• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FG Meshtex pants--initial impression

brd

Reaction score
Well, I got a pair of FirstGear MeshTex pants in yesterday. I'm able to wear shorts at work, but I commute on the bike every day, so I wanted to find some mesh pants to go over them. My JR ballistic pants work okay until the weather gets above 80, then they're just too hot.

My first thought was to get some of the JR Phoenix pants. I have a Phoenix jacket, which flows air very well. But the Phoenix pants, unlike the Ballistic, are not available in a Tall size. I tried a pair of them on, and the legs just were not long enough.

My next thought was the FirstGear pants. They are available in a Tall size, and I have a FG Kilimanjaro jacket that fits me very well. So I ordered a pair, sight unseen. They came in yesterday and I wore them home from work (over a pair of boxers).

First observation, the legs only unzip up to the back of the calf. I'd hoped to be able to pull them on over shoes/boots, but no chance of that. Well, for commuting duty, I guess that won't matter, since I change my boots for sneakers when I get to work.

The fit, however was excellent. Long enough to go under or over my boots and they didn't pull out on the ride home. The padding was not hard amor, but there's a good amount in the knees and a little in the hips.

I left work at 8:30pm, so it was getting dark out, but the temperature was 95F and the roads were still really hot. I rode the 25 miles home, and my impression is that they are not very cool.

The first problem is that there is no mesh below the knees, except on the inside of the leg. Well, this doesn't get much airflow up against the fairing. The upper leg has some mesh, but it is horizontal, and not scooping in much air. I could tell I was getting some airflow though, but not as much as I'd hoped. A lot of it may have to do with the fairing on the VFR. If I moved my legs out into the wind a little, I felt more air coming in, and if I stood up off the seat a little, I felt a great deal of air.

However, in a normal riding position, they felt hotter than jeans, simply because jeans are cotton and absorb moisture, whereas these got kinda stuck to you.

But that was just my initial impression. I'll ride with them a few more days and see if I change my mind. Plus, I'm not sure if it's possible to be cool in these kinda conditions, maybe I can only hope to be less hot.

I have the phoenix pants and they aren't too bad. I also sometimes wear draggin jeans and the phoenix with shorts is actually cooler. The denim on those jeans is pretty heavy and traps the heat. The armor is a joke, I replaced it with GP armor, same for my Reactor jacket. It looks funny when you take the jacket off, the sweat is in the pattern of the armor. Easy to tell what wasn't breathing.
I am 6'4" and the pants aren't that short. I bought the larger size xxxl pants and added extra velcro to snug the waist up properly. Still fits good with boots. If you had tennis shoes, it wouldn't reach all the way down in riding posture.

I have both the Phoenix pants and jacket and the Tourmaster Cortech GX Air pants and jacket.

The Phoenix jacket is slightly cooler, the GX jacket has a mesh liner and also is a finer mesh than the Phoenix so doesn't move as much air.

The GX Air seems like it might hold up better in a crash as it has thick cordura on the shoulders and elbows and just seems like a better put together garment to me. It also fits me better. So on long rides or days under 90 or so I wear it. I wear the Phoenix around town and on the really hot days.

The pants for both are similar, but the GX pants fit me MUCH better and once again seem to be higher quality than the JR stuff.

Unfortunately the GX mesh pants act like ball bearings when I sit on my Sargent "GripTex" (inappropriately named in this case) covered seat. It's nice to be able to move around, but I slide around so much in these pants it is uncomfortable, especially under hard braking :shock:

So I have been wearing Draggin Jeans (over padded bike shorts) lately, even though they are quite a bit warmer than the mesh pants. I need to try the JR pants and make sure they act the same way with the seat.

inigo,

Can I ask what your inseam is? I'm 6'5" with a 38" inseam for jeans. I've been searching for months for some sort of protective motorcycle pants, but no one seemed to carry anything longer than a 34" inseam. :angryfir: I've come to the conclusion that mere mortals are jealous of us Titans and want to see our ***es ground off by pavement. I'm to the point of buying several yards of Cordura and finding a tailor who can sew me up a pair of pants! Any suggestions?

p.s. Sorry about your father. He was a good man and a wonderful sword-maker! :-D

38", now that is a long pair of pants. Man your best best would be custom leathers, maybe get them perf'd so you can wear a few more months around here. My height is actually the other way around, my inseam is only like 33", I have the long torso. Have to wear tall shirts or it just doesn't fit right. That has actually been my problem with the non 3/4 length jackets. They all seem to ride up so much that I think my side and front wouldn't be protected in a crash. If I wear the jeans with it I know it is sitting way up (at least with overpants you can zip them to the pants). Good luck I would think your only bet would be custom.

Shovelman, I have a 36" inseam, 34" waist, and the 34 Tall FG pants fit me very well. I'd like them to be a little longer, but they tuck into my boots and stay there.

If you have a larger waist size, the FG pants in a tall Size might work for you.

bluedogok,

Thanks for the tip on Aerostitch pants. They could do it, but the $350 they want is steep. I guess I'd better start saving my pennys. I still wonder how much a tailor would charge...

A 38" inseam and goof-long arms are cool until I need clothes. What's scarey is my torso is fairly short. In fact, my wife is only 5' tall, but when we sit next to each other we are the same height!

-Shovelman

As an alternative to Aerostich, you may want to look into:

http://www.motoport.com/

They can custom make an outfit for you, and they offer a mesh setup (Airmesh Kevlar), which should be better suited to the Texas climate than a Stich.

I have not tried their products myself but am considering giving them a shot one of these days when I have the money to spend.

Back