• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Eola School Restaurant, Eola TX

Sully

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Sullivan
What: I came across this place while out on a ride to the San Angelo area going after pictures of FM road signs. In a nutshell, the owner, Mark, purchased the Eola school a few years ago, after it had sat unused since the early 1980s. He operates a small restaurant and brewery (Bright Brewing) on site. In addition, he hosts events such as chili cookoffs and motorcycle rallies on the school grounds (a San Angelo club is holding a rally there August 14-16, club's site here). There is also plenty of room on the grounds for camping.

Here's a link to the website. Unfortunately, I can't remember the hours of operation, but you can email Mark at info@eolaschool.com

Here's a shot of the front entrance (that's Mark, bringing out the gallon jug of beer I bought to bring home with me :mrgreen:)

543969198_w5qpZ-L.jpg

Another shot, showing the "old" and "new" schools (both of them are old, actually). The restaurant is in the white building. Note the left side pannier/cooler, eagerly awaiting the beer delivery.

543968943_LUfcz-L.jpg

A couple shots of the "dining room" classroom:

543967577_KPngh-L.jpg

543967868_bDzHo-L.jpg

As always, I ordered a jalepeno cheeseburger, the yardstick by which I evaluate roadside eateries. It was excellent, with fresh jalepenos!

543968157_Ki5oz-L.jpg

Mark has done alot of research on the school's history, and even got it listed in the National Registry of Historic Places

543969750_WQcbA-L.jpg

Here's the school auditorium. Like the rest of the school, Mark has been working bit by bit to restore it after being abandoned. During his interviews with locals about the school history, he learned that Ernest Tubb once performed here!

543969451_nkQQa-L.jpg

Where: 12119 FM 381, Eola, TX (Eola is a very small town, basically just the intersection of FM 765 and FM 381; the school is a bit north of this intersection, on FM 381)

Directions:
From San Angelo: Take Loop 306 to FM 765 East, and then follow FM 765 East until it intersects with FM 381 in Eola
From Ballinger: Take US 67 South out of Ballinger until it intersects with FM 381, and then take FM 381 South through Lowake to Eola.
From the South or East I didnt approach from these directions, so I can't say with certainty, but here's a link to a map

Summary: Eola School Restaurant may be little out of the way, but if you're in the area, and if (like me) you're a history buff, you owe it to yourself to check this place out.

Last edited:
I'll have to check it out the next time I'm out that way. Thanks for the information.

How could I forget! When I was there, he had two varieties on tap. I'm more of a beer glutton than beer gourmet, but as I recall he said one was a hoppier (6 kinds of hops, I think) beer, and the other was an Amercan pilsner-style beer. I bought a gallon of the latter. By the time I got it home, it had lost a little fizz, but I still enjoyed it greatly. It was kind of like Miller Lite, but a little different. I'm planning to go back sometime, since I believe he told another customer that he's working on a stout, to be ready sometime this summer.

Thanks for posting about this place. I saw the bit on Texas Country Reporter but could not remember the name of the town. We will definitely be planning a motorcycle trip that way soon. Great report and loved the pics!!!

I once scored two points for the opposing team in the Eola gym (circa 1959). More recently, to ride FM 765 east to west is healthier (should you accidentally exceed the speed limit), than to ride US87 parallel to & south of Eola. You are much less likely to be exposed to radar emanations from two-toned Crown Vics. Lots of 4 way stop signs tho.

That could be worth a weekend trip down to check it out. :rider: :eat: :rider:

I looked at the clubs website and after seeing the pictures of the weenie eating contest, I think I can skip the rally without losing any sleep...

I might lose sleep if I can't those images out of my brain. :eek2:

According to the menu (chalkboard) my choices are Coors, Keystone, or Bright Beer, the owner's own microbrew that is brewed and bottled on the spot.

At least I don't have to waste a bunch of time trying to decide.

So how was the local stuff Sully?

I stopped in for a quick Pilsner pint last Friday afternoon- too late to eat a meal, but just right to get the happy hour price of $2. Beer was good but I chose not to buy the $22 gallon to go. It's considered to be a restaurant, not a bar from the firearms signs that are posted.

I stopped in for a quick Pilsner pint last Friday afternoon- too late to eat a meal, but just right to get the happy hour price of $2. Beer was good but I chose not to buy the $22 gallon to go. It's considered to be a restaurant, not a bar from the firearms signs that are posted.

That's cool! Did you get a chance to look around? I'm wondering if he's made more progress on his restoration.

Ha! He was on the phone when I entered & still on the phone when I left- no conversation. He pointed to the blackboard menu & I walked to the bboard & pointed to the pint ad.

Back