• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FJ-09??? Yamaha's possible 3-cylinder Touring

Re: FJ-09 Is on the Yamaha website, $10,400 and release date in December

Y'all are right, when I sat, the pegs felt slightly awkward. When I rode it, not so much. I did a 300 mile day a few Sundays ago and had no soreness other than my butt. I'm 6'1" and I had the seat in the lower position. It's not as roomy as my super Tenere or other big bikes, but I got a small, light, fun bike for a reason!!

It's not as roomy as my super Tenere or other big bikes

Yep. If I were in the market for a Yamaha, I'd look at the Super Tenere. I wasn't there to shop for bikes, but this was the first one I had seen in the flesh and couldn't resist throwing a leg over it. :trust:

Y'all are right, when I sat, the pegs felt slightly awkward. When I rode it, not so much. I did a 300 mile day a few Sundays ago and had no soreness other than my butt. I'm 6'1" and I had the seat in the lower position. It's not as roomy as my super Tenere or other big bikes, but I got a small, light, fun bike for a reason!!

I agree, well said. It all depends on what you want out of the bike.

First and foremost I want a motor that excites and it's gotta be light
FJ has it in spades.Ergonomics can be manipulated.

First and foremost I want a motor that excites and it's gotta be light
FJ has it in spades.Ergonomics can be manipulated.
A motor that excites. Dang right. That's a huge part of why I traded in my S10.

I have a "Motor Company" part on my bike now, kind of.

IMG_20150418_205957_410_zpsfaawcnvq.jpg

It's a chopped up road glide screen. I'll see how it does tomorrow.

I got to test ride the 9 and a FJR at Houston Yamaha. I loved the FJ-09 except for the throttle be a little jerky in lower rpm! I was really hoping to like the FJR and it was a sweet ride except with my bad### knee I was more comfortable on the FJ-09, I think the bike is a little taller?? Anyway I'll see what the future holds, could end up with a 1190.

IMG_20150419_114810_591_zpskgsgnpvr.jpg

Everyone loves a tree tunnel.

I have a "Motor Company" part on my bike now, kind of.

IMG_20150418_205957_410_zpsfaawcnvq.jpg

It's a chopped up road glide screen. I'll see how it does tomorrow.

That's sexy mattc, try the Cal-Sci short screen. The marketing pic is not good but I'll post a better one when I clean the bugs off. It works very well, no helmet bobble and a little wider at the bottom.

I was looking at the Calsci but I didn't want to drop that much money on it without knowing it would work for sure for me. All I did with this one was try to trace the stock shield cropped at the height that I wanted.

It looks like the same height, and thrifty. I'm 6' 1 and happy with wind hitting me mid-helmet.

I started a FJ-09 review after the Arkansas trip and 2800 happy miles of ownership but it sounded giddy fanboy and went long.

I dig this bike, the instant torque and comfy ergos are perfect for tearing up twisty deserted roads with fast friends. Grab a little throttle and squirt out of corners in any gear. Most enjoyable. :rider:

Yes please. I mocked up FJR bags on the FJ but could not get a feel for the wideness. My bags are blue and the bike is red, pictures when you can.

That has to be expensive! Do they mount just like on the FJR or do you have to add racks of some sort?

They are supposed to mount just like the FJ09 bags, using the FJ lower mounts(according to folks on the FJ09 forum)with no mods. The inner 2/3's of the bags are the same. Just the lids are different making the FJR bags wider and larger. Ye$, they were pricey :giveup:. My dealer matched online prices so that helped.

The wife and I had a date night on the fj last night. Was expecting her to dislike the bike after a few miles. Did about 60 miles with a couple stops for dinner and dessert. She said she likes it much better than the s10 just because it is more sporty and fun feeling. She did comment on the suspension feeling stiffer. I don't think it would be great for a multi day trip for us but would work if I bought the hard luggage.

I forgot to update. My hard luggage should be on the bike now. Except when I went to pick it up I found out the mounting brackets were on backorder until May 21st and the left bag until June 26th! I decided since I can't have the instant gratification I would cancel my order keep using my soft luggage, and save myself 800 and some bucks.

Checked it out for the first time a few days ago at Wild West here in Katy.

Really like the looks and feel of it. I am 6' with long torso and 31" inseam and the fit was great for me. The foot pegs felt low enough that my knees would definitely approve. Reach out to the wide-ish handlebar was natural and confidence-inspiring.

I'm already a big fan of triple engines, based on their use in the Triumphs, and going by the praises heaped on this engine by others I know it will be tremendous.

Just now looking to get back into riding after a fairly long absence and this bike is on my short list, along with the Honda VFR 800 and 1200.

Mine is sitting too much since acquiring some new to me Austrian hardware... If anyone is considering buying, PM me first, I'll save you some money. I'll probably put up a real for sale ad in a month...

Is there anyone near Austin that would be willing to let me take their FJ for a spin?

Just go buy mattc's and ride all you want. A dealer will let you test ride if qualified.

4300 miles on mine, love it more every time I throw a leg over.

In rode the FJ and although it screamed, it's just too tall for me. Sucks being a short guy... sometimes. The FZ fits me better.

Last edited:
I've been told the FJR side cases will fit the FJ. Does anyone know if that's accurate?
If so, the FJR cases will hold a full face helmet and they can be picked up pretty cheap on the FJR forum from guys who are parting out their bikes.
(I apologize if that's already been covered.)

Back