• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fort Worth to Hyder Alaska June 14-30 2019

BTW, the Cassiar highway is the real nice way to see bears and unfortunately has a long, bad history of hitchhiking indigineous women getting murdered along it by some serial killer. Did not worry me, but apparently it is legend there. Don't know if they ever caught him. Only learned of it due to roadsigns announcing the problem....

So you are saying your DS tires last longer on pavement running highway speeds than on dirt?

Most definitely. Probably a factor of 2:1 or better. Highway riding though, no around town holliganism, burnouts or unnecessary braking. Even on twisty pavement I brake sparingly, almost all controlled downshifts. I recently put on a new rear tire and headed straight to Big Bend. A little under 2k miles total but with 3 days of flogging the heavy pig in the rocks it chewed up, wore down and chunked the tire some where it looked like it had 5k miles on it.

Another factor is I will get use out of a tire on pavement after it is already retired for any dirt.

Lake Francois up there has the best lake trout in the world. Silver Bullet needs to try em with a Steel Reserve to diminish tire life.

BTW, the Cassiar highway is the real nice way to see bears and unfortunately has a long, bad history of hitchhiking indigineous women getting murdered along it by some serial killer. Did not worry me, but apparently it is legend there. Don't know if they ever caught him. Only learned of it due to roadsigns announcing the problem....

Bears, skeeters and now loose killers...what could go wrong [emoji23]

Joe and I really appreciate you guys sharing about these places. Keep them coming.

Are radar detectors allowed in Canada? Joe has one and he will be leading. If he gets pulled over he knows I will be waiting for him 5 miles up the road[emoji41]

Bears, skeeters and now loose killers...what could go wrong [emoji23]

Joe and I really appreciate you guys sharing about these places. Keep them coming.

Are radar detectors allowed in Canada? Joe has one and he will be leading. If he gets pulled over he knows I will be waiting for him 5 miles up the road[emoji41]

This is a good question for the masses. I do have a radar detector on board for what good they are (got a speeding ticket last weekend) and was wondering myself if they were allowed in Canada? I can easily remove it and stow it away in a saddle bag but would like to know before the border crossing if this is necessary.
I already feel naked without being able to carry a weapon or bear spray from the US. Now I possibly cant even watch for radar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is a good question for the masses. I do have a radar detector on board for what good they are (got a speeding ticket last weekend) and was wondering myself if they were allowed in Canada? I can easily remove it and stow it away in a saddle bag but would like to know before the border crossing if this is necessary.
I already feel naked without being able to carry a weapon or bear spray from the US. Now I possibly cant even watch for radar?

Radar Detectors are legal in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan. They are illegal in all other Provinces in Canada

You can carry Bear Spray across the border. Mace is illegal to carry into Canada, but if the spray is clearly labelled for use as protection against animals, it is legal to carry across the border.

Here is a link to my Alaska trip in 2017: https://www.texasmorleys.com/2010-2019/2017/2017-MyBigRide/index.html

Attachments

• Want to bring bear spray into Canada.pdf
    800.5 KB · Views: 280
Radar Detectors are legal in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan. They are illegal in all other Provinces in Canada

You can carry Bear Spray across the border. Mace is illegal to carry into Canada, but if the spray is clearly labelled for use as protection against animals, it is legal to carry across the border.

Here is a link to my Alaska trip in 2017: https://www.texasmorleys.com/2010-2019/2017/2017-MyBigRide/index.html

I enjoyed that ride report, thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best thing to do is go the speed limit in Canada. Lots of critters and RCMP. Its pricey to get a ticket and may be more legal trouble than you want. According to my riding parnter in BC, its way more complicated than a USA ticket...

Best thing to do is go the speed limit in Canada. Lots of critters and RCMP. Its pricey to get a ticket and may be more legal trouble than you want. According to my riding parnter in BC, its way more complicated than a USA ticket...

Sounds like we need to plan on being 100% legal while riding in Canada and Alaska. Not a problem with cruise control and throttle lock. I am getting ready for this trip and figuring out what I don’t really need to pack. Looks like we have a pretty good plan with a couple of adjustments.
Thanks for all your comments and input!

I got a speeding ticket in Yukon in 2016 from rcmp. Probably running around 135 in a 100 on a remote stretch of the Alcan headed to Whitehorse. It was only about $45. However, it did show up on my driving record later on.

dosxxs, PM me with your email and I'll snd you a great pack list we have used for years on our longer trips.

Got 2 rooms booked. They discourage tent camping in Hyder due to bears. I am good with that lol.

