• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Face Shield Cleaner

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Brogden
I've been very happy using Plexus to clean my face shield but the can I bought 10 years ago is about empty.

What's your favorite face shield cleaner?

Iā€™ve been using the Honda Spray Polish since I started riding street bikes and still do to this day.

It is by far my favorite.

I'm pretty sure that Honda cleaner only works on Hondas. šŸ¤Ŗ

A few months ago I switched from amonia free Windex, which was always difficult to get rid of the cloud effect, to Armor All and I'm pleased with it. 3 or 4 bucks for a 22oz. spray bottle at the big box retailer.

What works for me:
-general grime gets a wipe with a damp micro fiber cloth and dry with a second micro fiber cloth
- bugs get soaked in WD40 and wiped off then washed with dish soap and micro fiber cloth

What does not work for me:
-Rain-X plastic formula. Rain will not bead and blow off like the original glass formula does. I really could not tell the difference when I used it

On the road I use Wet ones (used to be called baby wipes) the little plastic pouches that are reclose able, and a micro fiber cloth. They are made to clean protein, so they work well on bugs, they are made of cloth so they don't scratch. I throw them in my tank bag, super handy when fueling, also use them for a spit bath when on the road.

Have used the Plexus stuff in the past, but I don't discriminate against whatever is cheap that works good. The Honda stuff seems to work just as good.

I use these baby wipes the Mrs. buys in bulk from amazon (amazon elements they come in a white and blue flip top / we have twins). I use those things for everything; wind screen, auto interior upholstery and dash too. You just jam a bunch of them in a sealable plastic bag and they can come in a jacket pocket for work commutes or on a long trips thru the Texas corn and sorghum fields with roadside kamikaze grasshoppers waiting to pounce. No fragrance. They dont scratch my visor, are nice to wipe down my face down after a few hours of riding in Tx heat as well. They stay wet but only slightly damp and dont leave any residue. I'll show myself out now. šŸ˜¬

Careful with the Pledge. The Pledge of today is not the same as the Pledge of even five years ago. The formula has been changed. I used to use it not only on my shields both face/wind but also on the rest of the bike. Softened the bugs up on the front painted areas headlights and all. Heck for a while it even stated on the can "for use on motorcycles"! And was dirt cheap! When they changed the formula not only did they remove that statement but added "not for use on painted surfaces" and of course the price went up. Try some of their generic competitors instead but check the recommended usages. YMMV

So far I have not a need for anything but a touch of water and a microfiber cloth. That's what happens to be recommended by HJC. On a different note, looking at "baby wipes" on Amazon I found the "99.9% water" "fragrance-free" ones on there, which are of course a premium price. Give me "100.0% water" and I'll put some in my saddle bag to use when I am out. FWIW 99.9% water could be lots of things besides "water". That 0.1% can really make the stuff not water.

Plexus has gotten crazy expensive over the years, but I still use it for the windscreen and face shield. Personally, I'd avoid any ammonia product (e.g Windex) as polycarbonate is not resistant to ammonia. It will begin to break down the face shield and can impair both its optical quality by yellowing / hazing and may alter it's impact resistance. It's likely that you'll replace the helmet or shield before it has visible impact, but it can make polycarbonate brittle.

I go back and forth between the Hondaclean spray wax/cleaner product and "Invisible Glass", each with a microfiber rag. Both work well and I make it a habit to clean my helmet and visor immediately after every ride. So far my visor has no pit marks or swirls and its going on 3 years old.

Back