• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Europe Second Visit

jfink

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Fink
As I mentioned at the end of my previous thread (Europe), Chuck and I are headed back to Europe in September. We have begun to plan our visit. We have made flight reservations and are in the process of making a few hotel and ferry reservations. September/October is apparently prime "busy season", like we haven't heard that before.

I found a web site (MotorcycleScotland) that had a ton of information about routes and sights in Scotland. I incorporated the routes into our plan and found central locations to run loops through Scotland. Also, thanks to Stuart K who pointed out many things to watch out for (narrow roads, speed cameras, "average" speed cameras, etc). We will try to follow his advice.

Anyway, here is the first pass plan for our visit to the UK beginning 9/22/2018:
sf1OxByN8IJW_DIPo1LDR18BjIyU42XoEFNKcv0MK_Wdw_n0Ewg3hiXWlZBoH25L2SruMfGDBgCpDYz6-VR=w769-h601-no.jpg

If anyone wants this Garmin routing in either .gdb or .gpx format, let me know.

more to come ...

Last edited:
Average speed camera?

They take a photo at the beginning and end of a route and compute the time/speed difference? Wow.

No plans on taking the ferry over to the IOM and run the course?

Average speed camera?

They take a photo at the beginning and end of a route and compute the time/speed difference? Wow.

No plans on taking the ferry over to the IOM and run the course?

Stuart, our ex-cop friend from Ireland, says they can be as much as a half hour apart. He says we should be prepared to see people suddenly begin driving like old folk, after speeding by earlier.

We plan to make the Isle of Man. The ferry stops running from Ireland late September, so we will go to Liverpool then ride the ferry from there. And I plan to ride the course (city streets :-)). Here is something you may find interesting from Wikipedia about the Isle of Man speed limits:
Gq68lM4LFO-mkg37dsUzNkkcg5iy8TG_tBptiG9U4ncOBI9m88-ApJIF4AExbBF21mPXwN-OhCPG47GVAOs=w760-h310-no.jpg

Last edited:
I found something funny on advrider I have to post. A Scot when asked when is the best time to visit Scotland replied, "that would be one day in August!" The one next to him said, "usually a Wednesday."

I'm still chuckling.

Where do you store your bike and start your new journey

There are two active European motorcycle entrepreneurs on AdvRider. One is Stefan Knopf (Knoftours.com) and the other is Martin (MotoFeirMe.com). I shipped my Goldwing with Stefan and store it in Heidelberg, German. Chuck bought his bike and stores it with Martin in Kinsale, Ireland.

When we go, one of us has to go to meet the other. The first time, Chuck's wife met him in London and they spent some time there. Afterwards, he rode over, through the Chunnel and France to Heidelberg. He then rode back on the ferry from Roscoff, France to Cork. This time I ride the ferry from Roscoff to Cork and will finish the ride through the Chunnel and France.

Some years ago I rode the Edelweiss Scotland tour. I can't tell from the map if you are riding Applecross pass, but you are in the neighborhood. We rode it toward the coast, then took the coast road up the peninsula, circling around and down to Shieldag for lunch. That section of road is amazing, the scenery is spectacular, the tarmac is good, it's like God's own racetrack.

The Scottish single track roads are a lot of fun too. You get this crazy sensation of speed even at semi-reasonable velocities.

Enjoy, looks like a lot of fun!

Some years ago I rode the Edelweiss Scotland tour. I can't tell from the map if you are riding Applecross pass, but you are in the neighborhood. We rode it toward the coast, then took the coast road up the peninsula, circling around and down to Shieldag for lunch. That section of road is amazing, the scenery is spectacular, the tarmac is good, it's like God's own racetrack.

The Scottish single track roads are a lot of fun too. You get this crazy sensation of speed even at semi-reasonable velocities.

Enjoy, looks like a lot of fun!

I am not sure if we are riding Applecross Pass, I think we are. If you visit the Motorcycle Scotland website (above) they have 21 routes they recommend (their site could be a little better if they had a picture of the loop as the icon). I think that Applecross is included in their Two Giants loop.

What I did was to consolidate their routes where we could set up and ride day loops from a single location; Inverness (Northern and Central loops) and Moffat (Southern Loops). This is something we have never done, but Scotland roads seem to be set up perfectly for this option.

Thanks jfink. I do lots of touring on this site and on Google maps, will check both places out.

I have visited that site before. Cool. Motoferme

Last edited:
:eek2:I have 3 stops/routes for you guys...
#1 Masham, Yorkshire, England. The Theakstons Old Peculiar Brewery.
#2 Any road in the Lake District. I have stories to tell about that!
#3 Avebury, north of Stonehenge. Early stone monoliths that you can actually walk around and feel the vibes. They are not fenced off. When you head north from Stonehenge, the road has huge monoliths along the way and when you get to Avebury, you can walk around the village and the stone circles.
I will bring my atlas and Avebury book to the next bike night. rh

Yes, Applecross is on the two giants loop. That loop includes the route I described, though it branches off just before the town of Shieldag. It was a decent lunch stop, in case you are looking for one.

