• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Escape to Witch... er... The Smoky Mountains! May 19-26, 2012

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab If you spend a little time with Google, or some other wonderful search engine, you can learn a lot about the region of our country referred to as The Smoky Mountains. No, they don't have the literally breath taking vistas of the Rockies. Yes, there is a ton of information about the geological history and cultural history of the area that is actually quite interesting. Did you know the region averages 50-80 inches of rain per year? That is well into the low end of the spectrum for areas classified as tropical rain forests. You can also find a ton of fascinating information about all kinds of plants, animals, and slimy creatures that slither and wiggle in the region. All that stuff is really interesting and I could go on and on about it... But I won't.

:tab Lots of other places on the planet have all kinds of really interesting things about them too. What really sets The Smoky Mountain region apart from so many others is the roads... Yes, you read that right, the roads. No, they are not paved with gold. That would be a disaster because traction would be horrid! Those that are paved are done with a wonderful aggregate that yields prodigious traction, which is a good thing considering the intense twistiness of the roads in the region. Those that are not paved wind through landscapes that bring to mind fairy tales, monsters, and things rarely seen. Yes, I have some great pictures that I will be sharing with you. No, they won't even come close to conveying the blissful reality they attempt to capture. Yes, you really will have to make the pilgrimage to the holy land of riding some day to experience it for yourself!

:tab Back in the early part of the 2000's, I managed to get out to the Smoky Mountains almost five years in a row. The last trip was in 2005 as Hurricane Rita came ripping through East Texas, forcing our group to suffer through an extra day of riding while waiting for the storm to pass. Yes, it was excruciating, but we do what we have to do ;-) I've done trips to other places since then, but once you've been to riding heaven, all those other earthly riding areas just seem to pale in comparison and your thoughts will often turn heavenward.

:tab For reasons unknown, perhaps having something to do with lunar eclipses or other planetary phenomena, circumstances in my life worked out such that I got the last week of May off to do a motorcycle trip. There was no real debating of the issue. I've had this horridly intense desire to get back out to the Smoky Mountains for some time now and it had been building to a feverish pitch! The last trip was a "tour" that I led consisting mostly of TWT members and included six wonderful days of riding. So naturally I thought I might do something similar this time, but as a rally instead of as a tour (tours usually having a limit on attendance). I posted up the info with some teaser pics here on TWT, but the response was minimal. As usual, it seemed people were so wrapped up in their daily earthly business they had no time for thoughts of heaven :shrug:

:tab But there were a few people with their minds on heaven. John "Johh Dirt", Roger "Rsquared", and Albie "Hood Ornament" were immediately on board for the trip. There were a few maybes. I sent out a few feelers to folks with whom I've done previous trips. The response was lacking... So it was decided to forgo the open invitation rally and just do a private trip with a small group. Since the group was small, John suggested that we might stay at his Father's place, in Balsam Grove, a small "town" on NC 215 just a few miles South of the Blue Ridge Parkway, right smack in the middle of a whole mess of incredible riding! This would save us the cost of seven nights in a hotel and make for a more intimate setting. So the plan was set in motion and all that was left to do was order bike stuff, prep the bikes, and wait...

:tab Albie and Todd "Tapntxs", Todd being a last day addition to the group, had to make a last minute cancellation. They were going to ride out together and meet us there, so their absence at the last moment did not mess up travel plans. When the electrons all settled, there were four of us: John, Roger, Steve "Desmo" and myself. The four of us would meet at my home and we'd trailer out together.

:tab The great day finally arrives! John, Steve and Roger all meet at my home on Friday around 3:00pm. My bikes are already on the trailer. Yes, I said bikes :mrgreen: Early on it was decided that we would be doing a mix of street and dirt riding. For me, this meant taking my 05 R1200 GS and my 2010 KTM 530 EXC. For Roger, it meant taking his 2012 KTM 990 Adventure and his KTM 450 EXC. For John, it mean taking his DRZ 400, thinking he was going to take his Versys 650, but in reality buying a nicely outfitted KLR 650 just a few days prior to our departure. For Steve, being the last guy to get on board with going, it meant just taking his KTM 690 Enduro. If you were counting, that is seven bikes on one trailer. Back in April, Steve and Roger came up to my place so we could make sure that seven bikes would indeed fit on the trailer and that there would be places for all the tie downs needed to keep them from banging into each other on the long drive.

:tab It works like this. My GS goes in the front middle facing forward. The KTM 530 and 450 go on either side facing backward so their bars don't hit the GS bars. Then the 990 goes behind the GS, also facing forward. The KTM 690 and KLR 650 go on either side and face backward. The DRZ goes sideways on the back. The loading goes smoothly and by 5:00pm, we are ready to roll.

