• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Face Shield Cleaner

I'll be the black sheep here and say all I've ever used is Windex on every helmet I've owned since Windex was around and I started riding in 1970...high dollar helmets like Simpson, Arai, etc...to the more bargain oriented like AFX and such. I use a full paper towel sheet folded in 1/4's and get one side reasonably dampened. Even if coated in bugs I just start wiping and get it clean. I'll fold the paper towel over to a clean side and finish wiping and occasionally wipe out the inside too.

I've worked part time at motorcycle shop since the 70's and can get my helmets, face shields, and any cleaners at cost. I'm not a cheapskate, but this plain Windex deal has worked for me forever. My shields don't get cloudy, scratched, or foggy. I've worn out helmets with the original shields, and the only time I can recall having to replace a shield on a helmet I was still using was because of breakage due to fumblefingeritis.

I don't know...I tend to think some of this extreme fastidiousness on our motorcycle helmet face shields may be overdone. And that remark is not intended in any way to diss' those who go to great lengths in this particular area. People should use what they feel works and has worked for them.

TBH I used Windex on my previous helmet, just using water alone on the HJC because a) HJC recommends it and b) it just plain works. HJC says Windex etc. will potentially degrade the anti-scratch coating. I didn't even read the manual on my previous (non-RPHA) helmet.

I have to say... yes, I've since switched to ammonia-free glass cleaners for helmet and windscreens, because of the incompatibility with polycarbonate plastic. For the longest time though, I had used nothing but good old regular Windex. Maybe I've never used any of them long enough for the small % of ammonia in Windex to take effect, but I've never seen any evidence of deterioration.

Still... would I go back to using regular Windex on a regular basis? No. The ammonia-free cleaners do a pretty good job, and they don't cost that much more, so why take the chance?

Would I be scared to use regular Windex on a few occasions where that is all I have available? Nope.

Last edited:
Used nothing but Plexus for years and thought I'd never switch, but the dealer gave me a couple bottles of the Honda cleaner when I bought my VFR and it works just as well. Since it seems like the Honda stuff costs about 25% less, I'll probably stick with it.

I'm sure other ammonia-free solutions work just as well for less money, but I tend to be hard headed when I find something I like. Then again, I'm pretty hard-headed in general. My ex-wife said I was probably wasting money on helmets.

Water and a clean, wet sponge. I dry it with a terrycloth dish towel.

I use lemon Pledge to clean the plastic on the VStrom.

I was given a can of Honda Polish and Cleaner when I bought my Valkarie in 1999 and haven't been without a can of the stuff since. Best marketing strategy ever. I even use it on my car grills and wheel well trim to remove any bugs and road tar.

1. Invisible Glass cleaner on helmet and shield followed by an application of Maguires on both. 2.Next cleaning is done with a damp cotton wash cloth. Removes the gnarliest of bug guts. Third time , repeat step 1.

I was using Honda brand but bought the Original Bike Spirits at a dealer who told me they made the Honda brand too.

Bug Slide
Face Shield and windscreen and anything else. Makes the bugs slide right off.

One thing I learned the hard way is that if you have a Pin Lock shield on your face shield: Only clean it with water. About anything else will cause pitting on the Pin Lock plastic. I was amazed how much damage I caused with plastic cleaners.

Easily mistaken for the Honda cleaner.... cheaper than Plexus.... Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish is my go to.

1630536249214.png

Thread resurrection....

Wow. I hadn't priced Plexus for a while. $30.
Bike Spirits is close behind around $25.
I did find Honda spray cleaner in the ballpark price of Pledge. $25 for 3 cans.

Back