• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FJR1300 Recall [Ground connector]

cdc

Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Diaz
Received a letter from Yamaha today advising of a recall on bikes from 2006-2009 for a ground joint connector of the wire harness that could overheat / become deformed...

This applies to all models, has anyone else received this notice?

Will be checking with the local dealer . . .

I've not received a letter yet; perhaps they are mailed in alphabetical order!

The recall notice was posted on the fjrforum several weeks ago by a dealer, and has been widely discussed in this thread: linky. The root problem was identified and has been well understood by that community for a couple of years now. There are several aftermarket plug-n-play solutions available, as well as instructions on how to remedy the problem yourself.

I did check out my bike last time the tank was lifted, and there was no sign of a problem. Not really looking to make work, I left well enough alone, and have not experienced the problem.

groundspider.jpg

<<<<<

Pesky spiders

Now to take it to a dealership (that I don't trust) and let it sit for who knows how long.

Now to take it to a dealership (that I don't trust) and let it sit for who knows how long.[/QUOTE]

On recalls, I usually check with my dealer and see how many bikes they have coming in to fix and schedule mine at the center or back of the pack. This way the mechanic gets a little practice before he starts on mine. Of course it helps to be friends with the owner and mechanic.

Steve
08 FJR AE
11 Stryker
11 Wee
07 KLR

got mine yesterday, its acted up a couple days ago i lost power for about second, i wonder if this is related? called dealer said they don't have parts and will call me when they are ready....:zen:

got mine yesterday, its acted up a couple days ago i lost power for about second, i wonder if this is related? called dealer said they don't have parts and will call me when they are ready....:zen:

Loosing power may be a sign of poor ground...

I checked with the local dealer, they are ordering a pig tail to fix the problem, but if the wire harness is damaged, they will have to order that separately as they do not stock it...

If you're having power loss problems, one of your spiders may already be in a bad way. This would mean they would want to replace the entire harness instead of just applying the pigtail. As cdc pointed out, the dealerships won't stock the harness and will have to order it; and they will not give your bike back until it is fixed.

I have Brodie's harness on mine, which is essentially a much more robust and extensive version of the Yamaha "fix". I would just skip the recall, but I have to take it in for the ECU recall, so they will flag it and replace it then anyway. I will be asking them to simply unplug Brodie's harness from S4 and apply Yamaha's fix and leave the rest of my harness alone.

-Rick

Just got mine in the mail yesterday. I will check with parts availability before taking it in...

There is also 2 other older recalls, at least on my 2007. The ignition switch and the tail plate if you have a Yamaha trunk on it. I had ignition switch problems last October on a trip to NC.

Another note, even though I bought mine through a Yamaha dealer used, the name on the Yamaha system was the previous owner.

There is also 2 other older recalls, at least on my 2007. The ignition switch and the tail plate if you have a Yamaha trunk on it. I had ignition switch problems last October on a trip to NC.

Another note, even though I bought mine through a Yamaha dealer used, the name on the Yamaha system was the previous owner.

You would expect a dealer selling a used bike would check for recalls...
Tchuck, mind sharing where you bought it?

Talking with Janet about her Brodie harness and reading on the FJR forum, the preferred solution is either the Brodie or RoadRunner replacement grounding harness. However, there is sticky thing about a safety recall and it must be officially handled. Folks on the forum are recommending getting the recall done with the original equipment and then putting the replacement back on.

I left my FJR at Stadium Yamaha this morning and will see if they can use the kit or if a new harness is needed. I plan to order a Brodie harness and put it on after the recall is done.

Talking with Janet about her Brodie harness and reading on the FJR forum, the preferred solution is either the Brodie or RoadRunner replacement grounding harness. However, there is sticky thing about a safety recall and it must be officially handled. Folks on the forum are recommending getting the recall done with the original equipment and then putting the replacement back on.

I left my FJR at Stadium Yamaha this morning and will see if they can use the kit or if a new harness is needed. I plan to order a Brodie harness and put it on after the recall is done.

So your dealer has the pig tail?
It that is all you need, you should get it back right away. My concern is that if they need to replace the harness, they have to order it...

I have an appointment next week.

I bought the FJR from Davis Service Center in Montrose CO. They advertise they are the only dealership with all 4 major Japanese brands. Its a large dealership in a small town with friendly people in service and sales. I had a good experience there while on a 8 day trip in CO. They removed my Garmin from my trade-in bike, mounted and wired it, adjusted the handlebars and grips, did a bunch of final checks against a checklist. I borrowed some tools to tighten a turn signal on my friend's ride. I was surprised to find out at Houston Motorsports that the origninal owner was still listed. I don't know how Yamaha updates their owner database, probably the business manager's responsibility. I bought the WR from Houston Motorsports and had a good experience buying it used also. Houston Motorsports also did the warranty work on the FJR another good experience.

So your dealer has the pig tail?
It that is all you need, you should get it back right away. My concern is that if they need to replace the harness, they have to order it...

Yes, I called and they said they had 8 kits. Same story on the harness.

I opted to have them change the oil and filter. Too durn hot to do it myself. :shrug:

As of Saturday, we had performed 9 of the ground connector recalls on a wide range of FJR's with a variety of electical add-on farkles. So far, none have needed the harnesses.

We have about 20 of the kits in stock, with about an hour and a half turn around with appointment.

As to the question posed above about the registration of a resold Yamaha, we are supposed to go on Yamaha's dealer website and transfer the ownership records when a bike changes hands. Obviously, not all dealers do this.

HTH

As of Saturday, we had performed 9 of the ground connector recalls on a wide range of FJR's with a variety of electical add-on farkles. So far, none have needed the harnesses.We have about 20 of the kits in stock, with about an hour and a half turn around with appointment.

As to the question posed above about the registration of a resold Yamaha, we are supposed to go on Yamaha's dealer website and transfer the ownership records when a bike changes hands. Obviously, not all dealers do this.

HTH

That is encouraging...

No major problrms with my 07 so far , got the letter last week ....I was going to build a ground harness to bring all the high current devices back to ground and battery -,about 1 volt drop between battery - and headlight ground post ....What is the dead end wire with the lug that comes up in front of the battery ? I'm too lazy to chase it out ;-) I'll have mine done after I get out of the hospital after having my valves redone...

got my FJR back today - they installed the kit.

Also found that I have an ECU replacement coming up as soon as parts come in.

I think I will still plan to install a Brodie harness once they are available again.

Left my bike at the dealer Friday afternoon and got it back today at noon.
The 'simple fix' takes one hour, there were at least three other FJR for the recall there today.

Last edited:
Got the recall on my 2009 about two weeks ago. I had already installed a Brodie harness three months ago,and didnt find any problem with my spiders .I will have the recall done later. So they can check it off their list. I'm hoping I don't have to pull the Brodie harness off to get the recall done. Ride safe.

Back