• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First Multi-day multi trip around Texas ... completed!

A yearly pass for all national parks and monuments is about $80 last time I looked at the sign. I have a $10 lifetime pass and two $80 lifetime passes. They're not that cheap if you can't remember to bring it on trips.

So I made it home, and I don't hate motorcycles.
Very easy day today, Alice to Katy, with just one stop (well, 2 stops, once for fuel/bathroom break and one for the tag, both in the same area) In Cuero.
Only ~240 miles. (Google Map)
Left @ 7:45 and pulled into the garage @ 11:50.

Only stop was in Cuero for the MSG Roy Benavidez Memorial (info on him:
41 Memorial.JPG

Thanks for all the tips and support.
The advice in my other thread helped a lot, and extending it out to 6 days was very helpful. Did not feel rushed, and could do long days if I wanted to, but did not have to.
I learned a lot about my riding endurance (more than I thought) and how I need to prepare better.
I need better gear (at least a good rain suit, but hard to find a good set for a fat man like me), and need to plan routes a little better. I used google maps for basic planning, but relied completely on Garmin for routing, and while it got me to where I was going, it sometimes did it in a weird way, or bypassed something I would have wanted to go to/go see. Part of that was my last moment decision (missing out on RR 334/FM55 heading to Leakey), but some was just me knowing it would get me there. Going to South Padre it routed me weird, and even though it says it was fastest time, it was a way longer distance, and I think longer time.

I also learned I need new gloves. The ones I have are decent and should serve me well if I have an accident, but well:
Hand2.jpg
I am getting a very weird tan spot on both hands, and this is with me applying sunscreen every fuel stop. this was basically the only skin I have exposed when riding. I even remembered to wear my neck gaiter to protect my neck, so need to find some LD gloves with no exposed skin on the dorsal side.

I need to do something about my seat. Previous owner had it shaved to lower it for him, but that took away padding I need for comfort. I have some beads on it that do help some, but that pillow I was using (was a last second decision, it was in the garage to be thrown away, but I grabbed it to try it) really helped a lot. I was sad I lost it on day 4. Day 5 to South Padre I could tell my rear was a little more uncomfortable and had to readjust more.

I will say while I really enjoyed the time to myself, I was ready to come home. I missed my wife, and miss my bed. All the places I stayed were decent, but home is so much better to sleep at.
I could also tell I was starting to get fatigued, and a little dehydrated, even with me drinking at least 4 liters of water a day from my camel back plus whatever other water I drank. I only had 3 diet Dr. Peppers the entire trip, and drank 3 Poweraid Zeros.

Total mileage for this trip ended up being 2,636 miles from when I left Monday morning till I got back today.
If I add in the trip I took Thursday/Friday last week, I am at 3,440 miles in 10 days, with 2 of those being off days.
I remember when I started riding again in 2017 on a Honda Shadow 1100 that I thought putting on 2,500 miles in a year was good. Silly me.

I only have 11 stops left for the Tour of Texas ride, with one being The Lone Star Rider. Not sure if I can get him before the October meet in Kerrville. I keep watching his page, but have not seen him around me when I am off work.
For the remainder of the stops, I had initially planned on a 4 day trip to the hill country to get them in October, but now may just do a day trip to get the Shovel in Creedmore, the Motorcycle Museum in Johnson City and Alamo BMW in San Antonio.
I could do the rest in a 3 day trip and still have a whole day to ride around Kerrville.

Well I am just starting to ramble now, I think I am going to take a nap.
I have a few other pics off the camera to look at and and may post here later, and may have a few more thoughts to put down.

Congratulations on a great trip! Maybe over the next days/weeks/months you'll start to think about the next big ride, and want to go even farther. Or not. Either way, you know a lot more about what you enjoy when it comes to riding.

Glad to see the trip is going great! I’m getting ready for mine next week. Piling up the gear on the dining room table hoping I can get it to fit on the bike.

Ride safe and enjoy!
So where are you going? Tour stops or other?

