• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fayetteville DS Ride Feb 16

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning a ride this Saturday Feb 16 to try out new tires on my DR650 and there was interest on an older thread so here we go! I have a route that many others have used and is fun. Its a about 160 miles with one good water crossing and a good eating place about halfway. Big bike friendly plus gas along the way. 60% dirt roads nothing real challenging. We will go counter clockwise, start and end at Bucee's in Waller TX.
Picture and gpx file below. I use Garmin Montana

Let me know if your interested. We can meet at Bucee's in Waller TX around 8am, kickstands up at 9am and be done around 3pm....ish!
Good rider etiquette will be observed (meaning: no rider left behind, wait for the rider behind you to see the next turn, DO NOT ride above your skill!!!! and so on)

GPX viewer

Update: 2/14/19
Riders, I had time today to pre-run the route and roads are excellent! There are road graders out performing maintenance and some loose gravel but all is good! The water crossing at Cummings Creek is in good shape and water level is manageable. Looks like its going to be a good day to ride because the forecast is predicting mid 70's for temps and little chance of rain.

On a personal note, I need to be in The Woodlands by 4-4:30pm and I may need to break off to head that way. If we get back to Waller around 3pm I will be in good shape but if we are running later I will need to leave the group. Sorry!

Saturday Morning:
Lets meet at the west side of Bucee's near the Ethonal free gas pumps. I will be either on my Suzuki DR650 or KTM 1090 wearing white helmet.

Attachments

• Fayetteville DS Loop v3.2.gpx
    103.7 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Added to the TWT Calendar for you.

All, I updated the first post of this thread with details. Please note that I need to be in The Woodlands by 4-4:30p Saturday and may need to break off if we are running late. If you feel like this may be an issue please let me know.

Looks like my wife and I will make it and will also have to stop a little early. Looking forward to the ride.

No on the 70's. We were riding in the 40's....:(. Lynne was bragging on her electrics keeping her warm until her engine light came on and the battery died...The stator on her little XT250 just couldn't keep up. Push started it and came home. She was good and cold by the time we arrived without using the electrics. Oh well....

What all electrics was Lynne using? I regularly use a Hotwired heated vest on my XT250 and don't have trouble. I've been wondering how much more it could handle.

With a lipo battery, would a voltage meter may indicate insufficient stator output before it's too late?

Ignore here if this is too far off topic.

Last edited:
No on the 70's. We were riding in the 40's....:(. Lynne was bragging on her electrics keeping her warm until her engine light came on and the battery died...The stator on her little XT250 just couldn't keep up. Push started it and came home. She was good and cold by the time we arrived without using the electrics. Oh well....
Sorry she had trouble, KBTX said it would be 57, don't think we got out of the 40's either, maybe 50.

I thought it was supposed to get up to 74 today. Boy was I wrong [emoji15]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the ride today! The weather forecasters definitely got today wrong!
We’ll have to get another route together and ride again (maybe when it’s warmer).....lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the way back we stopped for a nature break and I noticed oil all over the back tire, looks like the counter shaft seal.
Then Harold noticed my back tire was flat. He had a CO2 air up tool and we filled it up. Thanks Harold for that.
I headed home and stopped at a station and I had a nail in the tire. Left it in and aired it up to 40 psi and made it home.
I run tubes with lots of Ride ON in them.
Lots of work to do till the next ride. Who says KTMs are maintenance free, (no one does) LOL
I had a great time, and it was good seeing everyone. Thanks for organizing and leading Joe.
I am thawing our now.

I had a great time, even with the funky weather. Danny glad you made it back with out problems. Look forward to the next one.

Yes thanks Joe for leading us around. Some good roads that we did. Lunch wad good to. See you guys next time.

On the way back we stopped for a nature break and I noticed oil all over the back tire, looks like the counter shaft seal.
Then Harold noticed my back tire was flat. He had a CO2 air up tool and we filled it up. Thanks Harold for that.
I headed home and stopped at a station and I had a nail in the tire. Left it in and aired it up to 40 psi and made it home.
Lots of work to do till the next ride. Who says KTMs are maintenance free, (no one does) LOL
I had a great time, and it was good seeing everyone. Thanks for organizing and leading Joe.
I am thawing our now.
Counter shaft leak bad enough to get oil on tire?? Never seen one leak that bad, hope you had enough oil in it to get home, lol!

Lynne and I had a good time despite our early exit. Hopefully we can join again when the weather is a little nicer.

🛵 🛵

On the bright side my counter shaft seal leak became an automatic chain oiler on the way home and no extra charge for the oil on the tire.
Just took it apart and there is a metal sleeve spacer in there with an oil seal on the outside and an O ring on the inside of it.
I will replace all 3 items but it looks like the inside O ring is the problem.
Oil level never went below the sight glass.
Pic below with the bolt and washer removed showing the oil spraying out.

Attachments

• 20190217_105540.jpg
    20190217_105540.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 201
I am thawing our now.
I had tire trouble too (in the hill country), but like you, also had a happy ending. 👍

Let's just say your ktm is a well oiled machine😉

Last edited:
Back