• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Four Bikers and a Monkey

Squeaky said:
I'm hoping we'll all add our personal accounts of our favorites, least favorites, what we'd do differently, who we would leave behind, who we'd add, etc.
Fixed it for you. ;-)

We all enjoyed reading the updates and you should know that you created a huge amount of envy on the board for what you all did. We really did look forward to each new update.

Best. Thread. Ever.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Glad you all made it home safe and sound.

I am looking forward to the day when Mark and I can start making trips like these...4-1/2 more years til Alex goes to college.

Thank you so much for having shared this trip with all of us. The writing and the pictures were outstanding and kept me checking back regularly for the latest updates. And I'm so glad that you all made it back home safe and sound. No better way to cap off a long trip that pull into your driveway no worse for the wear.

Ok, bike and gear performance...

- 3160 miles added to the VStrom. Some bikes had more, some had less. 2-up was usually the Strom and the Yellow VFR.

- The VStrom took a dive (while parked) at Bottomless Lakes outside Roswell, but it fell on soft dirt and there was absolutely no damage. Whew!

- The VStrom was used to charge the laptop at the same park that it tipped over in (that's why it was on soft ground to begin with - next to the picnic table) and it wouldn't start. Luckily, we had homemade MC jumper cables with us. When we rolled the yellow VFR beside it to hook them up, the Strom miraculously started on its own. Go figure.

- The right rear tail light on the SVS stopped working at Bottomless Lakes, but the bulb wasn't blown. They guys scraped the contacts on both the bulb and the receptacle, and it was working again.

- The Yellow VFR blew a fuse when Erik tried to scare some goats. He had installed the new LOUDER air horn only a week prior to the trip, and there wasn't time for a relay (or whatever it's called). He blew the fuse again (sacrificed it, really) during Dallas rush hour traffic when someone tried to run over Deb.

- The Yellow VFR had thermostat issues. In cold weather, it had very poor fuel consumption because it was stuck open. On warmer days, it was fine. The red VFR had the same issues before the trip, so Gavin had already replaced his.

- Throttle locks are either friend or foe. Mine worked fine, Gavin's was touch-and-go, Deb stopped using her o-ring at one point because it was getting stuck, and Erik lost his somewhere on the road after he rolled it out of position. Gavin and Erik are both looking at actual cruise control before the next big trip.

- Givi cases are not perfect. My key snapped, but I had a spare. Had I not packed it, I would still be able to open and close the cases with the stub and a pair of pliers, but it wouldn't have been fun. One of my cases stopped closing securely around Plano, but I've had that problem before and I have bungees cris-crossed on them for a reason.

- Erik's tank bag (came with the bike when he bought it) has a poorly-designed map pocket and anything placed in it will eventually blow away. This includes his mega-comfortable bacalava.

- Rubber tie straps that you cut to length and add snap clips to are the coolest invention ever! They are completely customized to avoid lots of flapping extra length, and they hold up great.

- Waterproof compression sack with built-in pirge valve was good, but the closure system on the one we had was tough. It basically required two people to close it properly, one to hold the stuff in the bag down away from the seal and the other to roll it and clip it.

- Adjustable bungee nets are priceless. We had three on the trip, one of which has seen better days (it was like that before we left) but they are great for getting 'just one more thing' onto the bike without having to fit it into an already-stuffed bag.

- We packed too much clothing. Granted, we only did laundry once and most of us ran out of clean clothes, but we could have easily done with losing a third to half of what we thought we'd need. Part of the problem was drastic changes in weather (had to prepare for Texas heat and mountain cold) but we didn't really care about wearing the same stuff over like I thought we would.

- Too many shoes. Knowing that hiking or lots of walking was going to be included, we all added a pair of shoes/sneakers in addition to our riding boots. We used them and our feet were happy for it, but we probably would do without them next time. River shoes (only Deb and I brought them) are a good thing to have, and they pack pretty small. If you ziploc them, you can just stuff them in with all your clothes and they take up less space than a pair of jeans.

- Stove: MSR Whisperlite International. Worked like a charm. The first few times we used it, we were just getting used to it. After a few days, we were pros. Worked well on the Coleman camp fuel that we started with, and just as well (but with a funny smell and a little more soot) with unleaded gas when we refilled it.

- Cookware: GSI Hard Anodized Aluminum with Teflon Coating. 5-piece set (small pot with lid/frypan and large pot with lid/frypan and a handle for all. We used just about all the pieces, and even set up a double-boiler of sorts to attempt to 'bake' in the small pot. It kinda worked. We also used a small grill that was supposed to be used to grill some steaks over open flame (dag nabbit, fire ban the whole time) to elevate the pan off the stove flame to make pancakes without burning them. Worked like a charm.

