• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FJ-09??? Yamaha's possible 3-cylinder Touring

Care to give a short review on the bike? I'm thinking about swapping my super Tenere for one.

The handling is very neutral, and when pushed hard at higher speeds through a long sweeping corner, it's very stable. In tighter slower speed corners, it's lighter weight allows it to change directions quickly as well. The suspension is still pretty stiff, which equals a harsh ride on less than perfect pavement. I'm hoping some of that harshness goes away as it get's a few more miles on it. If not, then I'll be going with an aftermarket shock and cartridges.

I'm not overly impressed with the wind screen, although I don't have any buffeting problems from it. It's not tall enough to be helpful for touring duty and it's too tall for sport duty. I'm sure the aftermarket will solve this as well.

The brakes are as good as any I've ever had and the ABS is non-intrusive. The traction control is fun to play with and seems to work well. While it's on, it flashes a light any time it engages, and when it's off, see the video demonstration (not me) a few post back. The fuel injection is spot on in standard mode, while A mode is abrupt, which is to be expected.

Then there's that engine, which is what drew me to the bike to start with. After riding one of the first FZ09's I knew someday I would own a Yamaha 850 triple in some form. So far, I've only been able to do around 500 miles, so it's still not broke in. I'm looking forward to bringing it to a boil once it's broke in.

The FJ 09 compared to the FZ 09 I originally rode is quite an improvement. Even though the suspension isn't anywhere near perfect on the FJ, it's a huge improvement over the FZ. The same can be said about the fuel injection between the two.

Owning an FZ1 for 30 K miles left me as a Yamaha street bike fan. I know the FJ won't have the same top end rush that the FZ1 had, but it definitely has a stronger bottom end pull, which is what I was looking for.

It seems some people are refering to the FJ as an adventure bike, which I don't believe will be a good fit for it, since there's next to no ground clearance and it has very short suspension travel. So I don't think the FJ would be a good replacement for a Tenere as an adventure bike. But if you're looking for a really good street bike with very good handling, great brakes, and an incredibly fun engine, th FJ will be a good fit...

DSC03167.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Rsquared, how stiff IS the suspension ? Obnoxious, fatiguing ? Maybe it just needs some miles but firm is better than wallowing IMO.

Thanks Rsquared, how stiff IS the suspension ? Obnoxious, fatiguing ? Maybe it just needs some miles but firm is better than wallowing IMO.

I had Race Tech valves and an Ohlins 46PRCS on my FZ1, all of my dirt bikes suspensions have been revalved and sprung for my weight, so I'm some what spoiled.

Compared with the FZ 09 I rode, the FJ is very stiff, but then again the FZ was very soft and vague feeling. The stiffness of the FJ is good for feed-back, and the front forks are better than I was expecting. Most of the harshness is felt through the rear shock with any kind of road anomoly. It's not obnoxius or fatiguing, it's more anoying than anything, on poor quality roads. Hopefully, it will get better with some miles.

If it's not better by 2K miles, there'll be a Penske or Ohlins in my future, and at that point I'd probably opt for a set of Penske or Traxxion cartridges for the forks to compliment a good rear shock...

Last edited:
Good info Roger, thanks. Some coming from old stock suspenders may have one comment, you and I are in the upgraded suspension camp. Enjoy the FJ.

Re: FJ-09 Is on the Yamaha website, $10,400 and release date in December

Thanks for the info.

I would not expect it to do gravel roads as well as the Tenere, I just need a bike that will carry the wife in some comfort occasionally. The Tenere just lacks the fun factor that I'm looking for, but is an exceptional bike for a lot of reasons.

Two more specific questions, if you don't mind:

What do you think about the LED headlights?

If you have ridden with a passenger, please comment on comfort of both ride and passenger, space, etc.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

I would not expect it to do gravel roads as well as the Tenere, I just need a bike that will carry the wife in some comfort occasionally. The Tenere just lacks the fun factor that I'm looking for, but is an exceptional bike for a lot of reasons.

Two more specific questions, if you don't mind:

What do you think about the LED headlights?

If you have ridden with a passenger, please comment on comfort of both ride and passenger, space, etc.

Thanks!

The headlights are better than most stock head lights I've owned, but still not as good as I hoped they would be based on the observastion of just how bright they apear when looking at them. I've ridden the FJ at night and the lights do a pretty good job, but if I planned on riding regularly after dark, I would add some auxillary's.

I can't comment on two-up riding, other than there looks to be decent room for a passenger.

