• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fork oil

Done every day by thousands. Very common. Just one of many ways to adjust suspension performance.

I would suggest you try More oil of the recommended viscosity 1st.

Why are you asking this question? What end result are you looking for? Suspension mods are very complex and a combination of many things. Oil viscosity does one thing, spring rate another and air pressure adds another variable and then there is sag, your weight on the bike. Valving thru the oil system can be changed, spring options have no end.
Back in the 70's, we drilled/threaded out our fork caps so we could add a Schrader valve and squirt some air into our front forks. As far as I know, that just helped the springs.
I am not any where close to an expert but every component of your suspension can be adjusted. Focus on what you feel need improvement to suite your needs.

Back in the 70's, we drilled/threaded out our fork caps so we could add a Schrader valve and squirt some air into our front forks. As far as I know, that just helped the springs.
I am not any where close to an expert but every component of your suspension can be adjusted. Focus on what you feel need improvement to suite your needs.

I remember doing this on my 1972 Yamaha 125. We would also weld a plate on top of the swing-arm so we could move the shocks up. Block off the oil injection so we could run Pre-mix. Preston Petty plastic fenders. Full Bore Boots. Then came the Honda Elsinore that changed MX bike forever. 239946

Oh those were the days.

Well mr prhaussies I ask the question because trying to find a mod cheaply as possible due to limited income. Also to find what other rider have done and to learn from them I have had this bandit 1250 since new2007 and have know that the front forks were on the soft side just trying to improve ride quality.

He was actually correct.....The best thing to do is find out what your current spring rates are then your weight and start with spring. Thats actually the correct way. Determine your static sag and sag. Look at Race Tech for charts.

He was actually correct.....The best thing to do is find out what your current spring rates are then your weight and start with spring. Thats actually the correct way. Determine your static sag and sag. Look at Race Tech for charts.
Yep, that is the correct, more thorough way. But as a start on a limited budget adding heavier oil is an acceptable method for normal/casual riding.. If more serious riding is planned then other procedures are suggested.

Just wondering. Have you attempted to set sag for your weight?

Hi, I wasn't trying to offend you. It just seemed the initial question didn't give us a clue to the end result you were looking for or the bike in question.
My 06 V-Strom has a screw adjuster for spring pre-load on the fork caps. Forget drilling out and adding schrader valves to boost the fork springs. Most racing dirt bikes have air adjustment as a fine tuning option.
Oil controls compression and rebound dampening, it might mask a too soft spring rate but is not the fix. You slow the compression (stiffer) but the (front) tire doesn't set back on the pavement due to the slower rebound dampening. That could lead to a scary situation. A good pair of progressive springs, matched to your weight...Just my guess, will make you a happy camper.
There are folks on this forum that know way more than I do on this subject and all of us are your friend.

No offense taken lol I know the suspension is soft so this weekend going to pull the fork tubes off and take them apart do inspection and change the oil for the first time . Should be fun.

I do remember. I was so poor back them I couldn't afford much. My Jemco pipe was my pride and joy. I remember watching the MX races at Rio Bravo. Jeff ward was on a Honda XR 75 and was getting smoked by the local kid from Houston Named Shaun Kelly (until he crashed) Broc Glover showed up with the 1st water cooled Yamaha 125 and decimated the class. DeCoster blew away the 500 class.

In the WAY BACK MACHINE...Broc spanked, Bob Hanna was there...1978 to 80 Kent Howerton (The King of San Antonio)...more, more, more
Outdoor MX cannot be beat. Sorry for the thread hijack. We need to start a vintage MX thread. I haven't grown up yet!!! (And do not intend to.)

Probably had 10 wt. in there. What the heck, put some 15 wt. in there and if you don't like it pour it out and put something lighter in there again. No big deal. I say go for it!

while on this topic, anyone have an idea what fork set up would be best for a 215# bandit 1250 rider? This has got me wanting to look into doing my front this winter.

Go to race tech and look up you recommended spring rates by weight and ability. I looked at it and there is a lot of information

Back