• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Flashing Strobe Blinking Brake Lights

Are modulating headlights legal in Texas

I have had a modulating city light bulb on mine for about a year. No problems with the Law yet. Just enough flash to get attention but not obtrusive.
Randy

Modulating headlights are legal in all states, flashing headlights are illegal in all states!! Its a fine difference, but a modulated bulb never completely turns off it just varies from approx 25% intensity to 100%. I used one for a while and many people moved out of my way thinking i was some kind of emergency vehicle (felt a little guilty about that, but it confirmed that people really see a modulating headlight!!), I later fitted LED bulbs and you need a different modulator for LED bulbs compared to quartz halogen so I removed the modulator and have never gone back. They definitely work!!

Gary

The modulating brake lights are a bit unnerving on a group ride, it seems to mimic panic braking. I, personally, am not a fan.

Technically illegal, but I know a few guys who have them.

Not challenging you, but why do you assert they are technically illegal? simply because they are not DOT approved or do you interpret the flashing function doesn't meet some part of the vehicle equipment code?

Also, it would seem to me two bulbs would not be synched in flashing so there could be a wig-wag effect. That would be illegal as the code does not allow alternating flashing lights except on emergency vehicles and school buses.

I use led flashers in addition to a dot brake light you must have a dot brake and running light on the back of your bike and anything else that you want to add is up to you unless specifically prohibited .

Not challenging you, but why do you assert they are technically illegal? simply because they are not DOT approved or do you interpret the flashing function doesn't meet some part of the vehicle equipment code?

Also, it would seem to me two bulbs would not be synched in flashing so there could be a wig-wag effect. That would be illegal as the code does not allow alternating flashing lights except on emergency vehicles and school buses.

I think it is 547.305 of Texas code. I first heard of it at the BMW club. It's like the four headlight rule, illegal, but rarely enforced. One might need to go through the Texas register to see exactly how it is applied.

Back