As for the "fun factor" you seek, I don't believe you'd be disappointed...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to go check one out, see if I can get a test ride. From the videos in YouTube, it looks like a blast.

I had the fever to buy last week. I had looked at the 800 and 1200 Triumphs. I decided to compare the new Versys, the Tenere and the FJ-09. I really liked the FJ, it was the right size and had really good styling. The engine was magic too. In the end, I walked away with a Super T. It just had an unbreakable feel and when I got on it, it felt right.
Nothing on the FJ was wrong. The ST was just more.

The Super T is a rock solid platform, if it feels right it's all good. I went FJ-09 wanting that engine and light weight this time around. It's a fantastic bike so far, need some more miles to really burn the new off and shake it out. This torque curve is going to be addicting.

Well being a big guy, I needed a rock solid bike, plus my son has a F700GS and I wanted to be able to follow him around.
Enjoy your bike. It is a sweet machine and I had to walk away and think it over to make a choice.

Saw one of these on the road out here in Katy the other day.
Sharp looking bike!

Will be curious to hear your thoughts vis à vis the FJR. Have you checked whether the bags interchange?

The FJR bags will slip on the FJ09 once you purchase the mount kit Chris, lids for the FJ are smaller to better match that bikes dimensions. If one wanted to save the $950 they could use FJR bags and have that big hippo butt look on the FJ.

The bike reminds me of my Versys' geometry and cornering traits with the instant electric torque of the FJR. The v is 450#, the FJ09 is 458#, I trimmed the FJR down to 608#. I dig the lighter stuff now, probably gained 20# since we chased wabbit in Arkansas. :rider:

Winter sucks, greener times.

http://kleeshirts.com/ar2006/

Yessir, good times there! :mrgreen: Need to get back sometime.

The bike reminds me of my Versys' geometry and cornering traits with the instant electric torque of the FJR. The v is 450#, the FJ09 is 458#, I trimmed the FJR down to 608#.

This sounds about perfect to me. The Bandit's got me spoiled for torque, but there's no mistaking the weight.

So, out ruining errands with the wife and kids yesterday and we stopped by and sat on the fj. Wifey approves of seating comfort for her, so I went back and rode it later in the day. What a machine! I will have to optimize the suspension and probably put money in eventually, but what a package. Fun, comfy, and the wife approves. Can't lose. Going to hand over money next weekend!

Double check that passenger peg placement and make sure she is comfy, especially if you plan on long days. We found the arrangement a little tight as she had to move her boots back when I rode on the balls of my feet for serious cornering. No prob on easy rides, the aftermarket has options.
Congrats on the purchase.

I logged 150 more miles today, break in almost complete. That little engine is amazing, the bike handles better now that things have mellowed and 3rd gear WFO sessions prompt childlike giggles.

I did 200 miles yesterday, and have started opening the throttle a bit further as it's close to being broke in now. I noticed the traction control light coming on a lot more yesterday. I sure do like this bike... The suspension has become less harsh on hacked-out sections, but I'll still probably upgrade the suspension. It may be premature, but I think this maybe a keeper...

It may be premature, but I think this maybe a keeper...

I am at 1100 miles and 80% sure it's a keeper, at full boil now. Any bike that comes on and out of a corner this strong needs better suspension. Some roads are just miserable, while it has gotten a tad softer there is still that missing compliance. It's not dangerous, most will adjust to the ride. The OEM tires are rocks. Compression damping intense. I'm spoiled. Hello Traxxion.

Grab a full twist to redline in second or third once broken in, that crossplane sound is addictive.

Do you guys that have put some miles on them have a problem with the little heel guard on the right side? On my test ride it seemed like something I would have to remedy. It got in the way when I had my boot back on the peg.

Do you guys that have put some miles on them have a problem with the little heel guard on the right side? On my test ride it seemed like something I would have to remedy. It got in the way when I had my boot back on the peg.

I haven't noticed it at all. Maybe it's because my Gaerne rding boots have almost no heal.

It's a non issue for me in touring boots. My Sidi track boots have additional heel buffers but I have not ridden this bike in those yet.

I am at 1100 miles and 80% sure it's a keeper, at full boil now. Any bike that comes on and out of a corner this strong needs better suspension. Some roads are just miserable, while it has gotten a tad softer there is still that missing compliance. It's not dangerous, most will adjust to the ride. The OEM tires are rocks. Compression damping intense. I'm spoiled. Hello Traxxion.

Grab a full twist to redline in second or third once broken in, that crossplane sound is addictive.

I did 250 miles today and brought it to a full-boil a few time at the end of the ride. What an incredibly fun motorcycle...

Back