• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Film Cameras?

Reaction score
I didn't immediately see a thread for this, I'd love to see other film-specific pictures, bikes or other. Picked up my dad's old Pentax k1000 and some Kodak/Fujifilm and I've been hooked, I really like analog stuff and the colors turn out really well, imo

All photos with Pentax k1000
Fujifilm 200 warmed up a little in post:
89040036.JPG

Fujifilm 200, no post:

89040029.JPG

89040025.JPG

Some kodak ektar 100, lowered red levels because the digital scans came out red-heavy for some reason:

20220416_204247.jpg

There is nothing like celluloid ... really like the pooch picture. DOF is nicely done.

I had a K1000 as well.
It's a great tool to learn the interactions between focal length, ISO, aperture, shutter speed. Fully manual; no tricks no gimmicks, decent light meter in the view finder. I still have it but it's so old I think some of the internal seals around the mirror are crumbling apart.

Just picked up some specialty batteries for light meter in the Konica I used in high school and will get a roll of film in it soon. I have a roll in the camera I learned on, a Leica M3, but the light meter doesn't work. So I have to guesstimate the exposure or use an app on my phone. I'm not expecting anything spectacular from that roll.

While I am not a photagrapher, I am glad to see there has been a resurgance in film photography.
"Real" photographs just seem to have more depth and feel to them, even though digital is better in many ways, seems film photos are more meaningful since it is a tangable item.
Seems more thought it put into the photo with film.

I have thousands of digital pics, and hundreds of prints, I almost never look at the digital, but like pulling out the photo album and looking at the prints.

While I am not a photagrapher, I am glad to see there has been a resurgance in film photography.
"Real" photographs just seem to have more depth and feel to them, even though digital is better in many ways, seems film photos are more meaningful since it is a tangable item.

I have thousands of digital pics, and hundreds of prints, I almost never look at the digital, but like pulling out the photo album and looking at the prints.

The way I've been thinking about it; digital pictures are what we see, film photos are what we remember. I'll never knock hipsters for buying vinyls while I'm rocking a film camera and keeping 6"x4" prints in a sketchbook somewhere

Plus, a five-year-old DSLR is getting passed by the little rectangle in my pocket these days 🤷‍♂️

^^^^This.

Film has a depth and warmth to it, almost a 'soul' of sorts. Digital does nice works but they're flat and two dimensional. I wonder why they have plug-ins for post that mimic film? Oh, that's right..... because something is missing in digital! And like Rusty, I dug out my old Nikon kits (FE2 and a slew of glass) and just need batteries. Hey - that seven year old film is still good, right? lol

Here's one of a friends truck... A 'bridge' camera (Nikon 6006/film) the last of the film bodies before digital.
R1-03870-013A.jpg

I agree on the printing and have a large, semi-pro photo printer and regularly print my images. Printed gives a whole different perspective on the image. Even shooting film, you get a digital version now. Some of the film simulations for digitally taken images are extremely good and bring back that film look. Fuji cameras have them built in, but there are aftermarket presets that work well too.

I had a K1000 back in my college journalism days. Shot and developed mostly in B&W. Really loved the artistry you could employ both in shooting and in the dark room. Wish I still had all that gear but honestly I'd probably never use it.

I agree on the printing and have a large, semi-pro photo printer and regularly print my images. Printed gives a whole different perspective on the image. Even shooting film, you get a digital version now. Some of the film simulations for digitally taken images are extremely good and bring back that film look. Fuji cameras have them built in, but there are aftermarket presets that work well too.

Yeah, I mean if we're posting it here it got digitized at some point 😊

We can always throw "old-timey" filters on digital photos, but it just feels....wrong. Plus, I don't know how digital cameras work but I would guess they don't use the embedded silver methodology of film strips so it'd never be quite there. But probably close enough to fool any naked eyes. Personally, I suck at color correction, and I love the colors I naturally get out of the film photos.

Also, couple very cool videos from SmarterEveryDay about film technology, the production process is amazing (so far, waiting on parts 2&3....)

Even scanned film posted online viewed through a monitor is not reflective light, like a print is. So, depending on the quality of the scan and the quality of the monitor you're using to view, and an amalgamation of RGB and pixel quality. Direct from film to physical print is all about the grain.

Personally, I suck at color correction, and I love the colors I naturally get out of the film photos.
Same here. When I worked at the camera shop they tried to train me on the processing machine. We hand corrected each and every photo we printed and we had some folks who were amazing at it. Technically I could operate the machine and fix any issues it had, but they gave up on teaching me color correction and told me to go man the sales desk and let them handle the processing. :D

After messing around with Fujifilm, I think I much prefer the kodak ektar100/gold200; I think the fuji captures raw colors really well and would work better for "actual" photographers, who can edit it to what they want. Kodak seems to have the warmth and colors that I love in photos, the warmer grainy look that I can't really replicate through a phone camera/editing.

edit: I also found it to have a hard time with high contrast shadows vs. the kodak. I take a lot of photos in the daylight, so kodak 100 does that better as well

Fuji400 (....I think)
96680020.JPG
96680003.JPG

Oh man. I shot a ton with a K1000 in high school journalism class, carried it along with my Konica FT-1 Motor (which we still have). The Konica lenses were amazing. The school supplied me with a Canon AE-1 with a fast motor drive and a huge lens for football photography. We used to go through a dozen rolls of T-MAX 3200 every Friday night. Funny thing, I was in journalism in school and was a photographer, but wound up later on becoming a writer.

My wife took over this stuff when we got married back in '92 and she turned into a real photographer, won awards, published, all that jazz. We had a darkroom in our bathroom in our first house. She's long since switched to digital and switched back to amateur status, but we still have that Konica, will never let it go.

I trained to be a photographer but ended up working with a different kind of light. We try not to let it shine on us too much...:trust:

image-1.jpg

I didn't immediately see a thread for this, I'd love to see other film-specific pictures, bikes or other. Picked up my dad's old Pentax k1000 and some Kodak/Fujifilm and I've been hooked, I really like analog stuff and the colors turn out really well, imo

All photos with Pentax k1000
Fujifilm 200 warmed up a little in post:
View attachment 319964

Fujifilm 200, no post:

View attachment 319965

View attachment 319967
Some kodak ektar 100, lowered red levels because the digital scans came out red-heavy for some reason:

View attachment 319966
Something to be said for old school tech. Nice!

Back