• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fork Seals

Forks are done and I finished installing them back on the bike a few minutes ago. Thank goodness for that nice little cool front that came through last night! Even with the cooler temps the humidity had me sweating my butt off.

Bike Life Power Sports did well overall. They didn't finish when they originally promised due to a shipping delay on the seals, so no fault of theirs on that. However, they did say they had the seals in stock when I first dropped the forks off. Oh well....couple extra days, no big deal. They were good at communicating with me, so that was very much appreciated.

Fork seal are easy, of course if you grow up riding offroad and dont learn how to do your own you will spend all your fun money at dealers. I do have the tools now but used PVC pipe made seal drivers in years past.
If your just doing seals, bushings and fluids not a real big deal, now if you start trying to decide shim stacks and valving maybe leave that to someone who does it often enough to be proficient at it.

A few years ago I would be right there with ya, driving those seals in with PVC pipe. These days I'm happy to let someone else do it, especially since I don't ride dirt and rarely, if ever, replace seals. I could either spend my fun money on tools that sit on the shelf for 10 or 20 years, or spend it on getting it done at the dealer. Not much difference in my opinion. Since 1991 when I started riding, this is the first bike I've kept long enough to need seals (furiously knocks on wood :lol2: :lol2: ).

Yea, I do change them every year depending on how much I ride that year on the street bikes when I do fork fluid changes just because I have the tools and I still enjoy my garage therapy time. Fork seal driver is not too expensive and I like buying tools as much as I do guns:trust:

Back