I think using Inverness as base camp is a great idea. It's a nice little city, and located so you can access all the good stuff as day rides. John O'Groats is rideable from Inverness, but it is a long day - more than 12 hours as I recall. Moving hotels every day gets old real fast.

Avebury stone circle is interesting, but it's near Bath and well off your route. There's a nice pub there where you can have a meal after walking the circle. No crowds, it's the opposite of Stonehenge.

The British motorcycle museum is just outside Birmingham. It is overwhelming - 900 bikes - but worth a stop if you have to end interest.

I'm riding a similar route through Ireland this summer, but on a bicycle. Probably it's going to take me longer... :) I'll try to post up any interesting findings.

Last edited:
Yes, Applecross is on the two giants loop. That loop includes the route I described, though it branches off just before the town of Shieldag. It was a decent lunch stop, in case you are looking for one.

I think using Inverness as base camp is a great idea. It's a nice little city, and located so you can access all the good stuff as day rides. John O'Groats is rideable from Inverness, but it is a long day - more than 12 hours as I recall. Moving hotels every day gets old real fast.

Avebury stone circle is interesting, but it's near Bath and well off your route. There's a nice pub there where you can have a meal after walking the circle. No crowds, it's the opposite of Stonehenge.

The British motorcycle museum is just outside Birmingham. It is overwhelming - 900 bikes - but worth a stop if you have to end interest.

I'm riding a similar route through Ireland this summer, but on a bicycle. Probably it's going to take me longer... :) I'll try to post up any interesting findings.

Thanks, that's great information. It's great what you are doing. I would be interested in hearing from you, as you go.

We are making two day loops from Inverness out of the John O'Groats loop. I don't know the conversion factor, but Basecamp (which is generally overly optimistic) says the first day is 259mi (4h26m) and the second is 312mi (5h49m). Stuart, who is our Motocop friend from Ireland says we can probably add a third again amount of time. Probably some words of wisdom to heed there.

The Moto museum is also something we may be interested in as well, thanks for that. I will put it on our list and depending on timing, we may substitute that visit from some of the riding we are looking at.

Appreciate your feedback.

I had a great ride through Scotland years ago. We started in London and rode our bikes right up on to the overnight train to Edinburgh. We thought we would get a bit of sleep, but that kept getting interrupted by the beer cart lady. We couldn't just say no, right? Anyway we arrived in Edinburgh around 5 am, just getting light and colder than kraut. We wasted about half an hour in the mens room, shaving, running the hand driers for heat, stalling, because neither of us wanted to start the ride cold and hungry and just a wee bit hungover.

Happy to say that after than inauspicious start we had a brilliant ride and several great days of sunny weather. Scottish hospitality is epic, the roads are beautiful, and the scenery stunning. Enjoy!

Dave.

I leave Tuesday 9/18/2018, to head to Germany. Chuck I believe leaves for Ireland on the 20th. Stefan has most things for me ready to go, in Germany. I have a little bike maintenance to do when I get there, but I only plan one day in Germany, then France and then Ireland via Ferry.

We have some things planned out, but other things we are just winging it. After lot's of experience traveling, neither of us gets too excited about having things nailed down. In the past, things either were wrong or changed because we changed our minds. Other than finding a few things for the Wing in the garage, I haven't even started packing yet.

Anyway, here are my Spotwalla tracks if anyone is interested in following along. SPOT TRACKS. Nothing will show up until we actually start traveling, next week. Chuck may post up his tracks here or he may not. On to Europe for the second time.

Looks like a great trip! The wife and I just returned from Ireland last week. We did a 9 day ride along the west coast, aka "wild atlantic way". Stayed in Donegal, Westport, Bunratty, and Killarney. If you need any B&B recommendations, let me know.

Looks like a great trip! The wife and I just returned from Ireland last week. We did a 9 day ride along the west coast, aka "wild atlantic way". Stayed in Donegal, Westport, Bunratty, and Killarney. If you need any B&B recommendations, let me know.

That sounds incredible and fun. My buddy Chuck is in charge of Ireland, since he has been there twice. We probably won't be staying in B&B's since, well, we're guys. :-) But I never know with Chuck, I may be giving you a shout.

Have a safe trip and I'll follow along here!

Joe...Will you carry the satellite transmitter on the aircraft? Will it work in flight, or will you, like they say, keep it turned off while in flight?

