• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Flats are a bummer

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Curious if you guys/gals run any kind of slime/ride on in your tubed tires and if it works. I had a flat on my GS800 Thursday and had forgot my tool bag I usually carry. My riding partner had nothing either, so he went home to get trailer and I sat. Luckily wasn't much more than 1 1/2 hour round trip, could have been worse. I usually carry my stuff, but even then changing a big bike tire in cold weather on the side of the road by myself is iffy I'll admit. It's a battle at home with more proper tools and clean work place. I know I have to deal with it but any suggestions??

Last edited:
48991654_10218687899128089_4694345434292813824_o.jpg

Ride on in my GSA. Fortunately I’ve never had to test it but I like the insurance. It doesn’t rust the rim and washes off like mud when you change tires. To me, it doesn’t seem to effect the balance either.

I run slime in most of the vehicles that I own. We ran it in my dirtbikes as a kid, so now bbn I run it in the xrl. I'm interested in this ride on stuff yall mention.

Rule #62.
Don't take yourself so serious.

I run slime in most of the vehicles that I own. We ran it in my dirtbikes as a kid, so now bbn I run it in the xrl. I'm interested in this ride on stuff yall mention.

Rule #62.
Don't take yourself so serious.
Just ordered, so when I change tubes it'll be added and will see. Rocky Mountain carries it if want to read reviews. Even if it's not perfect worth the try.

Ride on in my GSA. Fortunately I’ve never had to test it but I like the insurance. It doesn’t rust the rim and washes off like mud when you change tires. To me, it doesn’t seem to effect the balance either.
It effects the balance but in a good way. It is a continous balancer media that adjusts as you ride. Same principle as the ceramic beads some use. I haven't balanced a single bike tire since starting to use Ride-On ten years ago. Even the occassional triple digit speeds with knobbies and nary a head shake or wiggle.

Sealant properties might work for small thorns, staples, etc. It also will help seal a screw or nail if left in a tubeless tire. But for big stuff plan on plugging, patching or replacing so you're still carrying tools, tube and pump.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

It effects the balance but in a good way. It is a continous balancer media that adjusts as you ride. Same principle as the ceramic beads some use. I haven't balanced a single bike tire since starting to use Ride-On ten years ago. Even the occassional triple digit speeds with knobbies and nary a head shake or wiggle.

Sealant properties might work for small thorns, staples, etc. It also will help seal a screw or nail if left in a tubeless tire. But for big stuff plan on plugging, patching or replacing so you're still carrying tools, tube and pump.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
This is my thoughts also. I balance wheel assembly once without tire then add ride-on. I’ve never been able to verify any sealing properties on tubed tire. I do know that slime can make it difficult to get a patch to stick.

Got around to changing tube Monday, found a puncture of half an inch. Guessing sharp point of a planted rock or maybe a roque piece of metal somehow. Whatever it was didn't stay in tire.

I'm running a big block tire, wondering if there is a difference in brands pertaining to their toughness to withstand a puncture flat. Hoping maybe there's a brand that has a tougher core.

I'm running a big block tire, wondering if there is a difference in brands pertaining to their toughness to withstand a puncture flat. Hoping maybe there's a brand that has a tougher core.
I'm sure there is different ply rating between brands

I hate Slime. It makes a HUGE mess, especially if the tube has a cut versus a puncture. I've had both with Slime in a tube. It's just not worth dealing with the mess. Never again. For tubeless, I just carry plugs. If a plug, or three, can't fix it, then the tire probably should not be ridden on anyway.

I've never used Ride-On. Some folks swear by it and say it is different than Slime. I guess someday I'll have to try it to see what I've been missing.

I'm trying Ride-ON, hopefully won't need it, hehe. The day I got this flat, myself and Phil both had forgotten our bag of goodies. That said, as hard as it is for me to change a tire on the 800 in perfect conditions, odds are that is a last resort on the road. I'd probably whether call a rollback. I had a puncture this time, figure it was from a pointed rock that was stuck in the ground good. It just missed a knob, the sad fact is, this can happen anytime obviously. Hence I was wondering about a tire with thicker carcass and that maybe could have survived this. For now this is stealing my joy, not too excited to go out alone anymore.

I'm trying Ride-ON, hopefully won't need it, hehe. The day I got this flat, myself and Phil both had forgotten our bag of goodies. That said, as hard as it is for me to change a tire on the 800 in perfect conditions, odds are that is a last resort on the road. I'd probably whether call a rollback. I had a puncture this time, figure it was from a pointed rock that was stuck in the ground good. It just missed a knob, the sad fact is, this can happen anytime obviously. Hence I was wondering about a tire with thicker carcass and that maybe could have survived this. For now this is stealing my joy, not too excited to go out alone anymore.

I go out alone all the time (when I actually get to go at all). Of course, that is usually on my GS, so I would just plug and go barring catastrophic damage to the tire. But, even when I get to go out on the 530, which is pretty much always alone, I just take my tools and deal with it if it happens. I can pull the punctured tube and replace it pretty quick. I had to do it over at Drifters in Richards one day. All the Harley guys were standing around drinking beers and watching me. Ouroboros happened to be there so he came over to help. The lady working the bar felt sorry for me and gave me a free Gatorade. They even had a regular compressor in a shed that they let me use. I was back in the road pretty quick. The old tube had failed massively. I don't know what got it, but it had a tear in it that was around 8" long even though the tire itself just had a small cut. I did check the inside of the tire before installing the new tube. I saw another rider fail to do that and our group was stopping repeatedly to deal with flats on his bike because there was a second nail stuck in the tire that he failed to find. It kept popping the new tubes.

I usually carry a spare front/rear tube. I am not a fan of the club that thinks a front tube will work in the rear if needed. I have seen that go bad far too many times. I do carry a few patches, but only use them if I have to keep the old tube as a backup to the replacement tube before I can source another new tube. I also carry my tire tools, a few CO2 canisters, and an electric SLIME pump. It all fits easily in my side bags with room to spare. I just leave those on the bike all the time.

How is that for half of a box cutter blade?

Had a flat on way to work last Friday and thought "crap, where is my plug kit so I can have wife bring it to me?" But figured plugging a slit isn't in my future with 3-4 strings across.
Luckily BMW roadside had it towed and Lyfted me to work and both tires were replaced next day (rear on insurance and front on me....not sure how front was so much more bald than the rear which still had 7/32 after 12k miles, to next day: rear was replaced same day, just me wanting front too wasn't communicated from parts to service.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to just carry a spare tube, a few patches and a couple 8" tire tools. Once rode almost all the way back from Big Bend to Dallas with a flat front tire, found as long as I was going more than about 35mph the tire stayed up ok just from centrifugal force. Just had to manage the stops. Of course the bike had rim locks like any good off road bike does. In fact it was the bike and same trip that's in my profile pic. A front tube will fit in a rear tire in a pinch.

Yeah it was, btw that bag on my front fender in those pics has the HD tube, tire irons and patches in it.. And a little 6" tire pump was in the rear bag with my tools. I didn't put the new tube in on the way home because the tire had too many mesquite needles in it and I was too lazy to pick em all out one by one till after I got home. I still have that triumph banana rain suit too.. Amazing how many mesquite needles I picked up just stopping by an old ghost town on the way home.

Yes, they are not fun.

I had some Ride-on in the tire, did not help.
Now I admit I did have the ATV formula in it, as well as being Darkside.
The ATV one is supposed to seal bigger holes than the motorcycle formula, but even with the screw in it, it leaked out the air.

I now have a flat repair kit in my saddle bag.
It was a hassle to get it home (was 10 miles away when it went flat).

Back