- Bisquick shake & pour (just add water) pancakes are amazingly easy. The WalMart brand stinks. Spend the extra $ .50 and you’ll see why.

- Tents: North Face Merlin 33 (both of them). Very nice tents. Easy to set up and take down once we got used to them, rain flys kept everything cozy (when they were on) and adequate vestibule space for stuff. Riding gear was stowed inside. A small hole was discovered on Erik's, but it's fairly small and easily patchable. The tent stacks STINK! You'd think that a tent that retails for $329 would have half-decent stakes. They bent no matter what the ground was made of. Both Gavin and Erik are going to buy some titanium stakes before the tents are used again. Stake mallet/puller was added at our first WalMart trip, and was cheap. The puller fell out of the handle the first time it was used, but we glued it back in with epoxy and it's fine now. I carried it on the outside of my right saddlebag, and it was joked about that I could pull it out of the bungee and fling it at a driver if necessary, and nobody would feel bad about the $1.97 we spent on it.

- Sleep Pad: REI 2.5 – I loved it. Packed easily, self-inflating, you can add air if you need, and it made sleeping on the ground very comfy. I also took air out and put the pad in the hammock for a nap in AZ.

- North Face 40 Degree Sleeping Bag. I was cold some nights, but I also didn’t dress properly going to bed on those nights and it got below 40 on a few. The bag will work well for 3-season camping here in Texas, but mountains are not what it’s made for.

- Genmar up & back riders – worked like a charm to put my arms and shoulders in a very comfortable position for high mileage days.

I probably forgot some stuff, so ask away!

Interesting stuff! Tell me more about the sleep pad. How thick is it? I like camping but I'm too old to be sleeping on the ground without some padding.

:tab The synthetic clothing is great for trips. It packs very small. It is comfy over a wide range of temps. It can be cleaned with soap and water in a sink or under a faucet, be wrung out and dried by morning. I pack three pants (think long johns) to wear under my riding suit, three shirts, a single pair of jeans and/shorts and maybe a few regular shirts. It packs small. We did 10 days in Colroado, Utah, AZ and NM and the only thing I used was the single 50L Maxia GIVI bag. I had my cable lock and bike cover strapped to the rear seat. The downside is that this stuff can be expensive if you don't find good deals on it! If you buy T-shirts while travelling, you will run out of room quick. Several can be sent home via USPS for a few bucks.

:tab The river shoes are great for campsite walking, but for anything more, I would want a pair of shoes or boots. Fortunately, my SIDI boots are extremely comfy. They are my daily wear even when I don't ride. Again though, at $270/pair they are not cheap.

:tab I don't know how you snapped that GIVI key?! I have used them extensively and never even had one bend slightly. Was it the E21's you were having trouble with getting to close? They are pretty thin and flex a good bit so over packing them can cause problems and also cause interference with the internal locking mechanism. The larger E360 bags like Deb's and the E50 I used are better in this regard. They are also quite rugged.

:tab Throttle locks are nice for the bike wide open expanses. I preferred the VIsta Cruise model on the VFR's. I never really liked the Throttlemeisters or the O-ring approach. Ease of use and disabling is a must!

:tab Glad the strom was not damaged. Good to have all you guys back in one piece. Thanks for the report.

Oh, and I spent 198.04 on fuel total over the whole trip. I am going to work on finishing up the spreadsheet of mileage for each tank of gas, then I'll post that as well (average price per gallon, miles ridden, overall mileage, etc.)

I suppose I should add some links for the gear, eh?

GSI Hard Anodized Non Stick Extreme Cookware
Great all-around cookware. If I was doing a solo trip, I'd leave the large pot and pan at home and save some space & weight, and the handle, stove, and small towel tuck into the small pot nicely.

REI Camp Bed 2.5 Self Inflating Pad-Regular
Took a few tried at getting the re-packing down so that most of the air gets out and it fits in the stuff sack, but it was easy after 2 or 3 tries. The REI brand (as opposed to the more expensive Thermarest brand) came with the stuff sack and repair kit. Not only keeps you off the ground a bit, but has insulating qualities as well for cold situations. Polyester is smoother than the fabric on the Thermarest one, but if you're in your sleeping bag anyway it doesn't make much of a difference.
**NOTE - when in dire need, the well-inflated sleep pad can be put on top of a horribly cracked picnic table to allow for a game of dominoes** :clap:

MSR Whisperlite International Backpacking Stove
Took a little getting used to priming and lighting a liquid fuel stove, but this really is a neat thing to have. Can run on almost any liquid fuel (comes with 2 self-cleaning jets in diff sizes for diff fuels) so refilling at the pump along with the bike was simple, and if you are really out in the middle of nowhere you can siphon out of your bike. NOTHING about this stove is a whisper - it's loud and sounds like a jet engine. It doesn't simmer, just high heat. Perfect for boiling water, but if you want to cook something without burning it you;ll have to get the pot a little bit away from the heat.