IMG_7294.jpg

IMG_7295.jpg

Steve, Roger, John and Daniel (who can't go with us but REALLY wants to!)
IMG_7296.jpg

John's new KLR and Roger's 450 EXC
IMG_7297.jpg

The whole rig loaded and ready to roll. That is my Dad's Dodge MEGA Cab diesel truck. I am fortunate that he lets me borrow it for trips like this because it is REALLY comfy and nice!
IMG_7298.jpg

Sarah, always as excited about the trips as I am
IMG_7299.jpg

The whole crew, Daniel (5-1/2), Rachel (3-1/2) and Sarah (7-1/2), and yes, that 1/2 matters to them!! :lol2:
IMG_7300.jpg

:tab And so... with hugs and kisses for all... my kids and wife, not the guys... the guys and I hit the road, right on time! The first miles of a trip are always filled with anticipation, excitement, and energy. This is not my first trip with Steve or Roger, but it is the first trip with John. So we have a new guy to get to know and LOTS of time to do it... The drive is expected to take about 17-18 hours if we haul straight through with fuel stops only. This should put us in Balsam Grove early afternoon and give us an evening to leisurely unpack and settle in before we get down to the serious business of riding in paradise.

:tab We run up through East Texas toward Shreveport, Louisiana. Here we pick up I-20 for the long drone to Atlanta. Somewhere around 3:00am we stop in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. This place is HAPPENING! The Waffle House is jumping. The Gas station is incredibly busy. All manner of vehicles are cruising around. What the...!? I stroll over and speak with a few of the local ladies, obviously primped up for a night out, and ask what all the hubbub is about? "It's because of the school." "Oh... What school?" I ask innocently. The blank stares inform me that I am obviously from another planet... "The CRIMSON TIDE!!" they inform me in a chorus of amazed and slightly indignant voices. "Oh... right... yeah... I knew that..." :doh: Well, I did know it was in Alabama ;-) Anyway, they ask where we are heading and ask about the bikes, then wish us well and we get back on the road. Roger takes over the driving duties because this is about my normal bed time and only an hour before his normal wake up time :sleep:

:tab We hit a bit of construction here and there on the interstate, but overall we are making excellent time. The sun starts peeking over the horizon after we pass through Birmingham and soon we are driving through Atlanta. We pick up I-85 and run Northeast just across the state line into South Carolina where we turn North on SC 11. Eventually this hits SC 281, also known as Whitewater Falls Rd. As we head North the rolling plains give way to foothills and the road soon begins to twist and wind, climbing into the beginnings of the Smoky Mountains. The going slows. Anticipation and excitement displaces stiffness and grogginess. The closer we get, the slower it gets until we are doing well to maintain a 45mph average. We finally reach US 64 and the turn for NC 215 North. We've already been passed by a few groups of motorcycles enjoying the twisty morning.

:tab NC 215 is a real challenge with the truck and trailer. It is NARROW. The lanes are barely eight feet across and there is NO shoulder. It is only about 9 miles up NC 215 to get to John's Dad's place, but the pace is now down to about 25-30 mph at the most. The curves are very tight and the rock wall of the mountain very close. The trailer reaches from center stripe to side stripe. About midway up, a Goldwing comes flying around the corner, his head well into our lane. He lifts and misses, as does the next one. I am slowing as the third one comes around and is in our lane :eek2: All four of us issue some form of excited utterance at the thought of an imminent impact. I've no where to go and cannot swerve. Mentally, I am already waiting for that sickening crunch sound that must be forthcoming... Miraculously, he lifts the bike and it misses the corner of the truck and then lifts his head to jusssttt miss the protruding driver's side mirror of the truck. :shock: About the time we reach our destination, my adrenalin finally comes back down... :giveup:

:tab We turn into a NARROW gravel driveway lined with BIG bushes. The truck barely fits through and we have to fold in the big mirrors. John's Dad, Paul, is waiting to greet us. It's tight quarters for the long truck and trailer so there is some discussion of where to park and unload. I am leery of getting much off the gravel for fear of sinking into soft ground and getting stuck. However, we manage to unload then stick the trailer out of the way.

IMG_7301.jpg

Here's a look from the side porch back to the beginning of the driveway
IMG_7302-pano.jpg

Here's the lean to garage which actually holds all seven bikes nicely.
IMG_7305.jpg

Around the front of the house there is a beautiful lawn and a bridge over a nice stream to the back of the property
IMG_7306.jpg

Looking back toward the front of the house, the bridge is to the left and driveway to the right
IMG_7307.jpg

The bridge
IMG_7309.jpg

Clear running water... a rarity here in East Texas where all water is brown... on a good day...
IMG_7310.jpg

The stream comes in through the middle of the back of the property and then snakes around the outside of the front of the property. There are trout in it.
IMG_7311.jpg

I spot some small fish up under here and under the roots in the background
IMG_7312.jpg

View from the front porch, drive to the left, bridge to my right, stream runs all the way around the distant edge of the lawn flowing right to left.
IMG_7314.jpg

Steve's lodging for the week, his own cabin!! Sometimes it pays to be the tall guy. The cabin has the only queen bed ;-)
IMG_7315.jpg

We will be spending a good bit of time out here after the rides enjoying a cool brew
IMG_7316.jpg

:tab After getting everything unloaded there is some discussion about going for a ride. It is about noon. I decline. After being up for close to 24 hours, my internal equilibrium is whacked. The last thing I want to do is engage in an activity that require fine motor skills and balance. Roger, John and Steve decide to head out for a short exploration trip to nearby Pilot Mountain. There are endless miles of trails out here, but most are NOT for motorized use. In fact, the only off road riding is in private parks or a few OHV areas. The good thing is that there are still some "roads" that are not much more than a two track trail, and this is one of them according to John. So they gear up and head out, while I contemplate a nap.