I had a good time watching Texas t on his coast to coast ride. I'm sure I will ride along with you in Europe too :wave:

Last edited:
I am back from my little Irish bicycle ride. I was mistaken, our route was not that much like yours. We started at Mizen Head (south of Cork), up the Ancient East coast almost to Dublin, across the middle to the west coast, and then up the Wild Atlantic Way, working our way over to Derry and then Malin Head. Looks like you are landing at Cork and riding the Wild Atlantic Way anti-clockwise all the way around. Not sure how much you are interested in riding vs. off the bike things to do, but here’s my input.

Don’t think you are going to Waterford, but it’s an interesting town. The Vikings landed there and more or less started colonizing Ireland. Great walking tour. Stayed at the Waterford Marina Hotel, a decent 3 Star.

Near Cork, Kinsale is pretty and something of a foodie town if you want a better than average meal. Can’t recommend Cobb, it’s touristywith a Titanic themed museum.

I suggest riding down to Mizen Head. It’s the southern most point. The ride is great, and it’s like visiting the buoy in Key West.

On the west coast, Sligo is a lively university town - good music and food there. We stayed at the Clayton hotel, which a friend from the area tells me is the old psychiatric hospital. Seemed like an appropriate place to check in. Kinda fancy, but a treat.

In the Sligo area, I really liked the ride around the north side of Lough Gill on the R286.

North of Sligo, ride the loop around Mullaghmore. It is stunningly beautiful. Great views of the castle owned by Lord Mountbatten. The IRA blew him up during The Troubles. You can visit WB Yeats grave in the area. Let me know if you figure out his epitaph.

We stayed at the Sandhouse Hotel north of Sligo in Rosswowlagh. It’s right on the Atlantic, and a very cool place. Recommend if you need to over nite in that vicinity.

Spend time riding and exploring north and west of Donegal. It is the rugged, wild coast you see in pictures. Worth lots of time.

I liked the city of Derry. Beer and dinner at the Great Wall brewery was a food highlight of the trip. Also recommend a Martin McCrossan walking tour - it finally explains what went on between the Irish and English, and how they got so crosswise with one another.

Not sure how helpful this is to you, but I’m trying!

I am back from my little Irish bicycle ride. I was mistaken, our route was not that much like yours. We started at Mizen Head (south of Cork), up the Ancient East coast almost to Dublin, across the middle to the west coast, and then up the Wild Atlantic Way, working our way over to Derry and then Malin Head. Looks like you are landing at Cork and riding the Wild Atlantic Way anti-clockwise all the way around. Not sure how much you are interested in riding vs. off the bike things to do, but here’s my input.

Don’t think you are going to Waterford, but it’s an interesting town. The Vikings landed there and more or less started colonizing Ireland. Great walking tour. Stayed at the Waterford Marina Hotel, a decent 3 Star.

Near Cork, Kinsale is pretty and something of a foodie town if you want a better than average meal. Can’t recommend Cobb, it’s touristywith a Titanic themed museum.

I suggest riding down to Mizen Head. It’s the southern most point. The ride is great, and it’s like visiting the buoy in Key West.

On the west coast, Sligo is a lively university town - good music and food there. We stayed at the Clayton hotel, which a friend from the area tells me is the old psychiatric hospital. Seemed like an appropriate place to check in. Kinda fancy, but a treat.

In the Sligo area, I really liked the ride around the north side of Lough Gill on the R286.

North of Sligo, ride the loop around Mullaghmore. It is stunningly beautiful. Great views of the castle owned by Lord Mountbatten. The IRA blew him up during The Troubles. You can visit WB Yeats grave in the area. Let me know if you figure out his epitaph.

We stayed at the Sandhouse Hotel north of Sligo in Rosswowlagh. It’s right on the Atlantic, and a very cool place. Recommend if you need to over nite in that vicinity.

Spend time riding and exploring north and west of Donegal. It is the rugged, wild coast you see in pictures. Worth lots of time.

I liked the city of Derry. Beer and dinner at the Great Wall brewery was a food highlight of the trip. Also recommend a Martin McCrossan walking tour - it finally explains what went on between the Irish and English, and how they got so crosswise with one another.

:ponder: sounds thread worthy to me

Joe...Will you carry the satellite transmitter on the aircraft? Will it work in flight, or will you, like they say, keep it turned off while in flight?

I had a good time watching Texas t on his coast to coast ride. I'm sure I will ride along with you in Europe too :wave:

I will carry it, but leave it off. But, I can't say I have ever tried it on an airplane. I suspect it would not work though. It doesn't work when I am under a few trees, I can't imagine being confined inside a metal cocoon would be any better? I don't think there is much information to be gleaned and I would just be wasting batteries.

Pretty impressive for bicycling. It would be interesting to hear about your trip over a beer sometime.

I passed your information along to my buddy Chuck, who is responsible for the Ireland routes. We will staying at least one night in Kinsale though, and may be we will get the chance to try a little of the food and beer. Thanks for your suggestions.

Back