stop there early Sunday AM.

Sneaked out this morning and got a good ride in. Today was one of my better rides than what I've done in the past. Really enjoy our little treasure in the middle of the city.

well said, TJ!
hard to believe that this little treasure only 10-15 minutes from downtown austin, state capitol, UT campus.

time to get back to some serious business....
IMG-20200405-164405.jpg
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Heatwave finally dropping!
Emma training days are done!

IMG-20200911-144441.jpg

Time to LOAD UP

& put all that hard work
IMG-20200912-160107.jpg

to good use

ripping it up!
IMG-20200912-170225.jpg

enjoying nature and all that's out there to see
IMG-20200915-125243.jpg

On this lovely afternoon, we started at the top of here, w/ all the towers...
IMG-20200915-170850.jpg

aka... alamo peak lookout tower...
IMG-20200915-170853.jpg

we dropped down into the high desert plains

IMG-20200915-165257.jpg

cutting through some epic scenery
IMG-20200915-155035.jpg

:dude: w/ just enough trail burnt in .... need i say more????:chug:
IMG-20200915-170146.jpg

and in the blink of an eye ( ok, 3 hrs later)....we made it all the way down to the big city:drums:
IMG-20200915-173834.jpg

...average speed = a whopping 2.62 MPH w/ a 4000ft elevation drop

Screenshot-20200915-165217.png

EPIC DAY indeed.

How did you get to the top? Riding pavement hence the plated bikes. Was hoping this could be done on an unplated off road bike.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

SB--the "top" can be a few different places. The trail through Alamo canyon starts at West Side Rd (90). From the very top (meaning the trails west of Sunspot highway), you can drop down to 90 and the upper trailhead forT104 many different ways on several different trail combos. This is all accessible on non-plated bikes.

Now, when you get to the bottom, at the mouth of Alamo canyon in Alamogordo (see Dao's pic) it comes in handy to have a plated bike so you can ride through town and back up to CC legally on the highway. Otherwise, you are faced with going back up T104 (the same way you came down) to West Side Rd. I ride with some pretty tough guys and no one I have ever been with have wanted to do that, to put it into perspective. Now, there is a possible way back up to 90 via T103 but I still have to scout that out. It ain't going to be easy.

I have chanced it and ridden, on a full dirt bike with number plates, etc. and ridden all the way through Alamogordo, back up the highway to the gun range where I caught the trail back up though Dry Canyon to 90, which makes a full loop. I did not have any issue and I passed a couple of Alamogordo city police cars and they did not give me a second look.

SB--the "top" can be a few different places. The trail through Alamo canyon starts at West Side Rd (90). From the very top (meaning the trails west of Sunspot highway), you can drop down to 90 and the upper trailhead forT104 many different ways on several different trail combos. This is all accessible on non-plated bikes.

Now, when you get to the bottom, at the mouth of Alamo canyon in Alamogordo (see Dao's pic) it comes in handy to have a plated bike so you can ride through town and back up to CC legally on the highway. Otherwise, you are faced with going back up T104 (the same way you came down) to West Side Rd. I ride with some pretty tough guys and no one I have ever been with have wanted to do that, to put it into perspective. Now, there is a possible way back up to 90 via T103 but I still have to scout that out. It ain't going to be easy.

I have chanced it and ridden, on a full dirt bike with number plates, etc. and ridden all the way through Alamogordo, back up the highway to the gun range where I caught the trail back up though Dry Canyon to 90, which makes a full loop. I did not have any issue and I passed a couple of Alamogordo city police cars and they did not give me a second look.
Nice! I've never been there on an unplated bike but would love to. Posted rides on this forum typically are only dual sport or adventure.

@Dao you're holding back on me. Post or PM me for your next trip. New Husky wants to rip trails.

Reactions: Dao
Nice! I've never been there on an unplated bike but would love to. Posted rides on this forum typically are only dual sport or adventure.

@Dao you're holding back on me. Post or PM me for your next trip. New Husky wants to rip trails.