Roger and John ready for action... and capturing it on video ;-)
IMG_7317.jpg

:tab The guys zoom off up the hill and out of sight. I start settling in and visiting with Paul. It is not long though before we hear the sound of approaching bikes, far sooner than we had expected. Sure enough, the guys are back. It would seem that John's DRZ is having unknown electrical issues.

The bike has been subjected to a bit of "creative" wiring :-P The zip ties are the icing on the cake for me :lol2:
IMG_7318.jpg

John's Dad was a technician for Land Rover for years and pitches in to help
IMG_7319.jpg

John endures a little good natured ribbing
IMG_7320.jpg

The problem is eventually traced to a bad connection and is soon rectified :-P
IMG_7321.jpg

:tab Electrical problems solved, the guys head out again. I hang out with Paul for a bit and then we get in his truck so he can give me the tour of town, which includes many of his favorite fishing spots. All are peaceful and I can see why he would enjoy fishing so much! The stream running through his yard is Shoal Creek. Not far away it dumps into the North Fork of the French Broad River, a very scenic spot!

Shoal Creek ends as a waterfall where it meets the main river
IMG_7322.jpg

These two falls are actually the main river
IMG_7323.jpg

Here's the whole spot, really a nice place to just sit and listen to the water
IMG_7323-pano.jpg

:tab The structure on the right is some kind of water powered mill, or at least it was at one time. A pipe from above the Shoal Creek falls ran water to a turbine box. That had a big pulley on it and there used to be a big belt running up through the floor into the building. The upper level looks like it has an electrical generator in it that was originally powered by the water turbine. It's all broken down, rusted, and neglected now.

Across from the main falls, you really have to LIKE the sound of running water to live there!
IMG_7327.jpg

:tab The guys eventually return from their short ride. I'll leave it to one of them to tell you about it. With dinner on the mind, we decide to head into the nearest "major" town, Brevard. This is actually a very nice town and a decent size. There are MANY beautiful homes here. I can easily see myself living here... if I could find a job, which seems to be a recurring issue in many places with great riding where I'd be happy living... :ponder:

The MEGA Chinese Buffet place where we have dinner... and a pretty good one at that.
IMG_7328.jpg

:tab After dinner we head to the local grocery store to stock up on snacks for the rides and stuff to make dinner for the rest of the week, with the exception of Tuesday. John also has an Aunt that lives here in Brevard and she has invited us all over for a home cooked dinner. He assures us it will be worth the trip. :eat: Loaded down, we head back to the house. I spend the rest of the evening going over the routes and deciding where we'll be riding tomorrow. Then it is finally off to the land of Nod where I dream of things to come...

Last edited:
Re: Escape to Witch... er... The Smoky Mountains!

Delete the pictures of my "blitz box" before everyone sees it!!;-)

Great start Scott.

Delete the pictures of my "blitz box" before everyone sees it!!;-)

Great start Scott.

I don't know John... The Blitz Box seemed like the popular destination point for everbody's jackets and miscellaneous gear!

A random mix from my helmet cam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice highlight vid Roger :clap:

Good looking riding!! :clap:

Roger is smooth and quick. It probably physically pains him to ride behind me. I am NOT smooth or fast :giveup:

Roger is smooth and quick. It probably physically pains him to ride behind me. I am NOT smooth or fast :giveup:

Hey, at least he's not looking at the rear end of an old, tired, green KLR with a Ron Paul sticker on it though!

Keep posting please :clap:

Well, I'm baited and hooked!

That's funny. That sounds like my story on the big bikes, while trying to keep your GS in sight. I can usually keep you insight for one, maybe two corners, then miles later I find you, gear off, either in the middle of a photo-shoot, or finishing up a snack, and probably wondering if I got lost. (again)

OK, it looks like I'm going to spend some time on this thread. :clap: Looks like great riding. :popcorn: Sam

Sunday, May 20th:

:tab Morning comes soon and I wake in eager anticipation of a great day of riding. I find the others going about getting breakfast and getting ready to ride. I don't do breakfast (in the mornings), but I do do Pop Tarts, especially the apple cinnamon ones :trust: Now I know there are riders that like to have 100 miles behind them before the sun comes up... I am not one of those freaks of nature. This is supposed to be vacation. The riding starts no earlier than 9:00am. Besides, in this area, there is often heavy fog laying in the low valleys and trying to ride much earlier than that means riding in heavy fog, not a favorite past time of mine.