I didn’t know this, but they have a Sasquatch. It’s on you tube so it must be true:)

9c61172cb04275047b2c1f1eff6d8583.jpg

I have contacted a few people on Advrider in the tentspace thread for Canada camping spots.

We leave Amarillo Saturday 15th. Gives us 5 days to get to Hyder. 2400 miles from Amarillo.

Probably do 800 miles on Saturday since it is all open road. Get a hotel in Buffalo Wy.

Sunday Buffalo to Lethbridge ab. 573 miles, get a hotel. Hotels are cheap in Canada! Most expensive is $100.

Monday: Lethbridge to Jasper 400 miles. Camp in Jasper National Park, Pocahontas campground. Lots of birds, few mosquitoes, hot springs to go skinny dipping [emoji1787]

Tuesday: Jasper to Smithers. Advrider tent space. 460 miles.

Wednesday: Smithers to Hyder: 200 miles.

Thursday: leave or stay in Hyder. I think we can see Salmon glacier Wednesday. Check in hotel drop off gear and go to glacier.

Thursday: Hyder - Prince George 436 miles. Advrider tent space.

Friday: pg- kamloops bc. 350 miles.

Saturday: kamloops to creston bc. 358 miles.

Sunday: creston to either lolo national forest in Idaho or east glacier. Either way a 300 mile day.

Monday: to pinedale Wy or Pocatello Id 400 miles. Depends if we are in the mood to do a Utah or Colorado playground.

Tuesday: south, south east or southwest. I know these states well. I will base the destination On what what Joe and Craig want to see. Since I was in charge getting us in and out of Canada :)

Either way, we hit camp at 4pm the rest of the trip.

After Hyder, then it is just riding till about 4pm each day, set up camp and enjoy nature, a cold drink and a nice steak!

Still trying to decide to hit Glacier coming back. I have been there twice and it is like Yellowstone with traffic. Considering lolo pass in Idaho.

We will see what kind of mood we are in after Kamloops bc.

How do you mount your Spot? I need to get one of those before I take off on the solo adventures.

[QUO

You can do Glacier, drop down to Missoula and hit highway 12 Lolo Pass, about 8 miles or so out of town at Lolo. It's considered a world class bike road for sure. I used to live in Missolua and we went out to the lodge, I'm thinking about 70 miles down 12 into Idaho every Wed night for dinner, with a bunch of crazy riders, and a few sane ones. I like the VFR pic with the keg on back, and the dirtier style tires. I hope you don't need another set along the way. I have a friend in Missoula who installs em on the fanciest Snap On machine you ever saw in his shop, if you drop ship tires to his home. What did ya'll do other than the footpegs for the riding position?

Still trying to decide to hit Glacier coming back. I have been there twice and it is like Yellowstone with traffic. Considering lolo pass in Idaho.

[/QUOTE]

I am breaking my cardinal rule: no big additions or changes on bike when I am within 2 weeks of launch date.

I am installing the mccruise Monday evening on the twin.

The instructions seems pretty clear and it is all plug and play.

Surrrrrellllyyy I couldn’t screw it up that bad [emoji1787]

I am breaking my cardinal rule: no big additions or changes on bike when I am within 2 weeks of launch date.

I am installing the mccruise Monday evening on the twin.

The instructions seems pretty clear and it is all plug and play.

Surrrrrellllyyy I couldn’t screw it up that bad [emoji1787]

Paging Super Dave! Please come to Kevin’s rescue. I will be out of town this week or I would come and help.

[QUO

You can do Glacier, drop down to Missoula and hit highway 12 Lolo Pass, about 8 miles or so out of town at Lolo. It's considered a world class bike road for sure. I used to live in Missolua and we went out to the lodge, I'm thinking about 70 miles down 12 into Idaho every Wed night for dinner, with a bunch of crazy riders, and a few sane ones. I like the VFR pic with the keg on back, and the dirtier style tires. I hope you don't need another set along the way. I have a friend in Missoula who installs em on the fanciest Snap On machine you ever saw in his shop, if you drop ship tires to his home. What did ya'll do other than the footpegs for the riding position?

[/QUOTE]

Almost 400 mile range with the aux tank at sea level so at altitude I should get 400 no problem. I have a spare rear tire I will strap down between the aux tank and my pillion cooler that will serve as my back rest. Between the large rider pegs, highway pegs, Russell Day Long seat and grip puppies there is not much left to make it any more comfortable.

Sounds like you got it nailed. Wish ya'll a great trip. I rode a GSA on my trip with 8.9 cap. so had the big range, but it really was not necessary. I think a 180-200 range would be sufficient, but when you are carrying alll the gear and making time as well, gas can disappear fast especially if you get a headwind. Better safe and not worry.

Back