We used this:
Open Country Explorer 12 x 6 Grid
We brought this to make steaks over a fire or a pile of charcoal, but the fire ban ruled that out. Still was great to have it for the pancakes!

The plates, bowls, cups, and utensils were from WalMart. Plastic, held up well, cleaned off easily, and had 4 colors for everything so each of us knew which was ours (so if you didn't feel like washing out your cup after a glass of fruit punch two days ago, nobody else had to suffer because of it). Total for everyone was just under $8. Can't beat it!

Never got to use the potato peeler or can opener. Had some MREs and a few backpacker meals, but also made ramen, oatmeal, tea, cocoa, etc. Other than the pancakes, we probably could have gotten away with a Jetboil but I'll save that for a solo trip.

Tourmeister said:
:tab I don't know how you snapped that GIVI key?! I have used them extensively and never even had one bend slightly. Was it the E21's you were having trouble with getting to close? They are pretty thin and flex a good bit so over packing them can cause problems and also cause interference with the internal locking mechanism. The larger E360 bags like Deb's and the E50 I used are better in this regard. They are also quite rugged.

Let's just say I've been quite rough with the bags. Besides one of them falling off my bike in Austin and one flying open and spewing my unmentionables at David on a ride in the woods, I've had to duct tape the cracks to keep water out (works unless it's a monsoon) and I don't think I've ever NOT overpacked them. Getting them closed sometimes requires sitting on them. The key had visible damage going into the trip, which is why I brought the spare (and you say I never think ahead! ;-) )

I liked the way Deb's and Gavin's Givis closed and locked a lot better, but I just don't have the cash for new bags. I didn't have time to get my penny-tech ones done and tested before the trip, though.

I agree with the UA/synthetic clothes comment, but like you said - it ain't cheap. The only souveniers I got were a keychain and two squished pennies. I think Deb got a shotglass. Other than supplies from WalMart and food, etc. we didn't add anything to our mounds of gear along the way. We did think about shipping clothes back to ourselves, though - but we just layered them on cold days and stowed them creatively on warm days.

My rain gear was nothing more than wind gear on this trip. Didn't see a drop while riding, other than comoing back from WalMart in Roswell and I didn't have it with me. It sure help cut the chill when the wind gusted, though (both on and off the bike).

Texas T said:
And now for the really important info... how about wireless access?

Iffy. Had a Cingular 3G-enabled card, so wherever you could get a half-decent phone call through we could get the web. Was faster and easier sponging off unsecured WiFi at restaurants and such, but those were few and far between. In Santa Rosa, we actually had to have the laptop on the back of my bike (parked, of course) to get a signal. Lots of mountains to block reception. Worst overall was Palo Duro Canyon, but hey - we were at the bottom of a canyon, what did we expect?

The slow connections made hosting pics tough, that's for sure. Writing the story in MS Word and saving each day as its own file made it easy to see where we'd left off each time and to see what we'd already uploaded. I got pretty good at sorting all of the files and folders to keep it as organized as possible.

We'll be throwing the whole thing on a CD (with all the pics and vids, not just the ones that made it to the web) and hopefully we can put a slideshow or presentation together so our families can go through it easily.

Maybe we should sell them... :trust:

Gilk51 said:
That's not what I heard! That monkey tried to stow away - he was afraid ya'll were going to subject him to another day full of red dust! He was trying to escape! :giveup:

Apparently he WAS successful. Actually, this is not the same monkey they showed us before they set out on the trip. Five bonus points goes to the person who can point out the picture that proves they swapped in a stunt double sometime between the announcement of the trip, and the time they got home.

mapmaker said:
Interesting stuff! Tell me more about the sleep pad. How thick is it? I like camping but I'm too old to be sleeping on the ground without some padding.
When my sons were in Boys Scouts, the pad of choice was a ThermaRest. These can be found at any sporting goods store that sells good quality camping supplies - REI, Oshman's, Dick's, etc. They have several sizes and, I think, thicknesses. They are designed to be carried by backpackers, so they are strong and light and self-inflating.

My sons lucked out since their aunt Judy (my wife's sister) had two that weren't being used and gave them to the boys. They still have them, ten years later.

