• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Experimental photo, comments please

Reaction score
Hi, hoping for some feedback on this one. I purposely composed it with focal black and white effect in mind (it was shot in color and then modified) and also cropped in camera to be "incomplete" in the sense that the two diagonals (lower left and upper right) were purposely cut.
Lighting was natural afternoon light on a cloudy day.
Trying to push myself a little and see what I can come up with.
Any feedback? Thanks as always.

Theincomplete8X10FocalBWOK_zps2faf6359.jpg

Honestly, I don't like it all. In my opinion, select color photos scream "I am a weak photo so I tried this gimmick to take your attention away from that" and the cut off hand appears to not serve any purpose to the photo except to distract from the flowers.

Sorry....not trying to be harsh. It is only my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

No worries, exactly the kind of to the point feedback that is helpful.
Thanks for the comments.

The fingers should not be in the pic and if the flower is the subject, the planter or framing it is in detracts from it.

I would have liked a symmetrical composition, no fingers and better red effect on the rose.

Nice effort... it piques my curiousity. Definitely has an artistic flair to it and with most artsy creations there should be a method to your madness. Care to share your goal and are you happy with the results?

I like the various textures(window screen, wood grain, smooth metal, mottled floor). The contrast on the rose is a bit harsh for my taste.(at least on my monitor) A woman's hand with well manicured nails might be more appealing. Perhaps with red nail polish?

Thanks, Dutch. Great idea on the red painted nails. I appreciate all the feedback, it was a case of trying something different.

I kind of like it, the wood grain on the box really pops, and so does the chrome bar, all of the textures, as mentioned; it's grating on the senses because of the asymmetry, specifically how that bar is cut off and the disembodied hand... same with the flower on right being colored but the flower on left not being, the seam from the window being offset, etc.

It's not bad but I think the asymmetry is too pervasive for most people to 'like' it.

My litmus test of sorts is "would I hang it on my wall" to determine if I like it or not. I wouldn't hang this one.

For me, I like symmetry, and absent symmetrical lines, I like those lines to lead me to the main subject or intent of the image. I get somewhat lost in the top right lines and overall intent. I like how the base is in-line with the floor lines, but for me, the rest just falls apart with the sliding door white seam on the left third in the back. And I don't get the hand at all. Even with red fingernail polish, I'd still be asking 'what' or 'why'.

Looking closer, I THINK I'm looking at a red rose on the right and a black dead rose on the left, but I'm not sure. Too many unanswered questions in my mind and not enough content to keep me thinking about it.

Thanks, for the observations. The original intent was for it to be "incomplete" on the diagonals. For me it was an interesting experience to try something different, all the feedback is very helpful for what I need to concentrate on!

Back