• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fredericksburg to San Saba DS Loop, Jan. Sun, 5th 2020

webnel

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
The weather forecast is looking great. Lunch is planned for in San Saba and will be about 110 miles from Fred. Looking at 100 miles from San Saba back to Fred.

The Ride:
The loop is about 210ish miles and mostly dirt and sometimes pretty loose sand at times. We'll be on our lighter bikes (sub 650cc) for this ride and pace will be swift based on mileage for the day. Bring food (just in case no lunch stop). The route subject to change. The ideal participant can use a GPS with good way-finding skills.

When & Where:
Jan 2020 Sunday, 5th 9:30am and ready to start the ride at 9:45am
Fredericksburg, TX Walmart parking lot away from storefront nearest 290. (Let's purchase goods from them of course)

Your Bike:
Well maintained and ready to ride. Slime'd tubes to help prevent a tube fix on the ride.

Riders Safety gear:
Bring all your best gear and keep all riders safe and injury free. Have any emergency contact info available if needed.

The planned Loop:

History note of the area:
I'm now thinking as this as a Cherokee history route (if you will). Read or listen to the book Empire of the Summer Moon to learn about the struggles of the settlers and the Cherokee Indians. There was a lot of action within this area!

Last edited:
Great ride. We smoothly did 215 miles in perfect weather.
4af5943eb20f5c128d341f4f94e7f556.jpg
5c4bb9f5c0ba519ef9a3482d932a22ff.jpg
075a8d606339f66a5a4d5607d418b8fd.jpg
84e1ec5c82d37309bd119a052970150f.jpg

Yep, the Hill Country is awesome. Hard to keep your eyes on the road, so much beautiful scenery

:thumb:

Fantastic! I'll be riding again soon. Want to do this one! The photo by the river is unfamiliar. New road?

Fantastic! I'll be riding again soon. Want to do this one! The photo by the river is unfamiliar. New road?

I think I’ve just passed by this once before

Talked to Ranch hand at Star S Ranch at James River crossing. Ranch I believe is 20000 acres and run by South African immigrants who became American citizens. I turned around with my 4x4 truck a few weeks ago about mid loop. I was having to go too slow and wouldn't have had enough daylight. Lot of African animals under high fence and huge whitetail bucks, Beautiful country. Want to visit bat cave this summer at dusk. Think it was five dollars a person. Will take XR650 now I have extra fuel in rotopax.
Love the pictures, thanks
We camped in RV at Dos Rios (south of Mason) for 4 days and loved it They have cabins for rent as well. Reasonable if I remember. RV is 30-40 and tent camping is I think 25/ night. Check their web sight. They have showers , laundry water electric and lots of fire pits. Right where the James and Llano meet.

Not hijacking thread but this is a convenient place to pitch tent or cabin. They sell firewood too. if camping off bike. The first is one of the tent sights. Either way not far from Fredericksburg or San Saba or Mason or Llano. It is somewhat far from San Saba

Attachments

• Dos Rios 1.jpg
    Dos Rios 1.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 202
  • Dos Rios2.jpg
    Dos Rios2.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Dos Rios 3.jpg
    Dos Rios 3.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Dos Rios 4.jpg
    Dos Rios 4.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Dos Rios is about an hour from San Saba by pavement. We drove some of this loop and James river loop. May join next ride before summer. Thanks again for directions.

Good info to know about a camping spot out in the area. Thanks.

Back