• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Favorite small town parks to take a break in.

kenray

Reaction score
Just got back in from a short ride to Hempstead. Stopped at the small day use only city park. Picnic tables, covered area, rest rooms, ball field, ect. No one there but me. Very clean and well maintained. Just wondering if any of you have a favorite small park you enjoy stopping at for a short rest. Stay cool it's still warm out there. ken in katy.

Okay I'll play. There is a little rest stop on park road 4 between Burnet and Marble Falls with good views nice place to rest and chug water for a few. Llano city park is nice also especially for a cheap spot to camp for the night.

Every once in a while I'll ride over to Greenwood, TX & get a burger at the Greenwood Country Store. Rather than eat in the store, I prefer to get my burger "to go" & walk over to the little park across the street, eat my burger & watch the world go by.

In downtown Goliad there is a trail head that is a boardwalk which takes you through the woods and over some nice creeks draining into the San Antonio river before entering Goliad state park about 3/4 mile south. The trail then turns paved and continues all the way to Col. Fannins tomb which is a good 5 mile one way walk. Fall or spring you may pass 5 people.

I haven't gone that way on a bike yet, but there's a nice little park in Sanderson we would stop at on the way to Big Bend and have ourselves a little picnic.
It has a playground where the kids could burn off a little energy, and a covered pavilion we could eat under.
Sanderson just seems like a neat little town for where it is.

I stopped in Sanderson for fuel on my way to BB years ago. It did seem quaint.

Haven't done it in a long time, but I like to pack a lunch and go climb Enchanted Rock to eat it.
On a day like today that rock is like a giant plancha, and no that does not give me ideas on dining options.
:lol2:

We seek out and eat at city parks all the time.

Here are a few:

The roadside park outside the LBJ ranch on 90 Edit: That be 290
Samuel farm in Mesquite on 80 (Dallas city park.. in Mesquite??)
Rest area on I45 near Huntsville

White Rock lake in Dallas
Cherry Creek in Canton
Crandall 1 block from the baseball field

It's too hard to choose but it's a good bet a small town will have a city park near the water tower or near the baseball fields.

Samuel Park:
5317949176_91201dc91f_n.jpg

Last edited:
I was hoping this thread would continue. Maybe if I put some food with it...

Chicago dogs at a park near Lake Tawakoni
32608824536_5459f57466_n.jpg

Brats and salad along I20 (full disclosure - bikes were still on the trailer while headed for Palo Duro):
16744621409_c7c92fd656_n.jpg

And sometimes when traveling light in remote areas like Big Bend State Park it's just beans:

16930856445_bf7ea84758_n.jpg

that Chicago dog looks pretty legit. beans are never a good idea for me when I'm in the saddle. :storm:

Here is a list of good options if your passing through San Saba Texas--
Mill Pond Park (pavillion, play ground, public swimming)
Risien Park (San Saba river access)
LCRA Park (walking trail)
All are on US 190 on the east end of town in the same general area. All have public restrooms.

Last edited:
Meridian Park and Lions Park in Meridian on the West edge of town (where they have the big BBQ cook off every year)

Kinda hard to find... Bosque River Park in Hico. Thru town on Elm Street and it's down by the old feed/grain silos along the river. A little photo-op bridge near there too.

Last edited:
Glen Rose on another Elm Street (144 as you leave town to the South. As soon as you cross the river) and West of Big Rocks Park.
Paluxy Heritage Park. Has some nice historic blgs on site. And covered picnic tables.

Grapevine... Airfield Park on the North side of DFW Airport. North Airfield Drive and Texan Trail (2 block South of 121/114. Overlook park for watching the airliners land/takeoff.

Westworth Village (Ft Worth) on Pumphrey Dr just North of Westworth Blvd (183) and near the entrance to the Joint Reserve Airbase.
Airfield Falls Conservation Park is the former site of the Carswell AFB Base Commanders residence. The picnic gazebo is built on the old house foundation.
At the back of the park is a rare natural waterfall in Texas.

Legion Park on 50 in Gunnison Colo.
Paonia Park in Paonia Colo.
Elk Park on 133 in Redstone Colo. South of Carbondale on 133

Memorial Park in Benbrook. Next to the Pecan Valley golf course.
Take Winscott Rd South off 377. Stay on Winscott, don't turn down to the Lake Benbrook spillway area. Turn South on Memorial Park Rd and take it all the way to the back to the round-about parking lot. Tables under the trees along the creek. Back in the trees there's a cool little foot bridge that crosses the creek to the golf course. Peaceful and scenic little hike.

Memorial Park in Sugar Land, on south University, by the Brazos River is a gem. Full facilities, lots of parking, shade, walking path and just beautiful lakes.
I sometimes stop them at end of my rides just to chill out before going home.

I was hoping this thread would continue. Maybe if I put some food with it...
I don't know of any myself, but if you are doing brats in Crandall, I'd like an invite, that's almost in my back yard!

I don't know of any myself, but if you are doing brats in Crandall, I'd like an invite, that's almost in my back yard!
Sure will Jasen! Don't you work during the week?

Nice to know Hico has a nice park. We are always passing through Hico near lunch time.

Another great park is on the San Marcos River off 183 at the golf course in south Luling. They have picnic benches overlooking the river.

1566653878699.jpeg

Navarro Mills Corps of Engineers Park. Technically, you have to pay to get in. But we've asked politely at the gate, and they've let a group of 3 of us in, to look around and take a quick break.

Sure will Jasen! Don't you work during the week?

Nice to know Hico has a nice park. We are always passing through Hico near lunch time.

Another great park is on the San Marcos River off 183 at the golf course in south Luling. They have picnic benches overlooking the river.

View attachment 241863

Zelder Mill Park. I grew up in Luling and remember when it was all over grown and falling apart.

Back