Careful what you ask for. Dao=adventure.

My next ride is this weekend doing the ARK 500 w/ a couple my close austin homies. We paid for this event last yr, then covid postponed it, i forgot about it, now it's back up.
So we're heading out there on thurs, rain or shine.

Dave, vinny, et al....
in mid oct, i'm riding hard single tracks up in OK. oct 16-18.
we'll camp & ride every day starting and ending at the talimena state park.
A level riders leave at 8am, they'll do 75-90 mile loop
B-A level at 9 am, 50-70 mile loop
B level at 10 am, 40-50 mile loop

Y'all aRE welcome to come ride w/ us.

Careful SB, if challenged I think Dao could have you selling your bike once back home. I know you are big, strong and talented but as Vinny intimated,,,be careful what you ask for! ;-)

...Dave, vinny, et al....

...Y'all aRE welcome to come ride w/ us.

In with bells on !! Excellent timing. Was already thinking about being in that area next month. I like staying at nearby Billy Creek which connects to the Talimena SP via the CNT. Will probably arrive 2-3 days earlier. PM incoming.

Careful SB, if challenged I think Dao could have you selling your bike once back home. I know you are big, strong and talented but as Vinny intimated,,,be careful what you ask for! ;-)
New bike needs some battle scars. Between woodsguy and myself for ~60 hours only dropped once. And that was when it fell off my trailer. LOL

My next ride is this weekend doing the ARK 500 w/ a couple my close austin homies. We paid for this event last yr, then covid postponed it, i forgot about it, now it's back up.
So we're heading out there on thurs, rain or shine.

Dave, vinny, et al....
A level riders leave at 8am, they'll do 75-90 mile loop
B-A level at 9 am, 50-70 mile loop
B level at 10 am, 40-50 mile loop

Y'all aRE welcome to come ride w/ us.

Just spent 8 days in AR, came back saturday. Visited Wilderness Riders place (awesome) and a few other camping spots. Im planning on going to AR more and CO less next year. Closer and more remote (closer is really the reason, love CO more than anything)

Talimena ride sounds good. I put it on my calendar. What ride is it ? Need to sign up ? I hope to make it but have to check with the boss for plans that might not have made it into my "fun" calendar.

Riding Emma Wed at 8 am with Mark if anyone wants to join.

Exactly my thought!

Just spent 8 days in AR, came back saturday. Visited Wilderness Riders place (awesome) and a few other camping spots. Im planning on going to AR more and CO less next year. Closer and more remote (closer is really the reason, love CO more than anything)

Talimena ride sounds good. I put it on my calendar. What ride is it ? Need to sign up ? I hope to make it but have to check with the boss for plans that might not have made it into my "fun" calendar.
I'm w/ you on that closer to home strategy. It's painful having to burn 4 days to get to CO & back.
and yea, AR is on my target as well now. The trails I'm interested in exploring is from eureka springs up to the branson, mo corridor. that area's got alot of tight trees & kazillion water crossings.

this tali ride's open to anyone, no sign in , no nothing. just come up there, find a group to ride w/ and spend all day riding atv & single tracks. this oct ride's the pre-fall tali ride. the official fall tali ride is usually in Nov, and this yr, w/ many regulars hunkering down, i'm seeing some planning this official ride to start on black friday, after thanksgiving.

hope u can swing on by. you'll get your money's worth, that's for sure. Dave's all in. can't wait to ride w/ him.
who else on can make it?

How did you get to the top? Riding pavement hence the plated bikes. Was hoping this could be done on an unplated off road bike.

From Alamogordo, we took the pavement all the way back to "the top". So, yea, plated dirtbikes got us back to "the top" before sun went down.

"The top" is where we camped all week long.
IMG-20200912-074154.jpg

many of our hot meals were cooked & served out of RVs... what a rough life we had to endure
IMG-20200912-074225.jpg

.Just the camping alone was quite festive
IMG-20200912-074354.jpg

Back