• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Entrance to Yellowstone NP, West Yellowstone, Montana entrance.

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
Noon today
west_gate.jpg

On one hand, it's nice to see that the park is having visitors supporting the place.

been there a couple times in june, once on the goldwing. we had gear on but still got bit-up at the south entrance by mosquitos while waiting in the queue, waiting to get in.

Only time I went I sailed right on in , I’m sure I stopped and showed my pass but I don’t remember , it was about daylight I was leaving out around mid day and the traffic jams on the road in were miles long because a mangy *** old moose was down in a creek and all the idiots just abandoned their cars in the middle of the road to look at the poor moose . I saw a deer in the middle of the road out in bfe New Mexico looked like death warmed over . I slowed way down and when I got close I could see the look in her eyes , “ please kill me and put me out of my misery “ I almost did , but then snapped , my luck there would have been a game warden hiding in the bushes someplace just waiting . I still need to ride the east side , maybe this summer , maybe not .

Not surprising. It's Yellowstone...most visited NP.
It's high season. It's outdoors so less concerns of covid.

There used to be a company that had overnight snowmobile tours to the lodge in winter months. I went in mid October right before it closed, was not crowded but 20 years ago.

It's high season. It's outdoors so less concerns of covid.
That's debatable. The number of people on crowded busses pouring out at each attraction with 5 cameras hanging from their necks.

That's debatable. The number of people on crowded busses pouring out at each attraction with 5 cameras hanging from their necks.

i would guess that is not the case in times like these. sure as heck would be something any sane person would entertain.

Yes, I know the West Entrance is a distance from the North Entrance, but I am wondering how much of this line today resulted from the fire in Gardiner late yesterday. Plus the Tower-Roosevelt to Canyon Village road is closed this year for rebuilding. I wonder how many folks are also by-passing the NE entrance.

Right now the cameras look nice and clear.

Hopefully in September when we are there things are less crazy.

Hopefully in September when we are there things are less crazy.
When are you going to be there? There is a group of us that will be there the third week of September. As long as you are going the week after Labor Day week or later, the crowds drop quite a bit. If you are feeling lucky and go the very last week of September or even the first week or two of October, then you will have the place to yourself but you might see more white than you care to. :)

I was there a few weeks ago. Cruised right through the, I guess it's the NorthEast gate? Off Beartooth Highway. My buddy had a pass, which covers four wheels so both our bikes got in. There was a lot of people there and a lot of traffic, for me. We talked to a couple that ran the burger place we had lunch at just outside the gate and they said park attendance was at about 30% and their restaurant was only doing about 20% of normal business. They had to let their two employees go and just run the place with the two of them. I figure if that's 30% then I never ever ever want to go back on a bike when things are back to normal. Also, for the sake of the local businesses, I hope it gets back to normal.

DSC00793-L.jpg

I was there a few weeks ago. Cruised right through the, I guess it's the NorthEast gate? Off Beartooth Highway. My buddy had a pass, which covers four wheels so both our bikes got in. There was a lot of people there and a lot of traffic, for me. We talked to a couple that ran the burger place we had lunch at just outside the gate and they said park attendance was at about 30% and their restaurant was only doing about 20% of normal business. They had to let their two employees go and just run the place with the two of them. I figure if that's 30% then I never ever ever want to go back on a bike when things are back to normal. Also, for the sake of the local businesses, I hope it gets back to normal.

View attachment 268505
Mind sharing your route for this trip?

Mind sharing your route for this trip?

I took off after work and stayed in a cheap hotel in Amarillo.

The next day I ran to Colorado and then took the Highway of Legends, CO12 for a loop, then back to Walsenburg and up CO69 to CO9 to 285 and stayed the night at Burning Bear Campground on the beautiful Guanella Pass.

The next morning I ran north up 40 through Granby then up 125 all the way up to Red Lodge Montana. Stayed the weekend riding Beartooth Highway, Yellowstone and Chief Joseph Highway a few times.

Sunday morning I hit "Go Home" on the GPS and took the fastest most boringest way home.

My Spotwalla...Bubbler GPS stopped updating while I was up there and I had to reboot my phone on the way home to get it working again, hence the line.

And, I must have missed the ride report.:giveup:
I made the mistake of taking my GoPro intending to do a nice video report. Digging through and editing videos is painful and time consuming. It's probably coming, later rather than sooner.

Article showing spikes in new COVID cases at National Parks as tourists arrive and infect the local park staff members.

RB

We used the east entrance, coming in from Cody at this same time of the year and while the part was busy and crowded, the east entrance was a breeze to get through each day.

I'm in on a trip right now. I've been to ten national parks, including Yellowstone and spent several days in each. I haven't seen a tour bus yet. Surprised me.

I'll never forget leaving Mt. Rushmore a little after noon, and thinking we could make it to a NO REFUND hunting lodge near the North gate at a "reasonable hour". Got slowed by rain, then a herd of moose that took 10 minutes to pass, then road construction, then finally just a few miles from the gate a sign that read "North Gate Road closed until 7AM" (this was at midnight). Since the rental car was 4WD, I went around the barricade and made a run for it; only got a mile or two and figured we'd end up stuck in the mud or worse (doing my best rallye car impersonation). Got to the West Gate around 2AM - no hotel rooms. Tried to sleep in the car - NO WAY. Finally talked a hotel into letting us rent a 2BR condo for the night $$$$... The park was amazing the next day, small crowds, no long lines anywhere, PERFERCT TIMING. The next day we rented a big Harley and a Slingshot to ride over Teton Pass from Jackson Hole - FANTASTIC weather, and decent rental prices.

Back