• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FJ-09??? Yamaha's possible 3-cylinder Touring

Right ? I need to knock out these Dallas projects and get to Arkansas ASAP. Our roads suck.

Re: FJ-09 Is on the Yamaha website, $10,400 and release date in December

I went for my first ride since getting it home. Made it up into MS for some tight twisty roads. Very pleased with the bike so far.

IMG_20150328_131407_087_zpsjhoiji9w.jpg

IMG_20150328_130300_075_zpszh1dxif4.jpg

IMG_20150328_135050_715_zpsvwqk6gz7.jpg

Its a great bike. I just got back Friday from a trip to the Smokey Mountains.(2500 miles in six days) My only complaint is the stock seat. :giveup: Other than that ...fun fun fun :rider:
IMG_3194_zps5rcya8ms.jpg

Last edited:
(Long time lurker here)
I got my FJ last month after "out growing" my triumph speed triple. The speed triple was great but too focused, too aggressive, too uncomfortable, too unhealthy. I love three cylinders and wanted something similar to the triumph too get away for some weekend get always.
So far it's everything I've wanted, fast when I want but not insane. It's much easier to ride sensibly (switching into B mode makes it quite sedate). It's comfortable enough for longish trips which for me that's no more than 300/400 miles.
It does need a bigger windscreen though and I wish there was more space to put a GPS. Oh, and the aftermarket is still playing catch up.
I'd love to meet up with some folks for some weekend rides, or just a social at a back roads BBQ place.

I have the FZ-09 and can't say enough good things about the Yamha 3-cylinder.
Maybe the best motor to come out of Japan in awhile.
I am also a big fan of the hideaway underslung exhaust,Versys carries one also.
The aftermarket guys will soon catch up.My Sargent seat was a big improvement.Topcase and centerstand and It was good to go.I do miss the xtra gallon the FJ has though.
I'm outa Wimberley...lets hook up sometime.:rider:

(Long time lurker here)
I got my FJ last month after "out growing" my triumph speed triple. The speed triple was great but too focused, too aggressive, too uncomfortable, too unhealthy. I love three cylinders and wanted something similar to the triumph too get away for some weekend get always.
So far it's everything I've wanted, fast when I want but not insane. It's much easier to ride sensibly (switching into B mode makes it quite sedate). It's comfortable enough for longish trips which for me that's no more than 300/400 miles.
It does need a bigger windscreen though and I wish there was more space to put a GPS. Oh, and the aftermarket is still playing catch up.
I'd love to meet up with some folks for some weekend rides, or just a social at a back roads BBQ place.

Good quick review. I agree with all of it. The bike is a nice all around ride and I will be getting a touring windshield at some point. btw...welcome!

I have the FZ-09 and can't say enough good things about the Yamha 3-cylinder.
Maybe the best motor to come out of Japan in awhile.
I am also a big fan of the hideaway underslung exhaust,Versys carries one also.
The aftermarket guys will soon catch up.My Sargent seat was a big improvement.Topcase and centerstand and It was good to go.I do miss the xtra gallon the FJ has though.
I'm outa Wimberley...lets hook up sometime.:rider:

Which topcase did you get? I added the OEM luggage rack so I guess it should be an easy mount. Also, I take it you are happy with the sargent seat? They should be coming out with one for the Fj before to much longer.

I purchased the Alu-Rack from Twisted Throttle,it's made by SW-Motech from Germany and very well made.Using a Coocase top box that is an easy on-off.
A world of difference when you have a centerstand and top box that is now level when on centerstand...it turns into my office desk and kitchen table when on the road and I can stash my helmet with the 50L model.

I purchased the Alu-Rack from Twisted Throttle,it's made by SW-Motech from Germany and very well made.Using a Coocase top box that is an easy on-off.
A world of difference when you have a centerstand and top box that is now level when on centerstand...it turns into my office desk and kitchen table when on the road and I can stash my helmet with the 50L model.

Thanks, I will check it out. I could use a dining table on the road. :lol2: :eat:

Any new ride reports or reviews for this bike?
Im thinking about getting either the FZ09 with a trunk or FJ09 with side cases. Probably making my purchase this week

Any new ride reports or reviews for this bike?
Im thinking about getting either the FZ09 with a trunk or FJ09 with side cases. Probably making my purchase this week

I've rode the FZ 09, and that was the main reason I bought the FJ 09 when they came out. Quite a bit of difference between the two, but they both have that wonderful engine in common...

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94752

If you want a super-motard on steroids get the super-light FZ-09 @414 lbs wet...add 50 lbs and and sport-touring is your thing then its the FJ-09.
As mentioned, in both you get maybe one of the best multi Jap engines
To come around in decades if ever.

Great pic from the overlook Squidbilly, yea the stock seat is kinds firm. I bet those roads were a blast, let us know if you had other bike issues.
How are the stock tires wearing ?
I went Cal-Sci short on the windscreen and like it. Less is more in my case, no more head wobble and performance in highway traffic is much better.
Going to Arkansas for a full shake down and assume my love for this engine will only grow, suspension wants and needs will be defined after this ride.

Great pic from the overlook Squidbilly, yea the stock seat is kinds firm. I bet those roads were a blast, let us know if you had other bike issues.
How are the stock tires wearing ?
I went Cal-Sci short on the windscreen and like it. Less is more in my case, no more head wobble and performance in highway traffic is much better.
Going to Arkansas for a full shake down and assume my love for this engine will only grow, suspension wants and needs will be defined after this ride.

That was the overlook at the end of the Dragon. Yes, the roads were a blast and I can't wait to go back. I think the FJ feels like a supermoto even at 480 pounds(or whatever it is). The stock tires are wearing just fine so far, and I seem to getting along ok with the stock windscreen (actually adjusting it lower). I don't have any other issues. I may $pring for the hard bags at some point. Other than the hard seat, you can ride this bike all day long and be comfortable. The engine does have a slight rhythmic vibration/drone to it above 83 mph in the 5000 rpm range. I guess that's normal and had never even noticed it until slabbing down the interstate all day.

Last edited:

The shift shaft recall was done today. Easy job. Yamaha is paying 1.1 hours. Pull clutch cover, clutch, oil pump driven gear and chain, then remove and replace the shaft.

For other owners: you will need to have your dealer call Yamaha and ask for the kit, the availability date is to deter dealers from ordering large quantities of kits due to limited availability.

Did you do your own ? I just got my letter, while I was loading for Arkansas. I'm riding it, performs and shifts just fine.
The process looks simple. My selling dealer totally screwed up my FJR with simple lack of detail and then scratched it everywhere. I would not let them work on a wheelbarrow now.

Thanks for the feedback sqidbilly !

No but I hung out while it was done. Used to work at the dealer..

I was thinking of heading to AR this weekend, but the rain is scaring me off.

I went, I saw, I left. It just doesn't tick the boxes for me. By necessity it is a price point bike and looks the part, plus the ergos seem strange. It seems too upright to have your feet that far back.

That thing could hav the engine of all time
... but if I dont feel comfortable on it.... whats the point

Back