• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ennis Bluebonnets

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
Found some bluebonnets yesterday. I originally went looking for crimson clover, which I was told was growing abundantly around Kaufman. So I rode out I-20 through Dallas and south to Kaufman, and past, to Kemp. Sadly, there was no crimson clover to be seen. South of Kemp, I cut back west, picked up Hwy 85 (a very nice motorcycle road, it turns out), and made my way back to Ennis to follow the Bluebonnet Trail.

While the bluebonnets aren't as amazing as they were last spring, they were still pretty respectable. Here are some pictures from around Palmer, just north of Ennis.

Enjoy.

DSC_0515_zpsa39b612b.jpg

DSC_0518_zps9a12dbd6.jpg

DSC_0519_zpsa5021d8d.jpg

DSC_0520_zps36372628.jpg

DSC_0522_zpse4c5076e.jpg

DSC_0523_zpsa052b894.jpg

DSC_0525_zpsff0c93c3.jpg

DSC_0528_zps3cf798ea.jpg

Had to sneak in a picture of the V-Strom to prove I was really there.
DSC_0529_zps32d8b12f.jpg

DSC_0531_zpsd8799076.jpg

DSC_0534_zps5d9b24dd.jpg

DSC_0536_zpsb7861be4.jpg

DSC_0537_zps3bbc2f26.jpg

DSC_0538_zps66975b2b.jpg

DSC_0539_zpsc004a151.jpg

DSC_0540_zps414a68cd.jpg

DSC_0541_zps73735fbe.jpg

Timothy,

Those are excellent pictures.

I have a tough time finding large wildflower clusters near Fredericksburg. Even Willow City Loop is a bit sparse.

RB

Lynyrd was camped down at Garner last weekend. He told me the pickings were pretty slim.

85 is a nice ride from Seven Points to Ennis and is usually packed with the purdy blue flowers. The crimson clover usually comes later. It should be getting close and if you would have made it farther east you'd have found it. Athens and east is a stronger hold for the clover. Louisiana has a bundle of it right now. Probably toward the first week of May it will be going strong. The past few years have been tough on flowers in east Texas between the freeze a few years ago that got the bonnets and the drought conditions.
Glad you had a nice ride.
Cheers

Excellent pictures! The Ennis area gets some great displays of blue bonnets even in so so years. 16 from Fredericksburg to Llano to Cherokee to Colorado Bend had a nice mix of flowers when I went through on Wednsday.

Hopefully I'll make it back to the hill country next spring. Just wasn't in the cards this year.

One of the few nice things about where I live. Run down Malloy Bridge rd and you end up on 45, about a mile north of 660 which runs out there. Knowing we'd be away at the GP this past weekend I rushed the kiddo down there during the week after work for the state law required annual photo of your kid sitting in the Blue Bonnets. :D

I agree, they aren't quite as good as last year. A few good spots but not that many and not as dense.

Lynyrd was camped down at Garner last weekend. He told me the pickings were pretty slim.

It does not compare to your pictures, but the ride on Highway 16 up to Llano from F-Burg was fairly scenic this weekend. The view consisted mainly of daisies and Indian Paintbrush. The Blue Bonnets were not present except on an occasional patch.

RB

Back