• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

For Sale--2002 Jeep Liberty Limited PROJECT VEHICLE

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
I am exploring here before I open up the floodgates of Craigslist to see if anyone might have an interest in buying our 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited. It would be a project vehicle.

Original owner. 190000-ish miles
Engine runs
Brand new Wally World battery w/3 yr full replacement warranty
Tires in good shape
AC blows cold
Front drivers seat needs recovers but there is a nylon seat cover on it. (Leather rot).

The problem is it needs either a transmission overhaul or a used/rebuilt transmission installed per 3 mechanics. The factory transmission crapped out. Very common problem with that vintage Liberty at that mileage.

Financially we cannot afford to put any more money into it. So it is time to sell it. Would make a great project car for a kids first vehicle. A used transmission is about $900 or so. A rebuilt one is about $1500 or so.

Looking to sell for $ REASONABLE OFFER.

If you have any interest let me know and I can send photos. Going on Craigslist July 3rd. Figured I would give the TWTEX group first shot just in case there might be some interest here.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Took some photos this morning. If anyone is interested please let me know.

Thanks.

IMG_20200630_103723-S.jpg

IMG_20200630_103736-S.jpg

IMG_20200630_103744-S.jpg

IMG_20200630_103750-S.jpg

IMG_20200630_103814~2-S.jpg

IMG_20200630_103823~2-S.jpg

IMG_20200630_103832-S.jpg

IMG_20200630_103848-S.jpg
IMG_20200630_103855~2-S.jpg

Is the tranny the CVT? My son had some kind of Jeep thing with a CVT. The CVT fluid was expensive but had to be done since the CVT would overheat then put the engine in limp mode or just shout down.

I sure miss the simplicity/durability of the Torqueflight 727.

No. It is not a CVT. Thank goodness. I hate those things with a passion.

The 2002 Liberty was Daimler's first new vehicle for their recent Chrysler purchase. The vehicle is basically bombproof and I've talked to a lot of mechanics about the engine and transmission. All of them rave about how good they are. No one can tell me what happened to the transmission, it just decided one day to stop working of it's own accord.

Yep the libertys are great little SUVs my daughter has one with about 200K on it with the V6 and automatic 2WD has the same clearcoat fading and peeling issue I see on yours but they are solid little rides

As a matter of fact it is the only vehicle I have ever been around that totaled another car without getting a dent or any damage other than a torn spare tire cover and slightly bent tire mount.

So our daughter put it in reverse instead of drive one day leaving campus and when she hit the gas shot back into a little economy Chevy hatchback and hit it hard enough it buckled both rear quarters destroyed the rear hatch and buckled the roof on the chevy. The jeep got a rip in the spare tire cover and the bracket bent and I spent 10 minutes to straighten it

the insurance company could not believe a 2004 vehicle could total a 2017 and yet have no damage to claim

Resurrecting this thread. Liberty is still sitting in the driveway waiting on a new owner.

Multiple articles today in the car press about price of used vehicles continuing to go up and people driving hundreds of miles to buy 20-25 yo vehicles.

I've tried Craigslist. Don't get me started on the crooks there.
I've tried Facebook Marketplace. No comment.

If you've got friends/family/frenemies who need/want a vehicle and are willing to spend the money this is a great vehicle.

Sticking with $1500 asking price. But I'd be willing to discuss less...reasonably less... with a forum member.

Is it driveable at all, or a brick, e.g. could you drive it around the block and/or up on a trailer, or it won't move an inch under its own power?

Back