• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First impressions.... TR650 TERRA, BELL MX9 (mips) helmet, O'Neal Sierra Pro boots

thrill-billy85

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'll start with the gear....
BELL MX9 with MIPS
I bought a Bell MX9 helmet with MIPS. The MIPS system is designed to absorb rotational impact during crashes. Hopefully I'll never find out how well it works. I've always worn XL size helmets. If you've tried and like the AFX FX39 or the FLY Trekker, then the MX9 will be no different. It's more comfortable than my AFX39 was. I like the shield better too. There's a better deal around it and it does well to keep out wind. It doesn't have as many vents as the FLY or AFX. IT ALSO (and this for me, is a big one) doesn't have the euro-style chin strap that the AFX does. I loved that on my AFX. How many times have you had to take gloves back off to strap up your helmet. No need for that on the AFX. My biggest (only) complaints about the Bell MX9 is the size of the ear voids. For me, (and maybe not you), they could use a little more room aft. A quick shimmy of the helmet when donning it solves this. Minor inconvenience at best. The other is wind noise, but I'll cover that in the bike section of this review.

O'NEAL SIERRO PRO BOOTS-
HOLY COW.... The perfect dual sport boot. I've got big ol calves. These boots offer enough room. They're oiled leather and look good under a pair of jeans. The soles are what you'd expect from a dual sport boot. They're stiff enough to have some protective value, but still very easy to walk in. There are 2 ratchet style straps lower on the boot. One across the bridge of your foot, and the other just above the ankle. No top strap. It's got a big velcro flap. I like it a lot. Also, they're water-proof. I didn't test this, I'm just gonna take their word for it, for now. The biggest thing for me is that balance of protection/comfort. Usually you can't have both with a <$200 boot, but these break that mold. You don't have to walk into a place like an astronaut. They feel normal when walking, more or less, and I suspect that'll improve after a few more rides/walks. They're easy to shift in. At least easier than any mx boot on the market. For me, they're a 10/10, all things considered.

HUSQVARNA TR650 TERRA
So before I begin, I think it's important to establish a reference point, as every opinion on every bike, is relative. Right? Here's the list of the street legal dual sports I've owned OR ridden-
KTM 520 SX
DRZ 434 E with cam, FCR, exhaust.
KLX 300
XR400
KTM 525 XC
XR650L
KLR650

This bike is hands down the best on the road out of that list. The runner up would be the KLR, and while I agree that is a great bike on the road, the Terra is all of that, and more. Plus, it's fuel injected. Altitude changes with never a second thought. I've got factory sprockets on mine, and this bike hits hard off the line, and just doesn't quit. You'll touch 80mph in third gear if you wrap it out. If you shift conservatively then you'll be grabbing 4th about the time you're passing 65. Fifth happens around 70-75ish. I was lugging it at a hair over 4000rpm doing 70. With a slight tweek of the wrist, and boom, you're up to 80 within seconds with not much of a complaint. This bike is a beast. The transmission, to me, is where it shines. Anything can make power, but if it's not geared right, then that power is all for naught. Point in case, the DRZ400, and 650L. People split cases, and spend a bunch of money on new gears to get those two bikes where they should've been all along. And with the XR650L they use **** that Honda had already been making. (Second and fifth gears). The Terra hits the nail on the head. The bike is stable up to 85. I didn't go any faster. Why would I ever? It'll easily do 100 though. Power delivery is smooth, linear, and jus let abundant throughout. I have a tall SeatConcepts seat on mine. Like all SC products, it's comfortable and VERY well made. I stand 5'11, or 5'10, depending on what gas station in leaving, and have a 31" inseam. The seat height with the "tall" seat is okay. I can get a tippy toes on each side. My last bike was a 650l, so I'm okay with tall bikes. That said, if the seat was any lower, it would be cramped with my feet on the pegs. I've got rox risers and fat bars this makes for a more comfortable riding position, when sitting and especially standing. It's one of those mods like on the xr650, that everyone does, and for good reason. The exhaust has spark arrestors in each can. They come out with the removal of a snap ring. They each have two holes to (,I guess) grab with screw drivers and introduce a prying force to get them out... Which is fine, but they make a chirping sound when coming off a rev. It's super annoying. I plan on addressing this soon. Maybe after I write this.

