• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Exhaust pipe reducers

SL350

Reaction score
I've got a problem and I wonder if I am missing some easy work around. My header pipe is smaller than the muffler. It's too loud and I can feel the exhaust air escaping at the connection. The proper sl350 exhaust pipes are $1200 and I'm using a different set of mufflers from a CB350.

When I first noticed it I was on the road in NM. I bought muffler wrap and tried to fill the gap with it and it blew out. It really never fit. Then I tried wrapping it around the outside and it never lasted more that 50 or 100 miles before it came off.

I've bought reducers as seen in the following picture and I'll start shopping for some again. But is there some kind of work around you guys have done in the past?

1582231324315.png

You might be able to get a local exhaust shop to expand your header pipe to fit the mufflers.

Harbor freight sells some tubing expanders that might be just what you need to resize that header. They're cheap but if you're not planning to make a living with them...

I've used an Illy coffee can to repair it. I cut a strip of the can and wrapped it around the header. I could not expand the header cause it has a steel ring about an inch from the end. It's good for today, hope it holds up.

It looks like the ones you have the picture of don't have a stop on them. Many of the older ones I have seen have a lip that butts up against the muffler keeping it or them from sliding into the muffler. I might have some used ones. Let me check.

I should have asked what is the OD of the pipe and what is the ID of the muffler?

It's already installed so I can't measure without removing them. There is a clamp that goes over these and snugs up to the ring around the header.

Thanks for the offer but I have moved on.

Back