• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Feedback on shoot and collection

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Hi,
I recently did a family shoot. I'd like your feedback on
- photos, as a collection
- any feedback on individual shots
- culling level. I always struggle and probably don't cut enough shots. This was a 1.5 hr shoot that generated 260 shots. I culled it to these 27. :giveup:
- any other insights/feedback appreciated.

http://www.i7photography.com/201311esfamily

Thanks in advance...

For me, 9 and 25 are the strongest....

I think a valid point is made on the joint cropping. I'm certainly not good enough to do it with any creativity that looks right, so I try to stick with full body or obvious chest up and everything's included.

My gut tells me at 90min and 260 shots you may have 'winged it'? Not sure how you approached the shoot, so that's just a guess. Did you have a select five or six shots you pre-planned and executed and then time allowing shoot some random? Or was the entire shoot random?

I try to approach a shoot with a half-dozen ideas/concepts and focus on those first. Get them out of the way and then see what might happen.

thanks for the feedback
I'll revisit the crops. Seems like I'm always fighting distractions in the background.
There were about 6 pre-planned concepts, then the rest was spur of the moment.

found this guide.
ku-xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, if the client is pleased, then put it in the win column! We're just the peanut gallery....

4, 13,17, 25 would be my favorites.

I think the inside with just the baby was a bit cluttered on the background.

I like the group as a whole and feel like the set works. 27 is a good amount, and it's actually less when you consider you did multiple edits on a few. I think your amount is just fine. I wrote down some comments as I went along.

-3 and 5 look a bit overexposed to me. Not sure if you tried to pull them back or not. I think 5 may be easier to save than 3.
-9 and 25 are my favorites. There's nothing not to like about those two.
-Looking through as a whole, I don't feel you have bad crops here. I actaully think you did a good job on your compositions. The only one I feel like is "tight" is 11.
-I'm not a fan of the sepia tone on 6, but that's just because I'm not a fan of it in general, nothing to do with that photo.
-13 is a good family portrait. I love the expressions and even the child is looking at the camera. The only downside is it doesn't also show the "bump," but it's still a good photo. I would spot remove the couple of white dots/spots on mom's shirt.
-17 is my second favorite as a family. It does show the bump, and everyone is looking, but the expressions in 13 are better to me.
-I like the colors/tones in all of your color images. I constantly struggle with white balance and skin tones. All of yours are very pleasing to my eye.

Overall, a nice set of solid images. One thing that would make them stand out even better to me is having the child looking at the camera in more of the shots. I always try to get their attention towards the camera. I think it makes for a stronger photo. If what I'm doing isn't working and mom and dad aren't in the shot, they are generally looking at them. So I have them get right over my shoulder so their attention is at the camera.

Thanks for the review, klb. I know it took some time and I appreciate you taking the time.

Believe me, I had all the things going to get the kid's attention. What he liked most is if I acted like a was sneezing really loud. That cracked him up. :shrug:

Thanks for the review, klb. I know it took some time and I appreciate you taking the time.

Believe me, I had all the things going to get the kid's attention. What he liked most is if I acted like a was sneezing really loud. That cracked him up. :shrug:

Welcome!

I believe you! Hey, whatever works. :mrgreen: I act like a fool, but really cares any way.

Back