:tab So the routes I have planned are of two types, the "small" bike routes and the "big" bike routes. The idea being that the small bike routes will hopefully include more of the technical unpaved stuff and the big bike routes will be predominantly paved with some less technical unpaved stuff. Of course I am also hoping to cover some new ground, so you just never know... Today is going to be a longish small bike route... maybe 225 miles. The whining starts before we even leave the driveway :lol2:

:tab We pull out around 9:45am and head to the local gas station, cash only. I think there is a post office here as well, but that is about it other than people's homes. Topped off, we head North on NC 215 a short bit. Other than the short straight section in town, NC 215 is pretty much non stop curves from start to finish, but it is not our goal for today. Today we are going to head West along the base of the Blue Ridge mountains. The last time I was out here in 2005, a lot of the roads in the are were unpaved. I had read on AdvRider.com that NC has been paving roads like crazy. Now we find out.

:tab We soon reach the start of Charlie's Creek Rd., also labeled as NC 1756. North Carolina generally uses three digits for state highways and four digits for minor roads. A road may have several local names as well. So when navigating, it helps to have looked at several maps, or have a working GPS... Speaking of working GPSs... My newish Garmin Montana is not making me real happy. When I load the route and it starts to do its calculation thing, it rudely informs me that a route can only have 50 waypoints and proceeds to truncate everything after the 50th waypoint!! :argh: I do manage to get around this by just having the GPS display the route, but the screen does not update as we move, forcing me to keep scrolling the map. My "old" 276C has better functionality than this new modern marvel :doh:

:tab So I was talking about roads. NC 1756 is paved. At first I am a bit disappointed... like for the first curve or two... and then it is GAME ON!! The curves come fast and furious. The pavement is not perfect, but it is good. There are damp spots, but nothing that cannot be dealt with. Many curves are of the kind where I plunge down into the corner, hit the apex at max g, then point and shoot as I climb out to crest a negative g corner. Roller coasters are fun, but they can't touch this! :rider:

:tab About now, you are probably wondering why I have no pictures. Well... What can I say!? The riding is that good and stopping just seems so... well... boring :shrug: However, we eventually reach NC 281, also now paved where it was not before, and head North toward Cullowhee. So here are some pics :-P

Pretty flowers! And you were probably thinking I'd post pics of the curves :lol2:
IMG_7329.jpg

But take a good look at that pavement, it is pretty much what is found everywhere around here, a smooth crushed granite aggregate with crazy traction!
IMG_7330.jpg

I like bugs...
IMG_7331.jpg

IMG_7333.jpg

IMG_7334.jpg

:tab I am starting to worry that finding any unpaved riding may prove difficult :ponder: We reach Cullowhee and turn West on Little Savannah Rd. This is a typical urban road but soon gives way to a great twisting little paved road that climbs up on to a winding ridge, crosses NC 116 and eventually drops us out at the Tuckasegee River on the West side of Sylva. We stop for a break and to shed some layers. Now the teasing has stopped and several of us are asking John if he has room in his Blitz Box to carry our sweat shirts. Being the good natured guy he is, he obliges us ;-)

The river and more flowers
IMG_7335.jpg

:tab The sun us up and it is getting warm down in the lower elevations. We hop on New US 19, head West a short distance and find the start of Dick's Creek Rd. (NC 1388). I learned of this road from a fellow member on AdvRider.com, Whitebread117. He lives in Brevard and rides all over this area. The maps don't all show it going through to Old US 19, but he assures me that it does. It starts out heading North and is a narrow paved road, much like Charlie's Creek Rd., which we ran this morning. But soon...

IMG_7336.jpg

IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7338.jpg

IMG_7339.jpg

:tab Dick's Creek Rd., does not disappoint! It climbs up the side of a ridge, rising from around 2000 ft to 4200 ft in the space of just a few miles. The road ranges from smooth to rough washboard. The trees almost completely cover it, forming a darkened green tunnel and keeping the hot sunlight off us. As we climb I can feel the air getting cooler with the rising elevation. It amazes me how much it cools in just a few thousand feet.

:tab Near the crest of the ridge, the maps no longer show the road. I can see the road we will eventually connect with on the downside of the ridge, but I have to figure out how to get to it. That might not be a problem except that we encounter a few intersections with options... Well... Nothing to do but explore :mrgreen:

This road is not on the map but looks very well maintained :shrug:
IMG_7341.jpg

:tab The road drops into a big cleared corner and there is some logging equipment sitting around, the trees obviously thinned out in the area. You can see the road continuing to the left in the following shot, but looking at the GPS, it is now clear that this is taking us away from where we want to be. The urge to explore is strong, but time is pressing and we still have a LOT of miles left if we are to even come close to completing our route. I make a mental note for future rides...

IMG_7342.jpg

IMG_7343.jpg

:tab We take a break and then double back to the previous intersection. You can just see it going down and to the right behind those two big trees in the center of the following shot. From that point the road climbs coming at me and reaches the high point on the ridge.

