• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Failed shock. DRZ250

Reaction score
I have a 2002 DRZ250. Not a lot of them around. I made it street legal with plates, just to get to riding trails. Took an attempt at a huge rough hill the other day. The bike did well except for the rear shock. Nada. Like a pogo stick. Has anyone attempted to rebuild one of these. An oem lists for around $1200....not gonna happen. I've done forks many times, but havent attempted a shock, so any advise would be appreciated.,

Is this the same shock? -

Reading online;
The bigger problem with the DRZ250 rear shock is that it is a sealed unit and not easily rebuilt. The repeated cycling of the shock heats the oil and over time it needs to be changed. I sent mine to Race Tech, had it revalved and resprung for my weight and type of riding. They remove the sealed cap of the nitrogen reservoir and replace it with a machined billet cap with the nitrogen recharge connection. Total cost for revalve, rebuild, spring, and cap with shipping across the country was $450 USD

Depending on shops in your area, they may charge less than what this guy paid. Adding a bleed to make it serviceable in the future seems like a good investment.

I have been gone to Ark. since my post and just gettng back. I'll watch the video and see what it offers. I owned a bike shop for a while but never rebuilt a shock. (Did lots of forks) . I can probably figure it out, but like everyone else, my time is precious and sparse. Really enjoying the little bike, so might wait for winter to tackle it. Although any serious riding it out of the question with it's current po-go rear end.

That shock is a little unusual I would choose someone like Drew Smith at W E R. He has a long history with Suzuki and a true susp guru. Call him and have a talk, bet you will be glad you did.

That shock is a little unusual I would choose someone like Drew Smith at W E R. He has a long history with Suzuki and a true susp guru. Call him and have a talk, bet you will be glad you did.
I am not familiar with the name WER? or Drew Smith. Where abouts?

Works Enduro Rider---Drew Smith ia a legendary offroad rider and occasional mgr of the ISDE teams. His shop is in New Jersey. Just google Works Enduro Rider and you should get plenty of info and contact info. Whatever he tells you is dependable, straight forward and honest. His work is as good as it gets and priced fairly.

Thanks for the info. Their website is straight forward and says it all. Very reasonable prices too! I think I shall give them a try...soon.

New OEM DR anything shocks have been outrageous for years from what my friends who own them tell me. Aftermarket/rebuild shops are the way to go.

Back