Gilk51 said:
When my sons were in Boys Scouts, the pad of choice was a ThermaRest.
+1
I have a thermarest that I used for a 30 day bicycle ride through the Rockies back in '81, multiple backpacking trips since then and it's still works like new (25 years old). Did have to put some silicone goop around the valve base about 10 years ago. :rider:

I learned that…

…if you can’t tie a knot, tie a lot.

…when you’re hungry, even raw pancake batter can be yummy.

…when looking at a dark campsite with your headlamp, all those reflective bits from bikes and gear look really spooky. Especially if you have a red light option on your headlamp.

…the one night out of 13 that you don’t put the rain fly on, it will rain on you in your sleep.

…mosquitoes will only bite the one person in a group that has bothered to put on bug spray.

…margarine packets from a restaurant don’t need to be refrigerated, but they do need to be packed AWAY from any and all electrical components.

…people will look at you funny when you’re an adult carrying a stuffed monkey around.

…kids love to sit on motorcycles if they’re parents say it’s ok.

…a trip to Wal-Mart with four people will take at least an hour and a half, no matter how little time you can afford to spend there.

…adding flavored non-dairy creamer powder to hot cocoa is yummy, but it’s not as yummy when the container opens and gets on everything else and makes even dinner taste like French vanilla.

…it takes four people to wash and dry two bowls and four cups without them getting dirty again.

…we all look funny with three inches of denim sticking out the bottom of our riding pants.

…a few extra packets of crackers from the table at the restaurant will become breakfast the next morning when you just add some military-issue cheese.

…ramen noodles are good, but beef stroganoff is better.

…you can make an apple/oatmeal upside-down cake out of very few ingredients and resources when your sweet tooth just won’t quit.

…some people just don’t like oatmeal no matter what you do to it.

…ascending 4000 feet in elevation in less than an hour can cause the temperature to drop and the scenery to overload your senses.

…the locals are the best resource for finding places to eat.

…Arizona state parks suck and New Mexico state parks kick butt!

…if you forget to bring your military ID card, an ordained minister card will still get the 10% discount at most hotels and motels.

…you should never forget your military ID card when on a trip.

…even if you come back with only what you left with, it won’t be packed nearly as efficiently on the bike as when you started.

…if your eyes are glued to the GPS screen looking for someplace to eat/stay/refuel, you’ll pass all the restaurants/motels/gas stations that aren’t listed with Garmin.

…if the sun is setting, it’s getting cold, you’re tired and want a place to sleep, you won’t be able to find a campsite or cheap motel room for at least thirty more miles.

…if the washboard gravel road you’re on looks like it gets better in the distance, it doesn’t. That’s a mirage. Whatever you do, don’t wave the rest of your street bike-riding friends down there into the trap with you.

…hand signals only work when everyone knows what the signal means.

…custom-molded earplugs should be made with reflective material. Second best is bright fluorescent orange, so that when one falls off your bike while riding through three miles of park entrance roads, you can go back and find it again in the dark.

…a wolf beats a rabbit every time.

…condensation happens even in the driest of deserts.

…when three people with filthy minds come across a perverted scene created by nature, the fourth tries to pretend she doesn’t see it.

…nobody can get the dam park fee out of the dam deposit box other than the dam park ranger who isn’t coming back until the next day.

…nobody will let four tired bikers camp on the lawn behind their RV park office.

…taking a trip with three friends for fourteen days can either make you better friends or bitter enemies. I’ll let you know what the outcome for this trip was after I decide… ;-)

Last edited:
this cant be left alone , somebody is gonna have to explain . SEYA
when three people with filthy minds come across a perverted scene created by nature, the fourth tries to pretend she doesn’t see it.

Cagiva 549 said:
this cant be left alone , somebody is gonna have to explain . SEYA
when three people with filthy minds come across a perverted scene created by nature, the fourth tries to pretend she doesn’t see it.

Carlsbad Caverns. Re-read day 3 paying close attention to the pics. Tens of thousands of years of geology at work, and we're giggling like pre-teens.

Squeaky said:
I learned that…
…margarine packets from a restaurant don’t need to be refrigerated, but they do need to be packed AWAY from any and all electrical components.
;-)

- oops > and the rest of this story is ............ ?

- ebill

The rest of the story is that unknown to me, Rebecca decided to store the pre-packaged margarine packets in the pouch that contains the laptop power cord. I am sure you can imagine what it looked liked when opened.

Skid

And they were!

Attachments

• 20190427_132716.jpg
    20190427_132716.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 208
Back