• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First Digital Photos

Mrs. C

Reaction score
First Name
Shirley
Last Name
Crabtree
Let me back up to the beginning - my neighbor gave me her old digital camera last spring, and these are two of the first pictures I took. Love that digital camera! These were taken with a Nikon CoolPix S10.

Again, looking for any feedback on improvement - composition, DOF, etc.

Butterfly_S10_TWT.jpg

Blue_Mealy_Sage_TWT_001.jpg

Closeup of a Blue Mealy Sage bloom.

#1 is kind of cool. Bugs are a tough subject to shoot, but I like the really shallow DOF you presented. That really makes the butterfly become the center of attention. A trick with butterflies such as this is to wait until their wings are up a bit more. That shows the underside of the close wing and the topside of the far away wing giving you a better view. And sometimes using the flash works well to bring out the colors.

#2 isn't talking to me much as I really don't or can't figure out the orientation. It could go V or H which is confusing to me at least. I do love whatever or however you got the bokeh in the background to look like that. It's almost if there's a screen filter used in conjunction with some declarify post processing. Now THAT part is nice.

On #1, did the bug actually cooperate by being that still, or was it shot at a higher speed.

On #2, I see what M38A1 means about the background. The blur looks like a cross-screen filter effect. Nice depth of field use. On flowers, I personally like a little more color saturation. You can get that as you shoot by reducing your exposure by about 1/3 to 1/2 stop below the camera default. Or on modern cameras, I guess you can hit that little button that says 'color saturation'.

OK, great tips on shooting butterflies! Bugs ARE hard to do - they are often not very cooperative. To answer your question, tshelfer, this guy must have been enjoying the flower, 'cause he paused just long enough for me to get the shot! Both of these photos were taken with my "hand me down" digital - the Nikon S10, and it was my first time shooting with a digital.

About that tip of waiting until the wings are up a bit - here's another photo that I shot the same day - by comparing it, I understand your suggestion.

Butterfly_Wings_S10_TWT.jpg

I see what you're talking about. After reading your tip, I went back and compared the two butterfly photos, and in this one, while the butterfly remains perched on the flower, you can see the speed of his wings in motion - sort of. I know the photo could be better, but I understand the concept. An "a-ha" moment!

Now, another "a-ha" moment - that little button that says "color saturation" - must look for that - ;-)

As for the second pic, the blooms on those flowers (some refer to them as "weeds") stick out V or H, and that was shot straight on, so the angle of the flower is as you would have seen it. May be more confusing because you can't see the entire plant.

Thanks for the tip on color saturation on flowers - I too, like bold colors. Another "example" photograph -

Blue_Mealy_Sage_TWT_002.jpg

I'm sending this because it's another photo of that Blue Mealy Sage plant, only this one was shot with the Nikon P100, using the macro. But, comparing the color in this photo with the other one, it's hard to believe it's the same plant. So, I get it - more color - reduce exposure.

Thanks very much for your tips, tricks, and suggestions! Things to work on. This will make me get the camera out.......

All 3 of your threads have some nice shots. Thanks for sharing!

Another thing that might be causing the different color temperature in your last photos is the WB setting. If you are shooting in Auto mode, you simply can not guarantee that white ballance will be set the same between two consecutive photos even.

I take it the camera has the WB setting?

I'd suggest taking the camera out of Auto mode, if possible. While intimidating, it pays off multiple-fold by having better results straight out of camera, IMO.

On the photo with a butterfly wings up - if you were in M mode, you could over-expose the photo a bit to reveal some of the detail in the insect body and wings. That part is now under-exposed to a degree, bet the surroundings (the green stuff) is properly exposed. This is again - something you can only control by either manual mode or changing of the camera metering area (to spot or some such setting), if that setting is available.

All of that being said - I can only wish that my first digital photos looked like that! :)

Thanks for all the advice! I'm so new at all of this, and I appreciate getting any and all suggestions possible.

The butterfly photos were taken with a Nikon S10, and it's pretty much a point and shoot, with a few exceptions, so I don't have the ability to change WB, speeds, etc. However, my newer camera, a Nikon P100, does, so now it's just a matter of my education! (In fact, the poor little S10 has been reassigned as the "bike camera".)

I do believe that Nikon S10 has multiple pre-sets for WB... If this is the camera, then I see the following:

Source:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikons10/

• Auto with TTL control
• 7-mode manual (Direct sunlight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, Shade, Flash and White bal. preset)

:doh:

Hey, now, looks like you know my camera better than I do!!! Checked the link, and yep, that's the one - I love this little camera. OKAY, gonna go check it out now...

Well, what do you know!!!

Again, :doh: :doh:

Oh, I also meant to say "THANKS"!!!!! :bow:

(I knew I loved this camera........)

Back