• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Found - Wanted: Beater KLR for a Big Bend trip

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Last Name
mccarroll
I've got a buddy coming down from Chicago next spring to do a Big Bend trip with me. Since he's not retired yet (unlike myself :-D) he's short on time so he's gonna fly into Austin, I'll pick him up at the airport with bikes already loaded in the the truck and we'll head west.

Problem is I've only got one KLR, and we figure it's probably cheaper in the long run to just buy another one rather than ship his bike down and back from Chicago. We might just turn around and sell it after the trip's done.

So, I'm looking for a Gen 1 KLR650 in decent mechanical shape. Cosmetics aren't important, but I'm hoping for a solid, reliable machine. I'd like to keep the cost down to $1500 or so; I figure on replacing chain/sprockets/tires as a matter of routine prep, but would be willing to pay a little more if the bike doesn't need those things.

Alternatively, if anybody is willing to loan or rent a Big Bend capable machine to a, ahem, mature and very experienced rider for a week or two, that would be very cool.

I live near Brenham, so I'd like to find something within a few hours' drive; Houston/Austin/San Antonio area would be ideal.

Thanks!

Re: Wanted: Beater KLR for a Big Bend trip

Why buy when you can possibly rent one: Try GSMmotoRent.com

"GSMmotoRent announces the opening of their winter base in Terlingua Texas conveniently located between the Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park.

GSMmotoRent's decision to offer rental bikes in West Texas came about for several reasons. First, due to the winter weather in the Smoky Mountains they are typically closed during this time of year. Second, owner Dan Dickie states "Because of the variety of terrain and the history of the Big Bend area it is one of the best places to ride dual sport bikes." And third, it is our hope to expose more riders to one of the more beautiful, remote areas of this country.

Beginning Feb. 20th, 2011 bikes will be available on a first come first served basis or by reserving through the website or calling 865-448-6090. The fleet will include Kawasaki KLR 650's, one which has been lowered, Kawasaki KLX250S, and Suzuki DR200 bikes. Single day as well as discounts for multi-day rentals are available."

I know Philip rented one for this past's March's Around the Bend. Not sure if it was the same as above.

Exercise some Google-Fu if the above website doesn't pan out, and you may be able to pin down another rental bike guy and spare yourself going through the hassel of buying a bike that you may end up having to do a ton of work on to get it ride ready to your liking.

Thanks, Trice, I'll check that out!

I rented one of the DR200s, had a blast and returned it with a thick layer of dust! On most of BBNP it will be able to keep up with a KLR unless you're some kinda Dakar rider.

I rented one of the DR200s, had a blast and returned it with a thick layer of dust! On most of BBNP it will be able to keep up with a KLR unless you're some kinda Dakar rider.

What was the rental cost for a weekend?

I checked out the GSMmotoRent site, it looks like they only rent in BB until early March, but we're planning to go in late April or early May so that may not work for us. I'll give them a call anyway--never hurts to ask.

I guess you could call that cheap dirty fun :deal:

That should have appeal :lol2:

Your Rented Bike Now Has A Flat On Old Ore Road

A cautionary word for renters of motos for BBNP & BBRSP:

Be sure to settle in your mind the issue of spare tubes and tools to deal with flats before you leave out for Big Bend to pick up your rental bike.

Do not assume the rental bike comes with this stuff.

A compressor? Spoons? Socket for the axle nuts?

You won't easily find that stuff near the park if at all, and you don't want to find yourself in the boonies with a flat and no way to fix it.

Do your due diligence in this department and don't assume anything. Verify.

Last edited:

Yup, and ACW....always carry water....more than you think you need....:sun:

Lots of possibilities! My buddy is off riding in Wisconsin this weekend so no decisions yet.

Did you check out the one for $1400? Purrdy cheap.

Attachments

• 01717_ekzds4LjH5P_600x450.jpg
    01717_ekzds4LjH5P_600x450.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 142

That is the one I told him about but they went up $100??? Found another one but no title.

Maybe they reposted it at the higher price to make it look as if it was a new post? Cheap enough,and pre-ugly so no worries in a fall!:rofl:

Bought one from a TWT'er:

i-hmvfkKL-L.jpg

Thanks, Dave!

I saw that and thought of you. That was a darn good buy!

Yeah, it needs a back tire and a battery and maybe a carb cleanout, but it seems pretty solid and the seller was very upfront about the condition of the bike. In person it was actually nicer than I expected. I think it'll clean up just fine and work for my intended use.

Thanks DirtBikeDave and TWT!

Yeah, it needs a back tire and a battery and maybe a carb cleanout, but it seems pretty solid and the seller was very upfront about the condition of the bike. In person it was actually nicer than I expected. I think it'll clean up just fine and work for my intended use.

Thanks DirtBikeDave and TWT!

I was trying to get my dad to buy that one. I'd like to know where these deals where when I was looking lol.

I was wondering if you had bought it RT. I figured you had. :clap:

Back