• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Former Early Iron Butt Rider

Reaction score
Good morning everyone

Good morning Everyone
One of the old timers of the infancy of the Iron Butt Rally. I participated in 85 rally after reading about the first rally in 84. Back in the old seat of the pants days before cellphone, computers and GPS. Back when all we had was a map , a sharpie and a lot of luck. Back than there was not a lot of preplanning involved as we never knew the bonus locations until about 30 min before leaving the checkpoints. Starting out in Pennsylvania and going counterclockwise I did quite well until Texas (tie for 3rd) where they gave up on trying to change my rear tire and left it for me to do. Anyone who ever ran the Carlisle tires will remember the struggle. After loosing about 8 hours I was not able to go for the Florida stop and headed back to Pennsylvania for the finish. I tried again 87 but after my sponsor ride pulled out a week before the start of the rally I was left with just a 76 limited Goldwing which developed electrical issues about 1200 miles in. Have been considering coming out of retirement and having another shot at it and at the same time setting a new record for most years between rallies currently at 32 years and counting

Hi Al, and welcome. We do have a dedicated LD sub-forum, so I'm sure your experience would be more than welcomed if you want to share some knowledge. We also have a 2019 IBR thread currently going in that forum. May I ask your IBA number?

I am not sure that I ever had a IBA number If you look in the old records of participants my name was incorrectly stated as Allen Greenwood from Massachusetts

A post on the LDRiders email list by Eric Valliancort (#488) listed all IBA members of the one, two, and three digit variety back in January of this year.

I believe at might have been the first Bite The Wieeenie event I went to, I was introduced to George Swetland - IBA #5 as well as Dave McQueeny - IBA#29. Of course, all those certificates signed by IBA #23 himself. :mrgreen:

Have been considering coming out of retirement and having another shot at it and at the same time setting a new record for most years between rallies currently at 32 years and counting.

Yeah, you'd probably get a gold-plated invite, should you choose to do so. :rider:

All the 1 and 2 digit riders:

1984:
1 George Egloff
2 Kim Davis
3 Alan Pease
4 Ed Thompson
5 George Swetland
6 Roy Eastwood
7 Jim Newberry
8 Chuck Aughinbaugh
9 David Mallet
10 Richard Sommers