IMG_7344.jpg

John Steve and Roger
IMG_7345.jpg

:tab Hmmm, the road in the shot below looks interesting, washed out and rutted, but there is also one directly in front of the bike just out of the shot and it goes down, which means it is probably the one we want. But just to make sure, I run up the fun looking one a ways. Don't want to get the guys lost you know :trust:

IMG_7347.jpg

:tab It IS fun, rutted, steep, and lots of off camber surfaces. However, it doesn't go real far and sure enough, it is not the right one. So I coast back down to the intersection and head down the other road. Fortunately, I don't get real far before I want to take a picture. This is when I realize that I don't have my camera in my pocket and must have dropped it back on the top of the ridge. While the guys wait I make a fun run back to the top and find it on the ground right where I was parked. I guess I did not quite get it slipped into my pocket :doh: I head back down to where the guys are waiting and get my shot.

These little road side water falls are EVERYWHERE!
IMG_7348.jpg

:tab The road on the Northern downside of the ridge is Washington Creek Rd. You might have noticed that most roads have "Creek" in the name. Well, that is because most every road follows a creek as it flows down out of the higher elevations and there are TONS of creeks here! Anyway, as we crest the ridge and start down the North side, we cross over into the Cherokee Indian Reservation. If you want more history on this, do a web search on Trail of Tears. It's definitely not a pretty part of our glorious national history and was a flagrant "look the other way" violation of the principles on which our country was supposedly founded, all men created equal and all that stuff... The reservation was eventually created for those Indians that refused to leave and hid in the mountains in the area. It is their descendants that live here now and they make their living on tourism to the area.

The road down is fun - Roger on his KTM 450 EXC
IMG_7349.jpg

But it soon gives way to pavement
IMG_7350.jpg

:tab No worries though. We head East on Old US 19 a mile or so and find the start of Bia 409, known locally as Jenkin's Creek Rd. Now I am pretty sure that I did this road with Bill "Wasabi" and John "TxRider" back in 2005. I was on my R1150GS, Bill his Vstrom 1K, and John on some kind of grey import KTM 640 Enduro. It started out easy enough...

IMG_7351.jpg

Steve
IMG_7352.jpg

John
IMG_7353.jpg

... but somewhere along the way, we hung a right onto Bia 434 or Upper River Rd., and then we turned South on Hyatt Cover Rd. Both roads were great fun, but they were also a LOT of work on the big GS!! Today we bypass them in search of some roads I've not yet ridden, The Heintooga Loop. But first we have to find it...

:tab Jenkin's Creek Rd., climbs from about 2500 ft to 4500 ft, where it passes under the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just because a road looks like it intersects the BRP on a map, this does not mean you can actually access the BRP from that road! Nor is it always clear which way you need to go to find a road that does give access to the BRP. Anyway, as the climbing starts getting steeper, we get behind a Dad and two sons riding ATVs up the road. We hang behind them for a bit and the Dad finally notices us, pulling over and waving us by. Not much longer after that we reach the BRP and find a tunnel going under it.

Steve wondering where we go next and trusting me to get him there...
IMG_7354.jpg

Must be a popular hangout for the local kids :shrug:
IMG_7355.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7357.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

:tab On the far side of the tunnel, we come to a choice, left or right...? Right is the way I want to go, but the map is unclear if either way leads to access to the BRP, which is also where I want to go, because I think that is the way we get to the start of the Heintooga loop. So right we go... and go... on Bia 407, which looks like it has a short spur connecting to the BRP on my GPS map, but which doesn't exist on the ground :doh: And so we go...

:tab We're riding the same ridge that the BRP runs along, but we are up above it, able to look down through the woods to where we want to be. The mountainside is STEEP and there is no way I am going to attempt the short run down to the BRP. So we simply run along above it for a while and enjoy the views. We soon reach the Mile High Campground, which sits right smack on the top of the ridge at about 5300 ft in elevation. The views both directions are great! This would be a nice place to spend a weekend!

Looking North
IMG_7359.jpg

We came up the road on the right. There are little campsite scattered all about on each side of the road.
IMG_7360.jpg

IMG_7361.jpg

Roger
IMG_7362.jpg

:tab Bia 407 eventually gets us where we want to be, but now John is getting concerned about gas for his DRZ. Not being sure how much further we will be going before we can find fuel, we decide to hop on the BRP and make a run into Maggie Valley for lunch and gas.

Of course we make a few stops along the way into town...
IMG_7364.jpg

Your's truly :mrgreen:
IMG_7365.jpg

And some history...
IMG_7366.jpg

:tab At Old US 19, there is an exit ramp off the BRP and we head into town to fill up the bikes. As we head in, I spy what looks to be a good place to stop for lunch and drop a way point so I can be sure to find it when we come back this way.

Can't recall the name, but the food and view was good. The service was good also.
IMG_7367.jpg

:tab Bikes and bellies full, we head back West to the BRP... and stop at another overlook, of which there are MANY!!

IMG_7368-pano.jpg

The anal retentive nerd in me can't help but wonder how many people go away from here thinking there are 5250 feet in a mile :doh: :lol2:
IMG_7369.jpg

You can see the weather is AWESOME! :sun:
IMG_7372.jpg

:tab We find our way back to Bia 407 and start heading North on what soon becomes Heintooga Round Bottom Road. I've no idea how it got its name. Maybe it was named after some chief's wife? :-P Anyway, it is fantastic.

