• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Europe

Here are a few of my favorites from today. If you want to see the entire album, click HERE.

The Heidelberg Castle from the pathway up:
7YnbYEgbSWVl8a50pj6CA5DZaWuups9EC5C93Wx3X6dl8vtKprAGnnUMKKEGdq6eBN-wvNvYUyxnNVAF_0=w1148-h647-no.jpg

The Castle with Heidelberg in the background:
SGfAhvqwkuKHdzh-bISPrh1iqZ5BwFaGtobmeklGjr-50fDsWHq4FnpXsXutjhV1ACeGqg2HVXia5UQCPc=w1148-h647-no.jpg

Heidelberg from above, the quality (graininess) almost makes it look like a painting:
kPtvrAAr9z_jxVPmnwISFDLO2C7rKD8LgArxQyERzN5jn5Bbo2BZNu81W0PnuhxLM8tcxJxPCfzZITRGFU5=w365-h647-no.jpg

And another, it's hard for me to pick my favorite:
ISFGc8kIMvdS6BTTHYkAvEkWNIxrYp9VS-IbtxZIGghDZgvJkk_ZhbQ3JWvENvOh_bEnHLumJc-68ewqml=w1148-h647-no.jpg

The Castle:
zDmWHoFJrruGYIry0WDUJxdPLc91dwBDr8CJxil5MtpUM_pOvhDEt_rxCyRgAL4PV7rpsFfexxnEolZv6b=w1148-h647-no.jpg

Chuck, before he shaved his beard:
BayRCo1XWHe1L4JwHpU8sXzPFM4JULxQaQfw3wwYz9myGst6LZmkT7bYsfarBhYndn6e1djl0cv8lZLo3z=w1148-h647-no.jpg

Someone is in trouble!!!
CMp9yF1t6BJpysh_P0JHxy9V2xKTG1xv1fKNwKsIXcsmj7J_gaFfvXSLF1FiCWex_5hKqq-V3lM-7OpWMhJ=w365-h647-no.jpg

First beer (or beir) in Germany (it was a weissen, so it wasn't very tasty):
3hou5lgM9-D8vzSCAHSQjLX16dyPRlCS8KrfS8iqe7qbFVCbPyOrb6VsAaVa3GyrsvXHCQy5efclH9u4hUQ=w365-h647-no.jpg

The courtyard inside the Castle:
f4BPWfJmeikV8nY1nIOg6W7xzvDOGx4PsbjKWfYHdxrTtqm2altOKS48wngV3UbFpcOajuFTrllu2FqIMP=w1148-h647-no.jpg

Looking down at Haupstrasse, from the "deck" of the Castle:
3U7Vp4VO08ox1XIoDb3fRl6DAhZzL7a1bwNwpQUwSWh69an22_vsUq8nZcjX6VCtaBobGUG1Ksu2yVL2o0=w1148-h647-no.jpg

Looking up from Haupstrasse, to where I was earlier:
Yo269_Z9yNH40jz0Wt6ZhepwTK2UpNU27-hOnZUMnUyTX-9qo63MsKXdyqzgx33Qvtig3eG5iq7UKtetaj=w1148-h647-no.jpg

The biggest Keg I have ever seen. According to the placard, 221,726 liters or 58,574 gallons:
s1Eq5EwKdoSdYZuPUQJH4JQf-A_aRjDn6D3AQt_5xn_D-wUGTFlBarq6uDPrUF8nqugwdSeALtUbw4Jr_1f=w365-h647-no.jpg

Part of the castle interior:
8__zpXx0U0InsZ8gtUsMTrfUNcR0n3EZ4AfE9W9vTbLfUQrhcjwp6DVEnn1U5vZi1dNCOPaGBTPMcgkt81=w1148-h647-no.jpg

