• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fredericksburg North DS Loop - Dirt n' Dust, Dec. Sun, 8th

webnel

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
You like more dirt n' dust than paved roads? You may like this ride. Waether forcast is looking good. Headed towards Mason first and then about 115 miles w/o a fuel stop back to Fred. Can stop at Castell for a late lunch.

The Ride:
The loop is about 165ish miles and mostly dirt and sometimes pretty loose sand at times. We'll be on our lighter bikes (sub 650cc) for this ride and pace will be swift at times. This route should have some roads we typically don't use for DS so hopefully some newish stuff to some of us. Bring food for lunch on the route (just in case). Route subject to change some and may wind up in Llano (for fuel & food). The ideal participant can use a GPS with good way-finding skills.

When & Where:
Sunday, 8th 10:00am and ready to start the ride at 10:15am
Fredericksburg, TX Walmart parking lot away from storefront nearest 290. (Let's purchase goods from them while there of course)

Your Bike:
Well maintained and ready to ride. Slime'd tubes and all that good stuff.

Riders Safety gear:
Bring all your best gear and keep all riders safe and injury free. Have any emergency contact info available if needed.

The planned Loop:

Last edited:
Mike-

Ride sounds like fun. I've put it on my calendar. I'll be on my Tiger 800.

Matt

GPS route attached to first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great group of folks showed up for the ride. And a really impressive set of bikes including some new ones.

This loop is about 170 miles and maybe 70% of really nice dirt.

035175855cdfe2e25fdd86f8a0367902.jpg
2665b666520f3c6e00375725cd2c1faf.jpg
4060ee88d4a9682d2cc56b914d5ef72b.jpg
4b4ab7d0f5c3f2d5118a616fbc8e6ca9.jpg
f0fc35ca1ccdd3c47c81d1d8b457d66f.jpg
41eb4c1dd7a024fc3b3952d5fa4bf3ec.jpg

Last edited:
what time did y'all get back to starting point? or, rather, how long did it take to do the loop?

looks like a great way to spend the day.

Got back about 4pm and lunch was about 40 min.

what time did y'all get back to starting point? or, rather, how long did it take to do the loop?

looks like a great way to spend the day.

Oh, SpiritAtBay we had another female riding orange today BTW.

Mike thanks a lot for putting together the ride, I had a great time!
Looking forward for the next time...

Luis

Mike,

Looks like you put on a fun ride! Wish I lived closer. If you recall, we camped together with Guy at the same location last year at Around the Bend.:thumb:

Yes, I my camp there again for the next one. Look fwd to seeing u there if u go again.

I plan to ride Fred Mason next Saturday with the 501. Anyone want to meet at Walmart at 9:00 - 9:30?

I would, but it my last weekend before MX.

I plan to ride Fred Mason next Saturday with the 501. Anyone want to meet at Walmart at 9:00 - 9:30?

If I am not picking up a 501 myself on Saturday I might be game to meet in Doss and ride the loop back to where it gets close to Loyal Valley. Works better for me than heading into Fred that way. Would Sunday be out instead of Saturday?

Saturday work better for me, I am planing to trail my bike from Austin to Fred to save some knobby. I am not sure about starting at Doss, It a loop ride let cats the map somewhere and share.

No worries. I just don't know yet if I'll be heading the opposite direction Saturday to TJ's and Saturday has a higher chance of rain currently. I'll keep in touch on my schedule.

If you are doing the loop above, then Doss will be the first spot you pick up dirt. You could either ride the full loop and I could pick up with you at that point then break off again where the road picks up on 2323 and dirt back to Doss and you head back to Fred (that will be an all pavement run from the split point into Fred) or it could be made into a more dirt / less pavement loop starting and ending in Doss if wanted. If doing it that way then you would drop about 45 miles of pavement off. Those are my normal riding grounds so we could definitely modify for more dirt and more miles if desired. There are also a few side roads that come off that loop above in Mason county that are fantastic sections that could be easily added in as little loops.

Let use this Tread:

Back