IMG_7373.jpg

Oh yeah :dude:
IMG_7374.jpg

Some of this...
IMG_7375.jpg

Would it be a bona fide dual sport ride report without one of these shots...?
IMG_7376.jpg

:tab Now I have been on a LOT of dual sport rides, with little groups, big groups, and everything in between. One thing that has always amazed me is how frequently so many guys have to go!! I mean some of them go every time we stop. I drink a lot when riding, but I guess I just sweat it out :shrug: It makes me think of those commercials where all the cars are driving around towing little trailers with port-a-potties on them and they are advertising for some drug to help with having to tinkle all the time. If I was any good at Photo Chopping, I'd be trying to stick one of those trailers behind the bikes of all the guys :lol2: (I'm probably gonna pay for that shot :mrgreen:)

More of the road
IMG_7377.jpg

Wait... which way are we supposed to be going again...? :scratch:
IMG_7378.jpg

Oh, well this looks good...
IMG_7379.jpg

Steve
IMG_7380.jpg

Waiting while John tinkles... I mean tinkers with his GoPro...
IMG_7381.jpg

A nice shot giving an idea of how steep the mountainsides can be. You don't wanna be blowing corners around here... :huh2:
IMG_7382.jpg

Something's still not right...
IMG_7383.jpg

Typical of so many of the dirt roads in the area, hard pack covered with loose gravel.
IMG_7384.jpg

:tab As we head pretty much due North, the road runs along the side of a ridge, staying around 4800-5200 feet much of the time. This makes for very comfy riding conditions! At the Northernmost point where it turns back South, the elevation begins to drop gradually and we start seeing numerous creeks.

IMG_7385.jpg

And cool bridges
IMG_7386.jpg

IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7388.jpg

IMG_7389.jpg

Looking to where the road disappears back into the woods. It gives a good idea of how dark it can get down in the woods even in the middle of the day.
IMG_7391.jpg

Unclear on how to use a bridge, Roger and John contemplate the best path for crossing the creek...
IMG_7392.jpg

"No really, I think we can slip between those two big rocks and..."
IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7394.jpg

And soon the road just follows what I think is Straight Fork Creek... Don't ask me... seems kind of like calling something "Government Intelligence"... :shrug:
IMG_7395.jpg

The sight of my first get off... my boot hooked on the tail bag as I dismounted to the right and the bike came right over with me... Fortunately, I landed on my tush and the bike missed me. Grace in action... :doh:
IMG_7396.jpg

:tab Eventually the road become Bia 405 and cuts back to the SouthEast toward the BRP. It gradually climbs from 2500 feet to about 3100 feet, then gets real steep the last bit, climbing up to about 4300 feet. This makes for some tight and technical switchbacks.

The road to the left is quite a ways down!
IMG_7398.jpg

IMG_7399.jpg

:tab And what do you know...? Bia 405 goes right to the Parkway, and just to one side is the intersection where we sat earlier wondering which way to go :doh: :lo2: No matter, had we gone left earlier and come this way to get on the BRP, we would have missed the cool road leading to the camp ground. So now we head back over the tunnel, cross under the BRP, and take a different road down the South side of the ridge, Bia 413 or Dodgson Ridge Rd. I know, you are shocked that it wasn't Dodgson Creek Rd., so was I! :lol2: Anyway, this is a fun gravel road that wanders down the mountain until it reaches Wright Creek and wait for it... wait... becomes Wright Creek Rd. This part is paved and is great fun as it runs down out of the mountains through some beautiful farming areas.

Saw this and had to pull over... got some funny looks from the neighbors across the road though.
IMG_7401.jpg

IMG_7402.jpg

IMG_7403.jpg

How long has it been since you bought a Coke out of one of these!!?
IMG_7404.jpg

:tab Across the field there is a big hardwood tree of some sort with a really cool tree house in it. Had Daniel been here he would have already been hopping the fence and running across the field to check it out... and I might have been right behind him :-P Before buying a new house last fall, we spent several years shopping. My agent thought I was nuts because one of the first things I would do when checking out a prospective house was see if any of the trees were worthy of a decent tree house :trust: There's nothing quite like a good tree house when you are a kid!

And the road becomes this... horrid and boring for miles... :roll: :suicide:
IMG_7405.jpg

:tab Eventually the horror ends and we drop out on Old US 19 again, Head East a bit to NC 1427 and cut back to the Southwest to reach US 441. We run that South to New US 19, cut back East to a spot where we can cross the Tuckasegee River, hop on NC 1397 and run back Northwest along some railroad tracks until we reach the start of NC 1177 and turn South. These are typical of the little paved secondary roads around here, smooth pavement and they flow with the countryside. Great fun!

:tab NC 1177 runs roughly South along the banks of Connelly Creek. Yeah, I was shocked that it isn't called Connelly Creek Rd. The start is at about 2000 feet and we soon run up to Wesser Gap, which is at about 4300 feet, rising about 1000 feet just in the last 1/4 mile!

