• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Favorite small town parks to take a break in.

If you happen to be passing through San Antonio, I would think Olmos Park would be an ideal stop. Also Breckenridge Park, of course, but that puts you more downtown. I don't remember all the mission grounds, but I do know that if you're out on the south side of San Antonio, Mission Espada has a nice little park.

Everyone always thinks of Cranfills Gap for eatin at Horny Toad.....but theres also a nice place for a rest stop too

Wade Lee City Park...across 22 from the Tommys Convenience Store

Plenty of big shady trees...tables & benches....& a nicely paved walking trail

Sit n listen as the hogs go by

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Heward Park, Holbrook, AZ
It's just off I-40 so you can exit, snooze, and then get right back on. The only downside could be that train tracks run behind the park, so freights could disturb your nap. When doing an in-state SaddleSore I've found it's a good place to stop.

sleeping.jpeg

Heward Park - Edited.png

"Nuther one kinda hard to get to.... The Overlook at Fossil Rim Wildlife Park. Glen Rose area.

On the back side of the park there's a rear entrance to the Park/Gift Shop/Overlook Café on County Rd 2009. Picnic tables and lots of shade between the gift shop and the café. And there's a deck at the café that "overlooks" the park. Yes you can see the animals. And yes, it's free.

Granbury... Coming into town from the North on 51 just before you get to the courthouse square. Shanley Park is on the West side of the road. There are a couple of small parking places right on 51 that are perfect for a bike. Shaded, and tables and chairs are right there too.

On 22 halfway between Cranfills Gap and Hamilton at FM 224 and FM 304 and 22, there's a small roadside park with covered tables. The rancher straight across the intersection likes to hang his Coyote kills on the fence.

Hard to find in Hamilton and there's no real parking, but nobody has ever scolded me for riding my bike out to the picnic table. Even the LEO's just wave.
Grab a Storm's burger or a chicken salad sandwich from Central Perk Bistro on 281 and then ride north on 281 from town. Turn West on McCaleb Lane and then left (South) on Alamo to Hamilton City Park. There's some tables under the shade trees and no traffic noise! Great for an Iron Butt type catnap.

Does the Gillespie County rest area on 290 in front of the LBJ historic park between Johnson City and Fredericksburg count?
It's pretty nice.

Bet you've ridden by this one a hundred times, but did you stop? Flat rock park just off 27 SE of Kerrville. Take 27 or 534 SE out of Kerrville... just before you cross the Guadalupe River on 534, turn South on Riverside Dr.
It's a linear park along the river.
Stop this time! It's got tables and shade.

I remember stopping along the road in Lake City Colorado and taking a nap on a nice grassy bank under a big tree on the main drag . Heard a car stop so I opened my eye a bit and the city cop was setting there with a big grin on his face . I know what he was thinking , “ **** , I wish I could do that “.

Does the Gillespie County rest area on 290 in front of the LBJ historic park between Johnson City and Fredericksburg count?
It's pretty nice.

Thought I already posted that one in #7 but I missed the hwy. You are correct, it's on 290 and not 90 as I mentioned. And it's a great park w restrooms, picnic benches and a nice crick!

Last edited:
Back