Congratulations on a great trip! Maybe over the next days/weeks/months you'll start to think about the next big ride, and want to go even farther. Or not. Either way, you know a lot more about what you enjoy when it comes to riding.
Thanks.
I am really contemplating trying the Iron Butt now. I have thought about it in the past, but was not real sure, but after having done so many miles in a few days (with one day being almost 600 miles), I really want to give it a try now.

I know many here do the ride for the destination, but I found I enjoy the ride just to be riding.
The tour stops work well for me, give me a goal without having to do any thinking about where to go. Just make a list of the destinations of where you are going and then ride.
Seems there are others here that are the same, riding for the ride.
I really enjoy the alone time. I don't have to think, just focus on riding and enjoying the views.
Sometimes I listen to music, other times podcasts, sometimes scripture, other times nothing but the wind and my thoughts (not that there are many of those floating around in my head). No mystic revelations or such, but it really does clear my head. Funny too how when riding you see things that make you wonder, and say you need to look it up or ask someone about it, but then you see something else and forget about the other thing. I know there were many things I wanted to ask or look up while riding, but no idea what they are now.
Not thinking about work (I had not thought about work in the past 6 days till just now when typing this) is really nice, and I think this trip really has helped with burnout. I have not take much time off in over 2 years due to the state of the world (I work as a nurse in the ER), so this really was nice. Also have not had to shave or put a mask on my face for days. Refreshing (but I really need to shave, I look scruffy and it is itching now, but don't tell my wife, I said I am not shaving till I go to work on the 3rd of May).

Thanks.
I am really contemplating trying the Iron Butt now. I have thought about it in the past, but was not real sure, but after having done so many miles in a few days (with one day being almost 600 miles), I really want to give it a try now.

I know many here do the ride for the destination, but I found I enjoy the ride just to be riding.
The tour stops work well for me, give me a goal without having to do any thinking about where to go. Just make a list of the destinations of where you are going and then ride.
Seems there are others here that are the same, riding for the ride.
I really enjoy the alone time. I don't have to think, just focus on riding and enjoying the views.
Sometimes I listen to music, other times podcasts, sometimes scripture, other times nothing but the wind and my thoughts (not that there are many of those floating around in my head). No mystic revelations or such, but it really does clear my head. Funny too how when riding you see things that make you wonder, and say you need to look it up or ask someone about it, but then you see something else and forget about the other thing. I know there were many things I wanted to ask or look up while riding, but no idea what they are now.
Not thinking about work (I had not thought about work in the past 6 days till just now when typing this) is really nice, and I think this trip really has helped with burnout. I have not take much time off in over 2 years due to the state of the world (I work as a nurse in the ER), so this really was nice. Also have not had to shave or put a mask on my face for days. Refreshing (but I really need to shave, I look scruffy and it is itching now, but don't tell my wife, I said I am not shaving till I go to work on the 3rd of May).

It is awesome to see that you have been bitten buy the riding bug.

Last edited:
I appreciate your description of what helmet time means to you. It really can be therapeutic, even if you're not working through big problems in life. It usually requires full attention of conscious mind and body, and I often find my mind has drifted to any number of important or trivial topics. It's really fun when (sometimes, even if rarely) it turns out I've solved a problem (say, something at work) without even trying.

I am really contemplating trying the Iron Butt now.

A Saddle Sore ride ( 1000 miles in 24 hours ) is a big next step in your riding and I am sure you will be successful in it. I have done a few 1000 mile days :rider: so it can not be that hard.

Leaving Thursday morning and headed north! Into the Ozarks, then up a little more and over to the Shawnee Natl Forest in Illinois then back home through Kentucky and Alabama before turning west. I’m intending to camp the whole way, but my back will have the final say on that, Lol.
Really looking forward to the solitude. I have a Cardo unit to play music in my helmet but I may not even use it. I like the long hours of just letting my mind wander and get lost inside the helmet.

Always feels good to get done with a long trip. You reflect on all the experiences and time spent and immediately begin thinking of where to go next!

Just caught up. Great ride and thanks for sharing!

You're more than capable of pulling off a saddle sore 1000. All you have to do is start.

Back