The right side of this shot leads to the left side of the next shot
IMG_7406.jpg

IMG_7407.jpg

:tab Now I have been on quite a few trips with Roger and despite his road side urinary adventures, I have never really known him to be an exhibitionist. Well... as they say, you learn something new every day! :eek2:

Something zapped him!
IMG_7408.jpg

The bike waits patiently... biding its time...
IMG_7409.jpg

Steve heads for the bushes... :lol2:
IMG_7410.jpg

:tab It is starting to get later in the day and tushies are getting tender. When I respond to the inquiries about how much further I am frequently met with looks of apprehension... While I don't like to start real early in the day, I do like to SQUEEZE every last bit out of the rest of the day to get in as many miles as I can, hehe. Not being familiar with the roads we're going to be riding certainly helps in that regard. Roger gets his wardrobe issues sorted and we get back to riding, crossing through numerous gaps and over creek after creek. Soon we are running down Huckleberry Creek Rd., hit Leatherman Gap Rd., and finally Ned Hill Rd., (NC 1345). We drop out on Ruby Mine Rd., (NC 1343) and try to pick up Upper Dalton Creek Rd., so we can run Southeast over to US 23 and bypass Franklin. Dalton Creek Rd., is nice, but after several dead ends at REALLY fancy entrance gates it becomes obvious the roads have gone private and behind the gates are very exclusive neighborhoods, something actually quite common in this area. So we back track to Ruby Mine Rd., and head West to Hwy 28, where we drop South in to Franklin and stop for gas.

"How much further...?"

:tab Again with the funny looks... :roll:

:tab This is ADVENTURE riding! No one ever really knows where they are going, how long it will take, and how far it will be! :lol2:

:tab Although... my tush is getting pretty tender... :huh2:

"Let's see... this road, that road, a squiggle here, a wiggle there..."

:tab Dang, we still have some miles to cover! :twitch:

:tab We gas up and head around the new bypass that runs from North Franklin over to US 23. We pick up US 64 South and I try to get back on some back roads just outside of town... and end up in a grocery store parking lot... :brainsnap Uh right... so we back track and try another road... and end up in an exclusive neighborhood with locked gates... so we back track... and head South on US 64 for roads that I know.

:tab In 2005, I discovered Ellijay Road. This is a real gem that runs from US 64 South of Franklin all the way back up through the mountains to Cullowhee on Hwy 107. It ROCKS!! But the plan is to only be on it a little while and then cut over on Little Ellijay road for a more direct route back toward Balsam Grove and softer seats... Ellijay is also shown as NC 1001 on many maps. It is paved and seriously twisty, so game on! :rider:

:tab We only go a few miles though before we come to the turn off at the Ellijay Church. We head East on NC 1528, the start of Little Ellijay road and it soon becomes gravel. I start having fun roosting out of corners and enjoying myself, anything to take my attention off the misery that is my bum! I do slow up a bit and wave at the locals when we pass them by. No point annoying folks needlessly. Then I zoom off into the darkening woods and start climbing the mountain. About the time I am thinking this is a great road, I happen to glance down at the GPS... and we are going away from where we are supposed to be... I thought I knew this road :scratch :doh:

:tab We turn around, something the guys are getting used to now, and head back down the mountain. It would appear that in my exuberance I may have missed a turn off somewhere, but I don't recall seeing anything to indicate that we had changed roads :ponder: Back down at the bottom of the mountain I see where we are supposed to be, but not how to get there. Never one afraid to ask for directions, I pull into the driveway of the locals and they come over to see us.

"We thought you might be lost when we saw you go by..." :lol2:

:tab There are dogs wailing and moaning because they are only feet away and cannot get to me to give me a good sniffing. One, not caged, gets some quality ear scratching. Moments later a FAT cat comes leaping and bounding all the way across the yard to rub his hair all over my black riding suit... What the heck, he gets some good ear scratching too.

"I'm trying to find Little Ellijay Road... Do you know where it is?"

"Oh sure, it's up there!"

:tab And they point up on the side of the mountain behind me. Sure enough, I can see the ledge of a road running along the side of the mountain through the woods.

"Oh... How do I get up there?"

"Go back across that creek there, hang a right, go to the stop sign, hang another right."

"Awesome! Thanks!"

"Have fun!"

:tab And with that I cross the creek, hang a right, get to the stop sign, hang another right, and there nailed to a tree is a sign for Little Ellijay Road. Well no wonder I missed it. It just looks like someone's driveway :doh: So off we go and we are soon racing up the ledge and waving back down at the ladies below :rider:

:tab The road starts out kind of narrow, but soon gets real wide. It is freshly covered with gravel. It looks like paving may not be in the too distant future. the gravel is of the big chunky tire kicking variety and it makes the run up the hill through the curves lots of fun. I round a corner and there are maybe 8-10 FAT turkeys having a social in the middle of the road. As I come around the corner on the gas and spitting gravel, they scatter in every direction. Some run off the road, some straight up the road, and some fly into the woods. The one's running up the road, the not so bright ones, finally catch a clue and fly off into the trees. We soon reach the junction of Walnut Creek Rd., (NC 1533) and Pine Creek Rd., (NC 1163) at Walnut Gap and are back on pavement. These roads I know.