One of many narrow streets. So, one of the many memories I have as a child in Germany was watching a tank go down a street such as this with the flower boxes on the windows. The tank driver wasn't that good and as he went he was taking out flower box after flower box. The house fraus were coming out and shaking their fists and cussing him out. Funny the things you remember:
CcQrSyQVPei-vY-o4vpqUvytl1_-y0kPZTW--f1vM4CoDmUop5an2F7aPiA-bSzYnWrF_MRsL1C25P7hvmm=w365-h647-no.jpg

I received a call from Chuck, he says he will likely be here in the next couple hours. A day early. He might end up sleeping in the mechanics shed. :-)

Last edited:
No, but send me an airline ticket & I'll catch up to you in Munich! :trust: Just kidding. We'll have to join up at a pie run or something one day.

We are moving along. In the past three days we traveled through some great little backroads in Germany, up through Denmark and into Sweden. Passing over the bridge between Denmark and Sweden was exceptionally winding. Pretty country and we are making good time. Here are some pictures.

TWO WHEELED TEXANS IN GERMANY
Yo1VuXOTziqfQBOPJcShJWCNHh1c5_RZZCm8Jt2oHuKRYU_HbZ64qND_i-WC6uwyi8b5lZuzmTVU1OfKXcP=w969-h647-no.jpg

Our Gasthaus in Lauenberg
IuNchG9j8y4pZSxZJ48MuKpoXL00pjXQSynCkT6EWraVmPAovO41QMewCfPfY6sp0HFTAEVuWUguq-lH9RU=w969-h647-no.jpg

Snitzel in Lauenberg Gasthaus, this was the "SMALL" 300g, the large was 600g.
rurt6cZzmyirJtBoVY1x5mFScwpN0dK1F23vkvQ4zUsGNfMUeVhedSKlROPtCNUdZDPx2Giw6cNZpmJfYl=w1151-h647-no.jpg

Your trusty travelers
vj3xQOKRQurmnsE0M5jEgfxrYPyTHu5vha7Z4-bhQaGVKcH4SPZJ_S8ya1NmV9_Z-oh8mtLCPm0UPW9IFX=w1151-h647-no.jpg

Springtime in Germany!!!
n4hx2tUJivAocA24aVzLbZGzbonHsIVFkAghwdBCssFP93ay_4j0I8MJOUIsbaVCprNdvALJXDWHkgIrulm=w364-h647-no.jpg

Hotel Europa in Aabeneraa, Denmark
kg79dOn-i6DXxNKzgGOi55lQp1m0NB7Wfbc_FD3Cbm1hZrKmfchMCJ2ydJSyLxXyTT4o-xAJGLPSAPASeab=w969-h647-no.jpg

Last night while pulling into out hotel in Sweden, I heard a metal to metal sound of brakes dragging. Looks like we are headed to Stockholm to see if I can find some brake pads.

Enjoying your trip report.

Hope the weather continues to cooperate!

Thanks, finding new things and taking pictures while traveling is enjoyable. However, it is becoming quite difficult as the European Privacy Act kicks in. Every country, every account and every system (Microsoft, Google, Wifi systems, etc.) requires acknowledgement and loading of cookies, sometimes pages of them. Then they are always in the local languages, so we have no idea what we are agreeing too. And even when we do agree, when we move on to another part of the same country it requires more re-acknowledgement. It's overwhelming. This is an example of government doing what they believe is a good thing for their people but not considering the consequences. This is flat ugly!!!

:-)

Thanks, finding new things and taking pictures while traveling is enjoyable. However, it is becoming quite difficult as the European Privacy Act kicks in. Every country, every account and every system (Microsoft, Google, Wifi systems, etc.) requires acknowledgement and loading of cookies, sometimes pages of them. Then they are always in the local languages, so we have no idea what we are agreeing too. And even when we do agree, when we move on to another part of the same country it requires more re-acknowledgement. It's overwhelming. This is an example of government doing what they believe is a good thing for their people but not considering the consequences. This is flat ugly!!!

:-)

Is the new law also affecting the pix you take in public?

