• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Father Daughter Dance

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab So I didn't get to do any riding or attend Ron's Fish Fry today. He always manages to schedule them when I am either working or have something else going on already. I am sure it is just a coincidence... :wary: Today, I had a Father-Daughter dance to attend with my two daughters. They participate in American Heritage Girls (similar to Girl Scouts). This was one of their events. Here are a few of the photos from the event.

:tab The lighting was kind of whacky. It was all fluorescent. So I had to play around with the white balance in LR to get the skin tones looking right. This is also the first batch of photos I've done since getting and installing the Spyder5 Pro monitor calibration system. So if they look off to you, like ALL of them, please let me know.

:tab I don't know who all the people are, but I'll name the ones I do know.

This is Lilly, or "Lillybug" as we call her.
750_1356.jpg

Robert "Boots" Knight, Lilly and Maddie (one of Sarah's best friends)
750_1359.jpg

750_1361.jpg

Beth was helping with the running of the event. This meant that Daniel had to attend with us. He was the only boy there. He's not old enough yet to appreciate that luck :-P
750_1365.jpg

Getting enough DOF for shots like this was HARD. I was running the flash. I wanted to keep the shutter speed relatively fast. The ISO was REALLY wanting to float high, like 10K and up. I usually like to keep it to 6400 max. The girls are a bit softer in this shot than I would have preferred. I should have moved and shot them side by side so they'd all be about the same distance from me so the DOF would not have been as critical.
750_1369.jpg

750_1371.jpg

750_1372.jpg

Abigail. This kid is a hoot. I had fun joking around with her all evening.
750_1376.jpg

750_1378.jpg

My Rachel... a bit of a sweet tooth...
750_1380.jpg
750_1381.jpg

Hannah, Abigail's big sister
750_1383.jpg

750_1384.jpg

750_1387.jpg

750_1389.jpg

Chip Looney, a local custom bike builder, music shop owner, and pastor (and me and Rachel)
750_1398.jpg

750_1402.jpg

Sarah and me tearing up the dance floor :-P
750_1406.jpg

Lilly likes having her picture taken
750_1413.jpg

Chip and Annaleise (his oldest daughter of three)
750_1417.jpg

Rachel
750_1433.jpg

After the "formal" pictures were done with a photographer (sister of one of the Dads), the kids got to do funny pics. Here's Abigail again.
750_1439.jpg

Sarah and a friend whose name I have no clue how to spell or pronounce :shrug:
750_1441.jpg

750_1443.jpg

A few dad's got in on the dressing up
750_1447.jpg

:tab That's all. It was fun doing pics because most of the girls love having their pictures taken. A few were a little shy at first, but once they saw the other girls having their pictures taken, they warmed up to me. It was a real challenge. I was constantly fighting the exposure because I wanted a fast enough shutter speed to keep the images blur free, but I also wanted some decent depth of field and I was often real close to the subjects when shooting, so that was tough. If I tried to shoot around 1/125 f/5.6 or so, then the ISO quickly started breaking 10000. In retrospect, I think I should have taken the SB-700 flash instead of just using the pop up on the body. That would have let me keep a relatively fast shutter and smaller aperture, darkening the background instead of worrying about using a shallow DOF to blue it, while still lighting up the close subjects. It just gets heavy hauling around the camera, big lens and full flash.

:tab the lady doing the "official" photos had a cool setup on her tripod. It mounted the flash on a bracket high (a foot or so) above the body. Then, there was a piece on the bracket that held the camera and allowed it to rotate back and forth between portrait and landscape modes without the flash moving. This worked with the camera on the tripod and while she was walking around shooting. She does mostly wedding photography and said it comes is REALLY handy!

Does your D750 have scene settings? One of them on my camera is for fluorescent lighting and I'm curious as to how the settings work in real life.

Great shots, beautiful young ladies. My fav is the next to last one.

Great shots and memories forever. Thanks for sharing. Brought smiles to my face.

The pics look good to me. I was going to ask if you were bouncing the flash at all, but then you answered that when you said you left the SB-700 at home. You did really good with what you had, IMO.

My mother told me that the only photos that you look at over and over, are the ones with a loved one in them. Great photos, you can show your grandchildren someday.

The pics look good to me. I was going to ask if you were bouncing the flash at all, but then you answered that when you said you left the SB-700 at home. You did really good with what you had, IMO.

Built in flash with white film canister over it as a diffuser.

Does your D750 have scene settings? One of them on my camera is for fluorescent lighting and I'm curious as to how the settings work in real life.

On my camera, it is not a scene setting. It is a white balance setting. I had mine on auto WB, which usually does a pretty good job.

I remember taking my daughter to a 50s-style sock hop when she was in the 5th grade (wow, has it really been 25 years?). IT was one of the funnest things we ever did without Mom present, and made some great memories. Great pictures, by the way, Scott.

Nothing beats a day with the kids ! Great job Dad !
I hope I won't need a cane by the time my daughter's dance comes.

Nothing beats a day with the kids ! Great job Dad !
I hope I won't need a cane by the time my daughter's dance comes.

I'm 49 now and they are 11 and 7. Even though we really didn't do much dancing, my right hip was hurting by the end of the evening. The fathers vs daughters hula hoop contest probably didn't help :doh: I think I'll stick to working on making memories with them by taking them on rides with me ;-)

750_1408.jpg

:tab So it seems that Beth will be a published photographer before me :clap: This shot should be in the Tuesday edition of the Huntsville Times. Apparently, they decided to do a short blurb on our Father/Daughter Dance. The funny thing is that the last time I wore a tie was at a Father/Daughter banquet at our church about five years ago. Prior to that... :ponder:

Last edited:
Nice set, and the pic that Beth took tells a nice story by itself and it definitely publish worthy, well done.

Made it on page two of today's paper. So Beth's officially a published photographer :-P

Back