[Time to head home... Date night :trust:]

Last edited:

I got stung by a bee on Saturday, it felt like someone was burning me with a cigarette under my rooster guard on my chest. Roger had the same issue Sunday and the best method for finding the problem is getting your clothes off as fast as possible. I guess Steve and Scott aren't as sweet as me and Roger.

Scott you have a 1600cc bladder, mine is 400cc. I just peed a lot to stay "light" and keep up with you guys.

I learned something about Scott that many before me already know, Scott will ride the wheels off his bike to get every mile he can out of a day. My soreness was quelled by the great routes that mutated from their original layout as the day grew. It was NEVER boring.;-)

I am working on my video right now, thanks for the great RR Scott.

Quote Tourmeister: "The Smoky Mountains. No, they don't have the literally breath taking vistas of the Rockies."

I disagree. Just as beautiful, just in a different way. Kind of like comparing the grand canyon to Niagara Falls, each is breath taking, but in a different way.

I have loved North Carolina since being stationed there in 1969 and it looks like you guys had a great trip to one of my earliest riding areas. Good pictures and video. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Tourmeister: "The Smoky Mountains. No, they don't have the literally breath taking vistas of the Rockies."

I disagree. Just as beautiful, just in a different way. Kind of like comparing the grand canyon to Niagara Falls, each is breath taking, but in a different way.

I have loved North Carolina since being stationed there in 1969 and it looks like you guys had a great trip to one of my earliest riding areas. Good pictures and video. Thanks for sharing.

:tab We had a discussion on the very point you mention. I love Colorado (the SW in general), Arkansas and Southern Missouri, and the Northern Alabama, Northern Georgia, Northern SC, Western NC, Tennessee and Virgina mountains. They are indeed all quite different and all wonderful in their own right. But, I never had any trouble breathing in NC because of a lack of oxygen in the air ;-) If anything, it would have been because of the overwhelming moisture in the air! :huh2:

Nice report Scott, you have a gift with words.

Awesome report Scott, loved the video as well. Was it hot enough to swim? I would've been off in that water!

:popcorn: feels like Im there

wait Im stuck in Waco at work :hack:

Tourmeister makes great ride reports :photo:

Still have to finish day one... and then there are still five more days! :eek2:

Spectacular roads for sure. The level of greenery is incredible.
May have to put that area on the bucket list.

About midway up, a Goldwing comes flying around the corner, he head well into our lane. He lifts and misses, as does the next one. I am slowing as the third one comes around and is in our lane :eek2: All four of us issue some form of excited utterance at the thought of an imminent impact. I've no where to go and cannot swerve. Mentally, I am already waiting for that sickening crunch sound that must be forthcoming... Miraculously, he lifts the bike and it misses the corner of the truck and then lifts his head to jusssttt miss the protruding driver's side mirror of the truck. :shock:

Those doggone old farts. Always acting the Hooligan! :trust:

many thanks for the memories!!!

my grandparents took me to THE SMOKEYS back in 1961

1958 travelall( 6cyl, granny 4spd, 4x4 w/ a herter's duck & goose boat on top) pulling a 1957 airstream

made it into the back country, high & low

we spent 2 weeks there & had a wonderful time

keep posting, i'm loving re-living that trip thru your eyes & pics(¿pics?... must have happened)

thanks, again

shiny side up

Texas T, Brian, just sent me this link. My wife, Pam and I returned home about 3 weeks ago from our second trip to the Smokey Mountains. We spent a week last year riding with our Motorcyclist Cafe friends in the North Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee area. loved it. Went again this year and stayed 2 weeks....:trust:

Arbys-2012-Spring-Ride-009-L.jpg

We were left to our own devices for a week after everyone left and .....you guessed it, we bought a house, we were not planning on it or anything like that furtherst thoughts from our mind. The area is beautiful and man oh man, what fantastic roads that you described so well.

Ducktown-Tennessee-Mountain-L.jpg

http://www.motorcyclistcafe.com/forums/showthread.php?12120-A-new-Adventure-for-Pam-and-Dean

We have now put our place up here for sale and are ready for a new adventure.

http://www.netneon.com/listings/z1251490

The roads, hills and rivers remind me a lot of our old family place on the South Fork a mile out of Hunt, Texas

This above Topton in North Carolina.

Arbys-ride-4-2011-002-L.jpg

A perfect country for a GS.

Scott, you paint a beautiful story with pictures and words, thanks.

We were left to our own devices for a week after everyone left and .....you guessed it, we bought a house, we were not planning on it or anything like that furtherst thoughts from our mind. The area is beautiful and man oh man, what fantastic roads that you described so well.

http://www.motorcyclistcafe.com/forums/showthread.php?12120-A-new-Adventure-for-Pam-and-Dean

We have now put our place up here for sale and are ready for a new adventure.

http://www.netneon.com/listings/z1251490

:rofl:

:tab Every time we have been out there, Beth and I both end up looking through real estate listings. Looks like you found a nice one! Congratulations and I hope the other one sells fast!

Back