:eat:I want more details on the food! The meal spread in a couple of photos made me REALLY hungry. I am also very interested in the beer consumption. I am following your travel on Wikipedia, etc, it is a great learning experience, wish I was there! RH

:eat:I want more details on the food! The meal spread in a couple of photos made me REALLY hungry. I am also very interested in the beer consumption. I am following your travel on Wikipedia, etc, it is a great learning experience, wish I was there! RH

Rick, food has been hit or miss. The snitzel in Germany was fantastic, and lots of fresh bread. The beer has been mostly miss, with primarily witte and pilners, that you could almost buy from Budweiser. We did have a fairly good IPA two nights ago, but the one we had last night was really an Amber. But, I will continue to look for a good beer, just for you.?

We are half way up the eastern side of Sweden on the Baltic Sea. The scenery is fantastic. Thought I would post a few pictures of our trip.

Hotel Smaland, we ate at the cafeteria and had a couple beers:
RDG0g6-BaY_UjqJEfT3fIFdQmSIBYKPNLnU_Zunb_UHLJDBwG7eN_PkVrI7qqjICOZeh1Ei3kLAWaq5RAp-=w969-h647-no.jpg

Our room in Hudiksvall, a train ran through our room and it ran all night
4DSo_CDL7nPZRwuOcLDKUAUWJxusOFZbLndrTsHntjtR9gQQtKyw0naRaVg4lghSnKR2WQXg_fgAGGu7YIS=w969-h647-no.jpg

Chuck sitting and enjoying the view north of Sundsvall
0KRxJYrcugaDz3XTEsy_D70V2vGSrbTDWpiMYEaPlj7mEfXtqa4HKv54F9J_MK5Vuzw8uiD0N6pZscANbl=w1151-h647-no.jpg

This is the view
WGzYJGulwyp-WCZcNMx0g1YNkb1Odd9SSfv70pqmbaDEDrjoEoTHV9WZeiCrcn2IAnbnzC-W_VgcztEu_YM=w969-h647-no.jpg

Love the report. Spent 5 of the best years of my life living in Germany. I'm surprised about your beer comments though. I'm a huge fan of the pilsners and hellas in Germany. Thankfully, there were little to no IPAs when I was there.

Enjoy the trip and love seeing the pics.

Love the report. Spent 5 of the best years of my life living in Germany. I'm surprised about your beer comments though. I'm a huge fan of the pilsners and hellas in Germany. Thankfully, there were little to no IPAs when I was there.

Enjoy the trip and love seeing the pics.

Yes, I understand. Beer is a very individual thing. I started with Coors and Budweiser years ago but gained an appreciation for IPA's and Stouts. We have found a couple good stouts or "stout like" ambers, but very few IPA in Germany all the way up through Finland, where we are now. But as I mentioned, we will keep looking! :-)

We are in a little town called Kolari in Finland, staying in a "rustic" cabin. It's clean, warm and we will do well. We do not understand the owners and they don't understand us, but they do understand the credit cards.

Pictures to come with a better internet.

True, beer is a personal thing, but I don't care who you are, a good Belgium is phenomenal when compared to others! Looking forward to more pics.

Really enjoying the ride report. Out of curiosity, what's the weather like, especially the humidity?

Safe travels,

Double post

Last edited:
Really enjoying the ride report. Out of curiosity, what's the weather like, especially the humidity?

Safe travels,

It's 11:00pm now in Finland. We are in a town called Sodankyla. These folks definitely have a sense of humor:
XKx_S2nyWJB6i1hWABPuGYA2DzdjwiTQjVJAOMhIErwI_gTk0osMISk7Cr82uW3nsoBSjCEMdxuE2HW2CH=w1151-h647-no.jpg

We did make the North Cape (Nordkapp). It was slightly cold, I think we saw 34deg. The wind was howling. But overall it was a good ride.
bPFIiwtaJjCtf8yrx1KdV1hhmjJi0jc9PykqJs7unBFYvS-eM5NkOWE6Z2Tra_MZMy8BfOvVPHshRXyWrx_=w969-h647-no.jpg

