• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fall Ride Eureka Springs October 19-23

One group meal planned, do you prefer a cookout at the hotel or group dinner at a restaurant?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pacman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATED 10/12/2020

Folks, here all the latest information about this trip.

Lodging:

Bavarian Inn Lodge
325 W Van Buren
Eureka Springs, AR 72632

Last minute cancellations at the hotel happen frequently. If you'd still like to get in on the hotel call Michelle, General Manager, at 479-253-3866 and tell her you are with Two Wheeled Texans. She'll let you know if anything has opened up.

There also still might be someone willing to split a room. Post here in this thread and plead your case.

Meals:

The hotel does not have breakfast. Plan your time accordingly if you want to go out for breakfast before the ride. The rooms do have mini fridges so you can grab a few groceries if you want.

Evening meals will be on your own except Thursday. Small groups generally form up based on desired cuisine. ES has a pretty good selection of restaurants both downtown and out on 23/62. There is no Uber but there is a guy who runs a taxi service in an old Lincoln Town Car limo. You can get his number from the front desk. We've used him a couple of times and he's been very prompt and reliable.

Thursday Night Group Dinner:
On Thursday evening I'd like to get everyone together for a group dinner. All are welcome to attend, whether staying at the hotel or elsewhere!
Eureka Springs Brewery
96 Ridgeview Rd, Eureka Springs, AR 72632
6:30pm
Eureka Springs Brewery is a beer garden with several house-brewed craft beers on tap.
Indoor and outdoor seating is available.
Currently seating groups of 6 or fewer due to plague.
Menu is various pizza choices cooked in outdoor brick oven, or you can bring in takeout from other area restaurants.
Non alcoholic beverages are available.
9 hole disc golf course on site.
Shuttle service. If you would like to imbibe while at dinner Ms Pacman has offered to run shuttle service. We'll have our Expedition there so we can haul 8 at a time. If you're staying elsewhere but would still like to shuttle, please send me the address where you're staying.

Most nights before/after dinner we gather in the parking lot for wobble pops and to solve the world's' problems. I think there might be a few problems to solve this year. All are welcome and encouraged to join in - it's usually very lively. <cough> :lol2: . I will bring a few chairs but if you have room you might want to bring your own.

Riding Groups, Tracks, Routes, etc.

Based on our attendee roster, there should be many riding options available. I'll include mine here and any others that I know of so you don't have to search through the thread to find ride info.

Pacman rides - feel free to join me or strike out on your own.

Tuesday:
Kickstands up @ 8:30.
285 mile loop mostly in Missouri to the north and northeast of Eureka Springs.
Most of these roads are new to me. I think it's mostly paved, but there is definitely some well groomed dirt/gravel roads.
There are several MO double letter roads (famous for being curvy and undulating).
We will spend quite a bit of time riding through the Mark Twain National Forest, so I would expect to see some nice fall colors.
The pace for this ride will be spirited, but not excessive as most roads will be unfamiliar to me.
Expect to get lost and make u-turns. :)
Points of interest - mostly unknown to me since this is new territory:
If there's enough interest and time these sites are near Eureka Springs:
Beaver Bridge - single lane, wooden deck, cable suspension bridge.
Thorncrown Chapel - architecturally interesting church just north of Eureka Springs

Wednesday: Kickstands up @ 8:30
290 mile loop south of Eureka Springs.
This ride will be slower paced and feature some stops for sightseeing/photos/general frivolity.
Points of interest:
Boxley Valley Historic Area
Boxley Elk Herd Herd Viewing - hopefully since it's rutting season they'll be out later in the morning.
Lunch either at The Cliff House Restaurant near Jasper- famous for it's view of "The Grand Canyon of Arkansas", or at Oark General Store. Where we end up depends on how much sightseeing we do.
Fall colors in the Ozark National Forrest
AR123
A short stretch of The Pig Trail (on of the better sections with tighter curves)
War Eagle Mill
War Eagle Bridge

Thursday: Kickstands up @ 7:30
330 mile banzai run out east to ride Push Mountain Road and MO125.
This will be a spirited ride to catch some of my favorite asphalt out towards Mountain Home. These roads alone are worth the effort to get out there, imo.
This is a pretty ambitious trip. If need be we can cut out some sections to shorten it up.

The GPX files for these 3 rides are attached to this post with my name in the titles. If you need them in a different format let me know.

The tracks that @MacDaddy shared are included here also.