Okay, so helmet wind noise. It's EFFING TERRIBLE. That said, it's because the Terras little windshield put the wind squarely at the base of my helmet. So, I don't think it's the helmet as much as it's the bikes current windshield, which is coming off tomorrow, for sure. Plus, it don't like the way it looks. So yeah.

So, I have not taken the bike off a paved surface. That said, I THINK it's going to be reminiscent of a KLR, but again, better in every way, off-road. The tall seat makes it seem more dirt-bike-esque.

All in all, I'm looking forward to this bike. My biggest complaint about the XR650l was it's highway handling. This bike foxes that, and what seems to be little-no off road expense (over the XRL)

Attachments

• IMG_20191028_161152.jpg
    IMG_20191028_161152.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20191028_145623.jpg
    IMG_20191028_145623.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 228
I own the MX 9 and agree that the wind noise can be a nuisance. Its easily corrected with the use of some good foam shooting earplugs purchased at Academy. Other than that, I really like it.

I had the Terra listed here on TWT for quite a while.... I owned it a little over a year but jus didnt ride it like it deserved.
A neighbor of Trail Boss' owned the Terra before me...but he ended up not gettn ta ride much either I think.

Terras & Stradas ARE out there for sale...jus not in this area.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Great review Aaron,

My exact impressions of the bike without ever riding it. I did ride Trail Boss's TE610, getting off of my KLR650 then on his TE610 and casually going thru the gears I thought it was much like a KLR but with power.

Enjoy the bike and ride safe.

This bike is hands down the best on the road out of that list. The runner up would be the KLR, and while I agree that is a great bike on the road, the Terra is all of that, and more. Plus, it's fuel injected. Altitude changes with never a second thought. I've got factory sprockets on mine, and this bike hits hard off the line, and just doesn't quit. You'll touch 80mph in third gear if you wrap it out. If you shift conservatively then you'll be grabbing 4th about the time you're passing 65. Fifth happens around 70-75ish. I was lugging it at a hair over 4000rpm doing 70. With a slight tweek of the wrist, and boom, you're up to 80 within seconds with not much of a complaint. This bike is a beast. The transmission, to me, is where it shines. Anything can make power, but if it's not geared right, then that power is all for naught. Point in case, the DRZ400, and 650L. People split cases, and spend a bunch of money on new gears to get those two bikes where they should've been all along. And with the XR650L they use **** that Honda had already been making. (Second and fifth gears). The Terra hits the nail on the head. The bike is stable up to 85. I didn't go any faster. Why would I ever? It'll easily do 100 though. Power delivery is smooth, linear, and jus let abundant throughout. I have a tall SeatConcepts seat on mine. Like all SC products, it's comfortable and VERY well made. I stand 5'11, or 5'10, depending on what gas station in leaving, and have a 31" inseam. The seat height with the "tall" seat is okay. I can get a tippy toes on each side. My last bike was a 650l, so I'm okay with tall bikes. That said, if the seat was any lower, it would be cramped with my feet on the pegs. I've got rox risers and fat bars this makes for a more comfortable riding position, when sitting and especially standing. It's one of those mods like on the xr650, that everyone does, and for good reason. The exhaust has spark arrestors in each can. They come out with the removal of a snap ring. They each have two holes to (,I guess) grab with screw drivers and introduce a prying force to get them out... Which is fine, but they make a chirping sound when coming off a rev. It's super annoying. I plan on addressing this soon. Maybe after I write this.

Okay, so helmet wind noise. It's EFFING TERRIBLE. That said, it's because the Terras little windshield put the wind squarely at the base of my helmet. So, I don't think it's the helmet as much as it's the bikes current windshield, which is coming off tomorrow, for sure. Plus, it don't like the way it looks. So yeah.

So, I have not taken the bike off a paved surface. That said, I THINK it's going to be reminiscent of a KLR, but again, better in every way, off-road. The tall seat makes it seem more dirt-bike-esque.

All in all, I'm looking forward to this bike. My biggest complaint about the XR650l was it's highway handling. This bike foxes that, and what seems to be little-no off road expense (over the XRL)

Back