Entrance to the longest of five or six tunnels on the way to Nordkapp. Length of 6,870 meters or about 4.3 miles long.
61w5xAtB2qapNZp8chPw7AI3ZmRM10ZzGKcLvFHenClKLHs_-B0ySGs9TC9hhvo8E8ohZ5SYKBUnZGYLOn8=w969-h647-no.jpg

Bad photo due to light conditions but you "get the pictures":
P8j36E2lhMCIUIpnxiwFb0LppPtMW3jTNSf8_j4707qwkHaS8Czd92PAXoUcVoA4FkBsCu9mOu5W7GU2_yh=w968-h647-no.jpg

Photos for you poor folks in Texas suffering from 95deg+ weather.
-Nymj5CIUtB7IpKHHjtULc7T1msNkguQZcLREB1bXuII3uGvnFHe9RjKPj4DlDRFBfKJxleo_m1TsCioxOs=w969-h647-no.jpg

jYffgyLv8-DWwaM2L_EXus4lFa6r2y1HErbvNfBDQInl5ZdQ7SOjvzTl8BSyzwuFVVONZhTRvgznpSBwqAx=w969-h647-no.jpg

She made it after a few little hiccups:
p2S3spaugcGsEdscqp0zsRhDIwNG-XRAs2c9hSnpmdB6-YgO2ZAuJ6RftYPtzfZtbHKlnRguo2IzfSjuhOa=w969-h647-no.jpg

Thank you Laura for the scarf. A little extra protection is appreciated:
x07ppFgcMul2DVf0e18yyEz8GFDTg7kaECGH2KzABifbgh8PgJ03fhhengW_R1fgseBdREj05HC0CKD_dXo=w969-h647-no.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, you're driving along trying to find a town or see if you are headed the right direction, you have about 2 seconds to read the sign. Good luck, hahaha:
e_aGKSSH25aHhozAWzd2uMYB9EO86Dfa-mQA0stwvEVx1t36c73NKFmtSdB04gEP6CJL6L2dsuNPzd8cv9s=w969-h647-no.jpg

There were so many of these on the road, I stopped taking pictures of them. Reindeer or Caribou, your preference. It is amazing how they are not even fazed by passing cars, trucks or even motorcycles. They just watched us go by. Forgive the thumb.
3eEtjVzapq42R5qcYFC1rkSAb0ILUMTMYCZbcQ2FbJTzSjkeSCdbpYVR-5ahVGbEIkE1RZQIrQqnoDFXZEl=w969-h647-no.jpg

We are finding that things on the far eastern side of Europe are a little more sparse. However, the prices don't reflect the lack of customers and tourists. Things continue to be expensive.

More to come ...

Last edited:
Hmm.. the pics in your last post aren't showing, Joe.

Hmm.. the pics in your last post aren't showing, Joe.

Hopefully the pictures are working now. It's 10:30pm here in Helsinki, right now. Today we ended up doing about 30 or 40 miles of dirt road, by mistake. Something similar to the quality of the cheeseburger loop. I thought I had planned out a nice little back road but it turned to dirt about half way. A Goldwing on dirt isn't the best way to see a new country.

Tomorrow morning we cross the "Gulf of Finland" and enter into Estonia. We are about half way into the trip right now, at least in days and a little further than half way in distance. For that reason, we are looking to stop an extra day in Estonia and take a rest, get some laundry done and enjoy the locale.

More pictures later, right now ... sleep.

Last edited:
Looks like you guys are having fun. We are back in Texas burning up.

Honestly Joe, we are burning up here. One of the things we have noticed is in colder climates, all the buildings are kept really hot. Most the places we have stayed haven't even had air conditioning and windows are locked shut. When they have had A/C it didn't work. But, we are fortunate in that the weather has been good and the outside temperatures have been great for riding.

Last edited:
Back