• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Or Hwy 50 from Canon (pronounced canyon) City all the way to Salida, along the Arkansas River - the only problem with that road is you often find yourself stuck behind a train of motorhomes.
Kind of funny, this happened to me going the other way.

DSCN3025_zps2tegr5uq-L.jpg

Yea, the construction guy stepped out into the road in front of ME! I was a bit put out. Had to stand around for thirty minutes while these guys...

DSCN3027_zpsyeaz7iud-L.jpg

made a whole ton of noise dropping all manner of rocks below. It was boring and I was put out to be standing on the side of the road when that guy could have let me pass really quickly. However, sometimes things are a blessing in disguise. When they finished and I got the go ahead to continue through, the roads ahead of me were empty and devoid of all traffic. I had so much fun on that road.

Tim and I got stuck behind a caravan of vehicles when we were there a few years back also. Got warm quick with gear on.

Oh yeah. That was up on 550. I think north of Ouray. Turned out the truck camper in front of us (as identified by my picture) belonged to somebody from TWT.

Oh yeah. That was up on 550. I think north of Ouray. Turned out the truck camper in front of us (as identified by my picture) belonged to somebody from TWT.
I thought that was where that happened. Dody said that he knew the folks right in front of us. It's a small world.

Last edited:
Not yet, really just wondering what week to go so the weather chances are better.
Hard to tell looks still pretty cool in Gunnison the next 10 days. Weather is odd there sometimes. I was in a really heavy down pour in Northern New Mexico when Tim and I rode that direction. Got cold and we got drenched the whole time a logging truck seemed like it was purposely blocking Tim from passing. Then Carl and I got caught in a good one on CO 114 so bad we turned around and it stopped as we got back to the end of the road of course. Then on way back to Gunnison after breaking my foot we had to get the rain gear out on the ride back on 149. Just make sure you have reliable gear that does not leak like I found out the hard way as my jacket had lost some of its weather proofing qualities.

I would recommend going with a small group of folks if you have not been before. At least one other rider. That way if something happens like with me, someone can be there to help the bike out of the creek.:rofl:No seriously if you travel with someone that has been there before they will know routes and back roads that are much more fun than regular streets/roads. Also they will know the good places to eat,camp, or motel.

Not yet, really just wondering what week to go so the weather chances are better.
A friend got to her place in Telluride two days ago; put the patio furniture out; and then that night...
161878528_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

Although I think they now have one lane open, be careful if you're going up 145 north of Dolores. This happened a couple of days ago.
705678848_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

That's the smaller of the two boulders that gouged an 8 foot deep trench across both lanes.

Lots more details here:
https://durangoherald.com/articles/278479#slide=7

Sorry if I missed it, but are you going to be on a dual sport or adv bike? You are already going past Silverton (has a could of gooood bars and grills) and Lake City. This is where the famous Alpine Loop is located. It starts in Lake City, goes over Red Mountain Pass to the ghost town of Animas Forks. You can side track a bit and hit Silverton for lunch, come back to Animas, and then head over Engineer's Pass back to Lake City.

If you have not done a ride like this, it could be life changing...no kidding.

The only passes I'd consider for the VFR 1200X would be Owl Creek Pass (East of Ridgway) and Keebler Pass (NW of Crested Butte). They are smooth and easy. Any car could drive them. The passes around Silverton and Lake City would be a serious challenge on a VFR 1200X and would likely result in damage to the bike, especially Imogene, Black Bear, and Engineer.

My apologies brother. Your routes are amazing. If you get a chance, check out the Handelbars bar and grill in Silverton, especially if you can stay there late. There is a rooftop bar about a block down where you can chill and watch the night approach on the mountains, and watch the old steam train come in.

This is where the famous Alpine Loop is located. It starts in Lake City, goes over Red Mountain Pass to the ghost town of Animas Forks. You can side track a bit and hit Silverton for lunch, come back to Animas, and then head over Engineer's Pass back to Lake City.
Maybe not this summer. 100+ feet of snow in Animas Forks.

Overnight in Gunnison. Telluride traffic in town when we were there was a crawl thru town picture Mopac in Austin at rush hour. Tourists like fire ants walking everywhere and cross walks all over so getting around or thru town a good work out on your clutch hand.
This in spades last summer. A big part of our group got stuck behind jeeps one morning coming down Black Bear so a couple of us waited for them in Telluride. One of the locals walked by where we were sitting and I asked him if there was something special about to happen in town (Telluride has some festival or big event pretty much every weekend - maybe it would explain the outrageous number of folks all over the place). He said it'd been like that since April...no reason at all. Folks were just showing up like never before. And yeah...unless you're doing the bear or Imogene, there's only one way in and the same way out of town. If you want to get the experience anyway, park up at Mountain Village and ride the gondola down into town. It's a hoot unless someone has issues with heights...and it and parking are free. :thumb:

This is coming over Loveland Pass last week. Looks like the snow if finally easing up however the traffic will be increasing now that vacation season is starting.

Attachments

• 0519191435.jpg
    0519191435.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 237
This in spades last summer. A big part of our group got stuck behind jeeps one morning coming down Black Bear so a couple of us waited for them in Telluride. One of the locals walked by where we were sitting and I asked him if there was something special about to happen in town (Telluride has some festival or big event pretty much every weekend - maybe it would explain the outrageous number of folks all over the place). He said it'd been like that since April...no reason at all. Folks were just showing up like never before. And yeah...unless you're doing the bear or Imogene, there's only one way in and the same way out of town. If you want to get the experience anyway, park up at Mountain Village and ride the gondola down into town. It's a hoot unless someone has issues with heights...and it and parking are free. :thumb:

My impression, when KP & I drove through Telluride, is that the whole place had basically turned into a 10-acre walking Starbucks.

This is coming over Loveland Pass last week. Looks like the snow if finally easing up however the traffic will be increasing now that vacation season is starting.

There's a lot of late snow in CO this year. My kids in Centennial have had 4 or 5 snows since May 1, and that's at Denver altitude. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some of the higher passes catching snow showers through mid-June this year. This is much more like winters used to be, 2 or 3 decades ago. June snows usually aren't enough to faze a car in the least, but they can still increase your pucker factor if you're on a bike.

Don't forget to mention that like RG knows the speed limit into town is way slow. I think it was around 30 and 15 or so in town. And like he said one way in and one way out.

Back