• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Exposure Cheat Sheet

Hail

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
30 years ago I received a Pentax K1000 as a high school graduation gift. I still have that camera (though I need to get it into a shop for repair.) I loved photography back then. There was something about still life images that that seemed so much more realistic to me than real life. Don't know if that makes me sound a bit crazy or not but it is the only way I can describe it.

I loved taking photos and I always wanted, what was in my mind, a slightly artistic composition for anything I did. I had no desire to just record a moment. I wanted something that brought me pleasure to look at over and over.

Anyway, since that time I have not played with SLR of any kind. I have gone through countless point and shoots. Each one a little better than the last. To make a long story short I plain and simply forgot all the elements of exposure and what they really mean.

I have linked a document from Luke Zeme Photography that has really helped me with my re-introduction to photography. It is an exposure cheat sheet. This will be an over simplified view of things for most in this forum but if you are completely new to SLR or, like me have been away from it for an extended period of time, I think it is really helpful.
http://lukezeme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Cheat-Sheet-by-lukezeme1.jpg

I hope this helps someone else also. Things are coming along now and I probably won't need this for long. It is just helpful to have the basic info about aperture, shutter speed & ISO on one page instead of different chapters in an electronic book.

Last edited:
That's a nice little summary, Brad which I'm sure will help those diving back into this.

I've used several similar charts from different sources. It is handy to just look it over sometimes to refresh my memory. It takes multiple impressions to get things to stick in my head nowadays... I can study it, understand it, put it down, come back to it not too long afterward, and it will be like I totally forgot everything I understood before :doh: :lol2:

Thanks, this is very helpful! I have a 35 mm Pentax that I got many, many years ago. I also have a collection of point and shoot. I just got an Olympus M5 II and am trying to learn. Having fun with it!
Jennifer

I can study it, understand it, put it down, come back to it not too long afterward, and it will be like I totally forgot everything I understood before :doh: :lol2:

Sounds exactly like me. :)

Back