We have several guys who want to ride dirt. If you are willing to step in and organize some tracks for a dirty group let me know. I'll post your tracks here along with the rest of the files.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• pacman_TWT2020_Tuesday.gpx
    619.9 KB · Views: 163
  • pacman_TWT2020_Wednesday.gpx
    472.3 KB · Views: 178
  • pacman_TWT2020_Thursday.gpx
    655.2 KB · Views: 177
  • MacDaddy_Eurkea_Springs_230_loop.gpx
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
  • MacDaddy_Russellville_Push_Mt._Eureka_Springs.gpx
    1.6 MB · Views: 196
  • MacDaddy_Eureka_Springs_Down_and_back.gpx
    2 MB · Views: 189
  • MacDaddy_Missouri_Madness.gpx
    2.4 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Just buy a bigazz trailer and haul them all up there. That is what my intentions were back in the spring. I had 2-3 trips planned to Arkansas. Did none of them. Waiting for cool weather and that miracle vaccine to go on the market.

(Yes, I would be interested.)

I'd be interested, though I'd prefer a longer time up there. I'd take a 5 day week off and use some weekend time too. Probably something like 6-7 days in the area. Makes better use of my 11hr one way travel time.

I prefer off pavement to on, but not so much trails. I ride an Africa Twin. I like camping off the bike, but have a travel trailer too that can function as a base camp somewhere.

Arkansas 500 is rescheduled to first weekend of October and Hillbilly dualsport the second. I planned on doing at least one of these and would be interested in this ride too.

Likely here, I have some vacation time built up. Like William, I'd probably like to get a few extra days in there too. Maybe trailer up the Husky and the Tenere. I would probably ride a little more road than dirt just because the roads are so good up there. Maybe do one of the dual sport rides that Mudclod mentioned.

Just buy a bigazz trailer and haul them all up there. That is what my intentions were back in the spring. I had 2-3 trips planned to Arkansas. Did none of them. Waiting for cool weather and that miracle vaccine to go on the market.

(Yes, I would be interested.)
I'm pretty sure I could get all three on my trailer. That little Husky doesn't take up much room.

There seems to be a fair bit of interest so I'll go ahead and start making some inquiries about lodging.

I'll also most likely take a trailer. I like to have a recovery vehicle available back at the hotel in case anyone goes down. Plus my wife wants to take her Miata this year to play on the twisty roads.

Arkansas 500 is rescheduled to first weekend of October and Hillbilly dualsport the second. I planned on doing at least one of these and would be interested in this ride too.
I plan on the Hillbilly and have requested the week of and week after as vacation. I'd be willing to meet up and hang out after the Hillbilly for a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I plan on the Hillbilly and have requested the week of and week after as vacation. I'd be willing to meet up and hang out after the Hillbilly for a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sounds good. I don't plan to far ahead because of our current situation, but I understand if you have to request vacation time. There's also another Dual sport event around that time called Rally to the Rock in Coombs. I could easily spend a week or more up there.

I'm interested, also depending on lockdown recommendations. I'm going stir-crazy here!

Someone write me a letter
I need to know that I'm still alive
Someone give me a telephone call
I need to hear a human sound
Someone open up a door
And let me out of this place
I've been caged up for oh so long
I don't know if I'm living or dying
Someone better give me love
Give me hope
Give me strength
Give me something to live for

Strenght - The Alarm

The family and I are hanging out in Wimberley for the week. Just a quick little Coronacation. When I get back I'll get to work on arrangements.

Can't wait for cooler weather! This Hill Country trip has been a cluster!
  • COVID19 (when we planned this trip things were actually getting better. But that didn't last.....)
  • 100*+ heat wave (pretty much expected that, but was hoping....turns out I'm about a week off. Supposed to be 5-10* cooler next week. :doh )
  • Master cylinder on our Expedition develops a leak and is dumping all the brake fluid into the booster. So our main transportation is in the shop, but at least my son has his car here, even though we don't all fit.
  • AC in our AirB&B went out last night. :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire If the crew can't get it working today, we're looking for new digs.
On the plus side, the house has a pool, and the views are not bad at all.

IMG_20200712_203822.jpg

First post updated. Dates are locked in. More updates with accommodations/rates coming soon.

I'll be putting together some road routes. Anyone else is welcome to do so as well. On my trips we typically split up into smaller groups of less than 5 bikes, and each group does their own thing.

If there's someone who's willing to put together and lead some dirty routes please speak up here. I think we have a few dirty folks who are planning to come.

I added an RSVP to the thread. Look for it up at the top.

Back