• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

For those new riders that get frustrated and think they picked the wrong hobby...

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
This is a really good message,

He really lays out what I went through learning to ride a motorcycle. There was the initial phase of excitement, quickly followed by the, "what was I thinking...?" However, I broke down the essential skills and then just deliberately practiced them over and over until I could do them almost without thinking. This helped me get through that first phase where everything felt uncoordinated and overwhelming to the point where I wasn't spending so much of my time thinking about how to do and I could just do. Reaching that point was very rewarding and paved the way for learning future skills. Street riding came MUCH easier to me than did dirt. Unlike many riders, I did not start on dirt as a kid. My first dirt experiences came when I was in my late 30s and riding an 1150 GS :-P One of the things that often frustrated me on dirt was trying to figure out the baby steps to learn specific skills without getting hurt in the process. Falling down at 40 hurts a LOT more than at 10, and things didn't heal as fast when I got hurt. I have been fortunate to ride with some experienced and skilled riders that were patient with me and helped me learn a lot. I've also done a lot of reading and watching videos. Best of all has been the training classes I've done because they really do a good job of presenting you with those fundamental skills that you can drill on over and over.

So if you are a beginning rider, to street, dirt, or both, and you are feeling like maybe you should have tried something a bit easier than riding motorcycles, take heart. That feeling is going to occur in most anything you try to learn (except getting older and fatter...). Stick with it. Break it down. Focus on the essentials. Be patient. It will come and it will be worth it :rider:

Yes, I call that "chunking" a problem... also "beginners mind"

@Tourmeister, I haven’t watched the video yet, but thank you for your comments about your learning experience. As a new rider (I’ve been out six times in the neighborhood, + the MSF course) I’ve never thought, “What have I done?”, but I’ve realized I need to move at a slower pace than I initially thought to get the basics down. During one particularly frustrating practice run I finally stopped myself and said, “Dude, you’re riding a motorcycle. Any day on a motorcycle is a good day. Enjoy learning.” After that my attitude was better, and practice was smoother. Your comments reminded/confirmed that attitude of just enjoying the process of learning and being patient. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finding a skilled experienced rider to ride with can be a major blessing!! And, I am not talking about Mad Skilz!! :lol2:

The best thing I read was Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code, in particular his section on survival instincts and how they were ALL wrong and what to do instead. That has saved me on numerous occasions.

going to occur in most anything you try to learn (except getting older and fatter...)
I never needed any training in that....just a natural I guess!

One of the things I noticed is how often I can get more out of re-learning the basics in a new setting.
Doing a basics or advanced course over with a different trainer or different location/setting has taught me a bunch of subtlety in those skills that I didn't get the first time.
Getting insight from other advanced riders has also altered the way I looked at some practice techniques too.
I don't want to ever stop learning and improving, it has saved my life several times.

A test for my first license, while in Japan in the 60’s, the tester said “ride around the block”, and I did, only stalled the bike about six times, he never gave me a time limit. So I had a license.
That said, here is one thing I do every time I get on my bike. Pull in the clutch, and pull on the brake lever. Someone tell me why I do this?

A test for my first license, while in Japan in the 60’s, the tester said “ride around the block”, and I did, only stalled the bike about six times, he never gave me a time limit. So I had a license.
That said, here is one thing I do every time I get on my bike. Pull in the clutch, and pull on the brake lever. Someone tell me why I do this?

That is what you are supposed to do, I do it.

Stationary systems testing....

Back